Hastings vs. McGeorge Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cheskama

New

Hastings vs. McGeorge

Post by cheskama » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Hastings with little to no scholarship or McGeorge with a full tuition scholarship + 1L books?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: Hastings vs. McGeorge

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:36 pm

What are your stats?
Do not go to Hastings with these circumstances
McGeorge is not a great law school, so to get a job you will need to really do extremely well
Can you retake the LSAT?

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:39 pm

1l books!!??? I'm in.... Retake.

cheskama

New

Post by cheskama » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:What are your stats?
Do not go to Hastings with these circumstances
McGeorge is not a great law school, so to get a job you will need to really do extremely well
Can you retake the LSAT?

I'm pretty set on not retaking. 3.4, 162.
Also, I'm in ROTC, so I will be competing for JAG, and not a conventional job, if that makes a difference.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:03 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:04 pm

HasTTTings really isn't offering applicants at GPA median and above 75% LSAT a hefty scholarship?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:06 pm

JAG is not an easy job to get
I would retake
It would be interesting to know if there are any mcgeorge alums who are JAGs
Please if you are going to attend this year do not attend Hastings at this cost
The idea of that makes me really sad

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:14 pm

cheskama wrote:I will be competing for JAG
most graduates from both those schools don't get legal jobs at all:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/pacific/2013/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/hastings/2013/

i have friends at stanford who couldn't pull JAG. that especially doesn't bode well for hastings et al.

definitely, definitely do not go to either of those schools without plenty of scholarship money. unless you're rich.

better yet, retake and don't go to either of those schools, period.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:23 pm

Despite paying less than jobs you can get with a bachelors, JAG is a very competitive program to get. Do they even recruit from these schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Retake for UCLA/USC or money at a Hastings level school. Do not attend McGeorge trying to get into a competitive program like JAG. I know Columbia students who were rejected.

Seriously, retake. It's a freaking test.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Under no circumstances should you attend Hastings with little to no scholarship.
At least you won't be drowning in debt with a McGeorge degree, likelihood of unemployment aside. Make sure McGeorge gets rid of their scholarship retention stipulations at the very least. They may section stack, and it would majorly suck if you lost your scholarship for 2L+3L.

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:54 pm

From the 5 minutes I considered gunning for JAG before I realized my medical shit would disqualify me from every branch of service, I remember that getting JAG is incredibly difficult. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot even more than if you were gunning for biglaw. Retake.

cheskama

New

Post by cheskama » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Also, if anyone is curious, I just spoke to a Major who is on the JAG branching board and was told that since I'm an Education Delay and already have an obligation to the Army, that although I will still be competing with everyone else, I have a slight advantage. Apparently 50% of Ed-Delays got a JAG commission last cycle (which is significantly lower than previous years).
Last edited by cheskama on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:56 pm

To be fair, JAG is very difficult to get, but I don't think most of the time the armed forces care about the school you go to. However, because it's such a competitive job, you want to make sure that your school gives you other options if JAG doesn't work out.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:03 pm

cheskama wrote:I'm pretty set on not retaking. 3.4, 162.
your funeral kid

gl

cheskama

New

Post by cheskama » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:05 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:To be fair, JAG is very difficult to get, but I don't think most of the time the armed forces care about the school you go to. However, because it's such a competitive job, you want to make sure that your school gives you other options if JAG doesn't work out.
Since I'm Ed-Delay and already have a service obligation, if I don't get JAG, then I will be assigned to a branch based on "the needs of the Army"

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:09 pm

cheskama wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:To be fair, JAG is very difficult to get, but I don't think most of the time the armed forces care about the school you go to. However, because it's such a competitive job, you want to make sure that your school gives you other options if JAG doesn't work out.
Since I'm Ed-Delay and already have a service obligation, if I don't get JAG, then I will be assigned to a branch based on "the needs of the Army"
With a JD from McGeorge, so long as the army needs barristers baristas, you'll be in luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:38 pm

do not go to law school.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:41 pm

I'd roll mcgeorge. But if you are feeling risky Hastings or another school at full debt wouldn't be full debt in your scenario because you are rolling jag or active duty - both of which count as govt service.
Also lol at everyone here telling this dude to enlist in the army due to his rotc ommitment instead of go to law school. You guys are fucking terrible. I'm sure he can just study while deployed in North Korea.
jag cares absolutely zip about Stanford vs mcgeorge. They care about ties to the armed forces. Op - how much will some debt over your head stress you out? Anyway you slice it it will be forgiven in ten years if the above options are true. That should factor into your calculus if the debt won't stress you out.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:05 am

Johann, you give the worst fucking advice.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:13 am

You idiots just told a guy to sign up for the army instead of take a risk free chance at something infinitely better. If you think that's bad advice, you're gonna be a terrible lawyer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:22 am

JohannDeMann wrote:You idiots just told a guy to sign up for the army instead of take a risk free chance at something infinitely better. If you think that's bad advice, you're gonna be a terrible lawyer.
:?: The OP's already in ROTC. No one told them to sign up for the army.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:25 am

Usually if you are in rotc you have to serve after college if you don't go to more school I thought. My friend had to serve 2 years in Afghanistan after rotc. A separate friend i met in law school went straight to law school and did not have to serve I assumed because of continuing education and is now a jag. Op also referenced some active duty commitment he had.

Edit - op what are your options if you don't go to law school this year? Again though a free ride to law school trying to be a jag is not a bad deal. Jag does not give any fucks about your law school.

cheskama

New

Post by cheskama » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:43 am

JohannDeMann wrote:Usually if you are in rotc you have to serve after college if you don't go to more school I thought. My friend had to serve 2 years in Afghanistan after rotc. A separate friend i met in law school went straight to law school and did not have to serve I assumed because of continuing education and is now a jag. Op also referenced some active duty commitment he had.

Edit - op what are your options if you don't go to law school this year? Again though a free ride to law school trying to be a jag is not a bad deal. Jag does not give any fucks about your law school.
Yes, you are correct, I have an active duty obligation. There are no other options, I have to go to law school this year, which is why retaking the LSAT is out of the question, unless I take the feb one, which would be pointless because I can't devote the time to study enough for it to boost my score in that time frame.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:53 am

JohannDeMann wrote:You idiots just told a guy to sign up for the army instead of take a risk free chance at something infinitely better. If you think that's bad advice, you're gonna be a terrible lawyer.
How is it risk free? You just stated what the risk was. I agree having a full scholarship with no stipulations somewhat mitigates the risk, but it's disingenuous to presuppose something is risk free, and then use the "fact" it is risk free to justify something being a good decision.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”