Michigan State vs Iowa vs Indiana vs Illinois vs Penn State

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bryceejohnson60542

Michigan State vs Iowa vs Indiana vs Illinois vs Penn State

Postby bryceejohnson60542 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm

I have received a full tuition scholarship to all five of these big ten schools and am trying to decide which one would be the best for me. I had a 163 LSAT and 3.94 GPA.

I am interested in Sports and Entertainment Law but am not committed to this and do not want to hurt my chances of landing a top job if I decide this is not the area of law I want to pursue. If you could rank these schools 1-5 that would be great and offer any feedback you may have.

Thanks!

KMart

Re: Michigan State vs Iowa vs Indiana vs Illinois vs Penn State

Postby KMart » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:37 pm

Where do you want to practice?

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:43 pm

These schools are all entirely regional. Where do you want to live and work? You're most likely going to end up in each respective school's state after graduation.

Also, do you have significant work experience or contacts in sports management or do you know agents? Sports law is super rare and very unrealistic from these schools.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... employers/

I wouldn't go to either Michigan State or Penn State simply because their unemployment is atrocious. Otherwise, congrats on the full rides.

Wingtip88

Postby Wingtip88 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:44 pm

What kind of job within "sports and entertainment law" do you want, exactly?

Would you consider retaking the LSAT? That GPA is really high to settle on a 163.

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Retake for a 170+ and get a full-tuition scholarship at a better school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:02 pm

Retake the LSAT . In answer to your question about ranking the 5 law schools which have offered full tuition scholarships, in my opinion Illinois, Iowa & Indiana are tied if you want to practice in their respective states, while Penn State is at the bottom. Michigan State has a sports law journal & offers a dual US-Canada degree option.

bryceejohnson60542

Postby bryceejohnson60542 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:10 pm

I took the LSAT twice but canceled my score the first time and got a 163 the second time. I am pretty set on going to law school in the fall though so I do not see myself retaking the LSAT. I do not care which state I practice.

thebobs1987

Postby thebobs1987 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Agree that Michigan State and Penn State are out. Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa are basically the same. It just comes down to would you rather be in St. Louis or Chicago (Illinois), Indianapolis (Indiana), or wherever in Iowa. But as someone that goes to Illinois and is really happy with that choice, you should retake with that GPA and try to get a full ride to a t14. If not, base your decision on where you want to live

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:17 pm

It sounds like you have the misconception that just because a school has a good athletic program that the school has a good sports law program. Your goal shouldnt be to apply to "the power conferences." You should do more research on sports law and how difficult it is to get a sustainable, worthwhile job.

Schools like Marquette and Tulane have very good sports law programs. But even in saying that, you probably have a better shot to break the industry with a t14 on your JD

bryceejohnson60542

Postby bryceejohnson60542 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:38 pm

I am aware that all these schools are not known for sports and entertainment law and only two of them even have a club for lawyers aspiring to work in this area of law. However, I am not set on this area of law at all and want to explore the different areas before seeing what area i want to pursue. I do not want to limit my options by going to an lower law school that specializes in sports and entertainment law to find that this is not the area I want to pursue

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:40 pm

bryceejohnson60542 wrote:I am interested in Sports and Entertainment Law but am not committed to this and do not want to hurt my chances of landing a top job if I decide this is not the area of law I want to pursue.

Sorry, but this is a unicorn job and isn't going to happen for you.
If by "top job" you mean biglaw, then none of these schools is likely to get you that outcome.

Barring a retake & not a strong preference on where you want to practice, Illinois is the way to go here. It's biglaw placement is twice that of the other four schools.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:41 pm

bryceejohnson60542 wrote:I am aware that all these schools are not known for sports and entertainment law and only two of them even have a club for lawyers aspiring to work in this area of law. However, I am not set on this area of law at all and want to explore the different areas before seeing what area i want to pursue. I do not want to limit my options by going to an lower law school that specializes in sports and entertainment law to find that this is not the area I want to pursue

Good thinking. Specialty rankings are flame.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:45 pm

bryceejohnson60542 wrote:I am aware that all these schools are not known for sports and entertainment law and only two of them even have a club for lawyers aspiring to work in this area of law. However, I am not set on this area of law at all and want to explore the different areas before seeing what area i want to pursue. I do not want to limit my options by going to an lower law school that specializes in sports and entertainment law to find that this is not the area I want to pursue

Like I said, with your GPA retake the lsat and get 5+ points higher and you can explore all fields at a quality law school that will get you to where you wanna go

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:47 pm

You should seriously consider a retake. Improving by just 5 points puts the lower T14 (with $) within reach and you'd have a great shot at significant $ at MVPB and admission to CCN with a 7 point bump.

If you're really that adamant against retaking, Illinois for free is a very good option. Just realize you could have great options with a successful retake.

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:35 pm

bryceejohnson60542 wrote:I took the LSAT twice but canceled my score the first time and got a 163 the second time. I am pretty set on going to law school in the fall though so I do not see myself retaking the LSAT. I do not care which state I practice.

Why not sit out a cycle? I got a 164 --> did non-law stuff for a few years --> 176. Law school will always be there. Don't settle for a 163.

bryceejohnson60542

Postby bryceejohnson60542 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:46 pm

I appreciate all your feedback. For me, I am humbled to even be in the position I am today. When I first started considering law school I was looking to just get into Northern Illinois University let alone end up getting a full tuition scholarship to these schools. I studied hard and took many practice tests just to get that 163 and am not sure I could even improve on that by much. I am at the point in my life where I am ready to go to law school and start working towards my JD. Even though it may limit my options some not going to a T14 law school, it is not all about the money for me and I am ready to get my law degree and making a difference.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Dirigo wrote:
bryceejohnson60542 wrote:I am interested in Sports and Entertainment Law but am not committed to this and do not want to hurt my chances of landing a top job if I decide this is not the area of law I want to pursue.

