Any other law schools I should consider?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iamgeorgebush

Re: Any other law schools I should consider?

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Because with your current numbers, it's unlikely that you'll get an acceptance with enough scholarship money to make attending worthwhile. Why waste the application fees and time spent applying? It takes a long time to craft a good personal statement, and that time would be better spent studying for the LSAT. And, like others have said, there's a risk that you'll actually accept the offer, which would not be a good idea.

Just wait till next cycle. Having work experience for a year will do some good for you. Even if you had the numbers to apply right now, I'd still recommend waiting a year or two.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:29 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
rribley wrote:What are the cons of applying now anyway just see what happens? If I reapply in one or two cycles with a better LSAT will I be at a terrible disadvantage?

The reason I ask is I think I at least have a shot at William and Mary. My score is within range and I'm in state. Even if I don't get any money I'll still get in-state which is $21k, putting me at less than 100k in debt. Seems doable am I wrong. Same for Mason. UNC at sticker would be around 120k. Plus my cousins live in Raleigh so it's attractive to me. Less doable but not impossible ya?

Still seriously considering reapplying for a better score and t14 or $ at t20-t30. You guys definitely got through; I'm taking it seriously. But what's the harm in just trying now? I can always make a more coherent decision when I get my letters.

The problem is you might do something stupid, like enrolling in one of those schools.

This is precisely the reason. A lot of times 0Ls say this same thing; then they get the acceptance with the school's letterhead, the nice pamphlet with inflated and inaccurate stats, they convince themselves this school is great and I must go right now. Then three years later, they are $100k+ in debt, living at home and begging for the $35k/year job with the divorce lawyer. It could work out for you, but the odds are highly stacked against it working out at sticker price.

It doesn't seem like you are really calculating exactly how much debt you will incur. W&M may be 21k/year (not sure, just taking your word) but that is just tuition. You still have to take out loans for COL, books, expenses and that does not factor in tuition increases or interest.

I would also really encourage you to look at NC & VA's legal markets, which are possibly two of the most saturated legal markets I can think of. Big law is generally the only one that regularly hires new grads at on campus interviews at those schools, and they will only take the top 5% or so from the schools you can get into (there also isn't much of a big law market in NC or VA). For small law, gov't or PI, it is a lot of random luck that is way too hard to predict. I think you should absolutely retake but good luck either way.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm a 1L at one of the schools you mentioned on a near full-tuition scholarship. Had basically the same GPA and a 163 - cancelled one LSAT before I took it, studied more and increased my PT's, then took later and got the 163 (but never actually retook).

I'm currently waiting for grades, and I have to say that I kick myself all the time for being lazy and not retaking. A few more correct answers could have gotten me a T-14 (or Vandy/UT/etc.) with significant $. Now if I get my grades back and they're not good (say, bottom half), cutting my losses is probably my best option. That's not a fun position to be in. If I were at Duke or UVA with $ instead, I wouldn't necessarily be in that position.

I don't think the decision I made was the worst. If my grades suck, at least I'm not financially ruined. However, I wouldn't make that decision again, and your current LSAT probably won't give you the option to go to a "T1" school for almost free. You'll probably get a little $ at some of those schools, which is still a ton of debt.

Don't be me a year from now contemplating dropping out and wondering what could have been if you hadn't been lazy. Retake for your own future's sake. Your classmates will be smart; you won't be a "big fish" at any "T1" school. At the very least, increase your score by enough (maybe 3-5 points) to go to one of these schools for nearly free so that you're not screwed if things don't go well.

Good luck!

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:22 am

just FYI legacy means nothing

rribley

Postby rribley » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Got in to GW. I can't believe it. Waiting on a financial miracle LOL

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:07 pm

OP's got it all figured out, clearly you guys are just haters.

:roll:

MagicMike80

Postby MagicMike80 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Clearly wrote:alright, not to get too preachy, but its story time.

