Which law school should I pick?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hutz_and_Goodman

Re: Which law school should I pick?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:42 pm

Please don't attend any of these schools at this cost
You are extremely young and should delay law school
You will do better with a couple years work experience
You need to retake the LSAT
I have a feeling you are going to make the right decision and wait/retake

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:02 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Please don't attend any of these schools at this cost
You are extremely young and should delay law school
You will do better with a couple years work experience
You need to retake the LSAT
I have a feeling you are going to make the right decision and wait/retake

Optimistic, I like it.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:03 pm

I agree with the posters who say you need to take a year off.

Look, you seem like the kind of aimless soon-to-be college grad who is doing law school because you think it will lead to (a) something you saw on TV, or (b) a good payin' suit wearin' corporate job. That's not an insult- we see this type of person all the time on TLS and they are the most at risk to wind up with a huge debt problem in three years.

You at the least need to explain more what you think "corporate/business law" is, what kind of salary you expect, what you would do if you can't get into that kind of work (hiring at those firms is highly dependent on your law school rank and grades). Unless you'd be happy making 45K-60K, which you shouldn't be because you can't make normal payments on 150-210K of debt on that salary, do not go to law school right now.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:36 pm

CaptTuttle wrote:I really am not [in a position to retake] because...I have no desire to put off entering law school

this is at least the second time someone has unironically posted this exact phrase as a reason for not retaking. at least it's the second time i've quoted it.

OP, as i'm sure you can see, this is an absolutely ludicrous reason under almost any circumstance. i don't particularly enjoy brushing my teeth, etc. etc. retake.

if there's one thing to add, it's this: your list of schools is extremely scattershot. all of them - and virtually any school not in the t14 - place regionally. this means the majority, if not all, of their graduates end up working in the state/surrounding area. furthermore, the firms that hire them generally care a lot about their having "ties" (personal connections) to the area, to reduce flight risk. this makes it very difficult to drop into, say, unlv on a whim and get a job.

does that make sense? do you have any other questions?

FlamingDragon

Postby FlamingDragon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:05 am

Without a full ride I would not go to any of these schools even with ties - it's just a bad idea. There is a need for well trained lawyers but no need for more "lawyers" from these schools. You will be fighting an uphill battle for three years and paying an absurd amount of money for terrible job prospects. If you just raise your score a few points, literally just answer 3 or 4 more questions correct, your life prospects would massively transform (assuming you went to a somewhat reputable college).

Most importantly, you seem to have little or no actual insight into why you want to practice law and what type, as well as where. the markets these schools you mention serve are very small money centers and have an extremely finite number of medium and large firm positions available, more than half of which will be taken by T14 grads coming back to their home market.

Please don't let these random schools scam you and add to a national debt problem.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:08 am

I have a 3.4 Undergrad GPA and a 159 LSAT.

Do not attend law school. (<160 is awful.)

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:29 pm

OP: The other posters have given good advice. Law school really can wait. Study hard for the LSAT (don't be satisfied until you can get your PT average to be at least 15, if not 20, points higher than where you started on your first diagnostic), retake, work a year or two, and then apply.

UnderTheLaw

Postby UnderTheLaw » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:36 pm

CaptTuttle wrote:[quote="phillywc"
I am not in a position to retake the LSAT.

Neither was that kid Louie after taking the June 2014 exam, but he realized that everyone on this website really had his best interest in mind, so he took it again.

Guess what? After he took it again he took it for a third time. You seem somewhat interested in Miami. Coupled with a 32k deans scholarship and a GI Bill, Louie could attend Miami for free. Why should you be in a worse situation than him with a higher GPA and a 1 point lower LSAT score? Even with Miami being free he's still considering other options. Had it not been for a website like this- Louie would have gone to Miami with a shitty LSAT score and had been in a mountain of debt. The people on this website may have literally saved his financial future. They are pretty much trying to do the same for you.

Shame on you if you decide not to retake. I don't know how old you are, but law schools aren't going anywhere. I think you need to wait a cycle. That pressure of thinking you need to keep moving forward with your life is misguiding you. Be smart about this. Take a prep course or do 7sage. Best of luck!

-UnderTheLaw

Postby 03152016 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:38 pm

good god you're a train wreck lou

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:50 pm

Louie:

A) You're not fooling anyone.
B) Just come back. You're insane but you seem like an okay dude.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:05 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Louie:
A) You're not fooling anyone.
B) Just come back. You're insane but you seem like an okay dude.

Brut wrote:good god you're a train wreck lou

No mention of Minnesota though.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:40 pm

retake

MagicMike80

Postby MagicMike80 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Taking time off is its own reward, regardless of LSAT improvement. The closer you are to death, the more desperate your study habits will get. Reap the rewards of mortality.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”