Sorry, but this is a unicorn job and isn't going to happen for you.
If by "top job" you mean biglaw, then none of these schools is likely to get you that outcome.

Barring a retake & not a strong preference on where you want to practice, Illinois is the way to go here. It's biglaw placement is twice that of the other four schools.

Sports and entertainment law basically doesn't exist. "Top" law jobs don't exist really. They are all jobs that suck and pay well or are cool and pay like shit.
Why do you want to go to law school? YOu have a good gpa - just get a job. Network some and reach out to people who do things you would be interested in.
What's your major? What type of salary/lifestyle are you looking for?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:00 pm

bryceejohnson60542 wrote:I appreciate all your feedback. For me, I am humbled to even be in the position I am today. When I first started considering law school I was looking to just get into Northern Illinois University let alone end up getting a full tuition scholarship to these schools. I studied hard and took many practice tests just to get that 163 and am not sure I could even improve on that by much. I am at the point in my life where I am ready to go to law school and start working towards my JD. Even though it may limit my options some not going to a T14 law school, it is not all about the money for me and I am ready to get my law degree and making a difference.

Whatever sports law is, you won't make a difference by doing it. And you won't get to do it, it's next to impossible for grads from these schools

Just go to the school which is located in the state that you're from, and be ok with doing something like work at a small firm/local government, things like that. If you're lucky enough to get one of those jobs it'll pay like 40K starting out and it won't be anything glamorous. If that's not ok with you, either retake the LSAT and aim much higher or don't go to law school at all.

bryceejohnson60542

Postby bryceejohnson60542 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:03 pm

Ok once again by no means am I committed to sports and entertainment law. Also a 163 is not a bad LSAT score at all. yeah its not top14 law school worthy but not bad and you can still become a good lawyer with that. these are not bad law schools. I didn't get a 148.

jw316

Postby jw316 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:05 pm

bryceejohnson60542 wrote:Ok once again by no means am I committed to sports and entertainment law. Also a 163 is not a bad LSAT score at all. yeah its not top14 law school worthy but not bad and you can still become a good lawyer with that. these are not bad law schools. I didn't get a 148.

Hate being this person since this isn't a school you listed but did you apply to UMich? I agree with what everyone is saying and sports & entertainment is incredibly niche. But based on what you've said so far UMich + doing something with the athletic department/football team would probably be a better idea, since if you do well in school it wouldn't be unheard of and the football stuff couldn't hurt with interviewing etc.—but I'm a 0L so take that with a grain of salt.

Edit: also agree with Rigo. If you don't want to retake just figure out which state you think you want to end up in and look at what the placement is for those schools there and do the same thing with trying to be as near the top of your class as you can and doing the athletic department stuff
Last edited by jw316 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm

I mean, yeah. Obviously OP should retake just because the world is his oyster with that GPA, but it is not ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY that he does. So long as OP recognizes the risks involved and the likelihood of modest outcomes, going to a Tier 1 state flagship for free is not a bad call.

OP has noted that retaking is a good suggestion, but continuing to beat a dead horse doesn't seem as necessary as it is in other threads where the poster has a 157 and is intent on going to law school no matter what and paying sticker. This OP isn't going to go six figures into debt attending a TTT.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:14 pm

bryceejohnson60542 wrote:Ok once again by no means am I committed to sports and entertainment law. Also a 163 is not a bad LSAT score at all. yeah its not top14 law school worthy but not bad and you can still become a good lawyer with that. these are not bad law schools. I didn't get a 148.

Compared to your GPA, a 163 is a bad score. You have a GPA that allows you to go to ANY law school in the country. You should not waste that opportunity and settle for going to one of these schools. The legal profession is very prestige focused and you will effectively disclose any chance at working in "sports and entertainment law" by attending any of these schools. The school you pick will have an incredible impact on your career and the rest of your life. Only a few big firms have robust sports law practices and they simply do not hire from the schools you want listed.

Retaking sucks but it is very worth it. I took two years off after UG to retake the LSAT and it is probably the best decision I have ever made.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Someone with a 148 could also be a good lawyer too. I'm not sure I get your point here.

If you're ok with what these schools offer you then go for it. But you're almost certainly not going to be an agent or work for a sports team or league or anything like that. Making 6 figures ten years from now would be a pretty solid coup. If that's good with you then by all means, have at it.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:24 pm

If you must be a lawyer, Illinois debt free would be my choice. But you don't need to be a lawyer man. You seem frustrated already dealing with these soon to be lawyers for 15 mins. Imagine dealing with these guys for a lifetime? It's terrible and frustrating, but that doesn't have to be you. Just don't be a lawyer. You have a good gpa.Make some money.

What's your major in?

bryceejohnson60542

Postby bryceejohnson60542 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:29 pm

It was in middle level education. My GPA has allowed me to get these scholarships that I am very fortunate for and I understand that I would have many more options later in life if I did get a 170 LSAT type score and went to a top notch school but I believe 163 is close to my max. My first practice LSAT I took I got a 153 on and I took countless number of LSAT Practice tests and studied for hours on hours to increase it to a 163. My PR was a 164 going into the LSAT so I was happy with this score.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”