I was in your position at some point, except with a much worse GPA but a slightly better lsat score. I wanted to go so bad, my family and friends were all wanting me to go. I had T1 options but nothing great. I argued and argued with TLS about how I could make it work. Eventually you gotta realize that if you're so sure you are smart enough for law school, you should be smart enough for the LSAT and smart enough to not sign away your life for terrible job outcomes. TLS got through to me eventually and made me realize what I was signing up for. I told everyone I was going to sit out. They were so upset, I had a 90th percentile score, how much better did I want!? I buckled down, sat out, studied till I was where I needed to be, and did well enough to get into T14s late in the cycle. I passed on the options I had, and sat another cycle and applied earlier. Got into an even better school. This same advice you're getting took me from T50 to T7, and got me 2 more years of work experience in the process, and that was with a 3.0 GPA.

Trust these people. Re-approach the LSAT, nothing on it is that hard that you should give up and take on these current options, especially with your GPA. Sit this cycle out, take some time off, study for the June LSAT, and apply in Sept. Its not even that big of a delay. People with good LSAT scores and your GPA get to go to UVA for free, especially in state...

All this plus:

1) Never make a move to go to a particular school because you feel cornered.
2) Every scholly dollar or spot in the rankings you can grab with each LSAT point will ease your mind.
3) The LSAT is the most determinative factor in whether you will get that pie-in-the-sky job or not (in that it defines what school you get into and ultimately what employers will think of you). Take it as many times as you need to be happy with yourself.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:41 pm

Holy crap OP, you completely lost me when you actually said you could go to Mexico. See if you can get your contract teaching English extended for after college. Study for the LSAT.

Let me clue you in about law school and legal practice. That feeling of always having something hanging over your head never goes away. When you start at law school it will be 1L exams, then it will be OCI. If you are one of the 15% that get an offer at OCI it will be your summer program and whether you get an offer, if not, it will be exams and looking for a summer job and then a full time job. I did that last bit for two fucking years- it was utterly draining (some posters here can attest to that). Then there's the bar. Then there's waiting for bar results to see if you can go ahead and apply for admission. And you haven't even gotten to practice law yet.

And I'm also not too clear on your goals. You seem to actually want biglaw but then say you'll be happy with 50-60K. Have you looked at how you are going to pay back GW sticker (that's 300K) on a 50-60K job?
Last edited by timbs4339 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:46 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Holy crap OP, you completely lost me when you actually said you could go to Mexico. See if you can get your contract teaching English extended for after college. Study for the LSAT.

Let me clue you in about law school and legal practice. That feeling of always having something hanging over your head never goes away. When you start at law school it will be 1L exams, then it will be OCI. If you are one of the 15% that get an offer at OCI it will be your summer program and whether you get an offer, if not, it will be exams and looking for a summer job and then a full time job. I did that last bit for two fucking years- it was utterly draining (some posters here can attest to that). Then there's the bar. Then there's waiting for the bar. And you haven't even gotten to practice law yet.

And I'm also not too clear on your goals. You seem to actually want biglaw but then say you'll be happy with 50-60K. Have you looked at how you are going to pay back GW sticker (that's 300K) on a 50-60K job?

I'm only a 2.5L but so, so much this

Law school is cool in that you have tons of free time to do whatevs but the stuff constantly hanging over your head and perpetually waiting and hoping you didn't screw something up despite doing your best really, really sucks

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:56 am

If you're from Virginia and not going to retake (which you should), George Mason >>> GW. The in-state tuition is only a little over 20k a yr, and the job prospects aren't significantly worse than GW. If you're vain enough that the difference between a ranking of 36 and 20 matters enough to justify >100k more in debt then why not just retake?

NonTradLawHopeful

Postby NonTradLawHopeful » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:41 am

Remember that you are only 23. You're burnt out from the LSAT? Fine, then go to Mexico, get a great experience, and don't even think about law school for the next 5 months. Come back, find a job, and study for the June 2016 LSAT in order to apply for the class of 2020. Law school isn't going anywhere.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”