Harvard vs t-14 full ride

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GordonFreeman

Harvard vs t-14 full ride

Postby GordonFreeman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:24 am

I am interested in becoming a politician. I realize that graduating debt free from a t-14 is a wonderful way to start your career. However, Harvard Law and American politics are deeply intertwined. It seems like HLS sets you up for a career in politics better than any other law school (tbf, there could be confounding factors at work here).

Given my aspirations, isn't Harvard the right choice, even if I received a Ruby or Hamilton(not bloody likely)?

I'd love to get some feedback on this.

Nebby

Re: Harvard vs t-14 full ride

Postby Nebby » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:42 am

GordonFreeman wrote:I am interested in becoming a politician. I realize that graduating debt free from a t-14 is a wonderful way to start your career. However, Harvard Law and American politics are deeply intertwined. It seems like HLS sets you up for a career in politics better than any other law school (tbf, there could be confounding factors at work here).

Given my aspirations, isn't Harvard the right choice, even if I received a Ruby or Hamilton(not bloody likely)?

I'd love to get some feedback on this.

GTFO you crumpet-eating, crooked toothed Brit! We don't need ur kind in are country.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:44 am

CounselorNebby wrote:GTFO you crumpet-eating, crooked toothed Brit! We don't need ur kind in are country.

Dude, come on.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:45 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:47 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:GTFO you crumpet-eating, crooked toothed Brit! We don't need ur kind in are country.

Dude, come on.

This cannot be a real poster Nony... Wait a second...

1) Conflated Ego
2) Lack of social awareness
3) Seriously asks the most ridiculous questions
4) Is American but uses British slang to sound cool for his prep-school bros

You'd fit right in at HLS, Mr. Freeman!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:56 am

Your aversion to "bloody" seems overblown.

And I don't know whether this poster is flame or not, but since the question "Harvard v. T14 full ride" has come up a gazillion times, I'm not sure why this post specifically makes you think so. (I mean, yes, the "I want to do politics" is a sort of bad sign, but has also come up on this site a gazillion times, perfectly earnestly.)

Atmosphere

Postby Atmosphere » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03 am

I think I'm a jackass and can't find any pf the threads, would one of you guys mind linking some?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:10 am

I was thinking particularly of this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=228383&hilit=take+the+money (though I believe it devolves into some weird Harvard white-knighting/bickering partway through). Also, if you forum search topic titles only for "Harvard" "full ride", you will get a bunch of specific threads comparing Harvard with a full-ride option.

As for the politics thing, there have definitely been posts by people who want to go into politics, but admittedly they're harder to pull out via search. The usual response is: don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer, so don't go to law school to become a politician - actually work in politics instead.

Atmosphere

Postby Atmosphere » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:16 am

Thanks nony

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:17 am

dont really understand why being british is a bad thing ITT

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:18 am

ilikebaseball wrote:dont really understand why being british is a bad thing ITT

Citizenship requirement.

koval

Postby koval » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:20 am

I'm assuming you're straight through because your post infers (no offense) a pretty high level of ignorance. I'm also assuming you're not thinking that Harvard = better shot at becoming president. Before Obama was elected president, the last president to come out of Harvard law was Rutherford B. Hayes (all other Harvard presidents went there for undergrad, and you will have zero connections with Harvard College via the law school unless you went to Harvard for undergrad).

The reason Harvard is good for politics is because it's full of really talented people and it's a huge school (large future-donor base). That being said, you can just as easily find a huge future-donor base, or talented people, at Columbia or Georgetown (actually Georgetown will likely have the largest group of people going into politics).

Harvard is a great school, but going there for sticker means you will be working in big law for a couple years before you can even think about politics. If your question was Harvard for an additional 75k v. a school like Duke (or even Columbia) I think you could be justified in choosing Harvard. Other than that, for what you want to do, choosing Harvard (at sticker) over Columbia (and possibly even Georgetown) on a full ride is a bad choice.

Most politicians don't go to Harvard, or even law school for that matter. Don't take on that kind of debt based on some hazy idea that Harvard = politics. Be objective about how you will get from point A (law school) to point B (politics) before you make any kind of decision that will directly impact your ability to achieve your goals.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:49 am

ilikebaseball wrote:dont really understand why being british is a bad thing ITT

It's not.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:54 pm

t14 full ride unless your parents are aristos paying full freight or harvard clears nearly all your tuition via need based aid. not much debate to be had.

GordonFreeman

Postby GordonFreeman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:21 pm

koval wrote:I'm assuming you're straight through because your post infers (no offense) a pretty high level of ignorance. I'm also assuming you're not thinking that Harvard = better shot at becoming president. Before Obama was elected president, the last president to come out of Harvard law was Rutherford B. Hayes (all other Harvard presidents went there for undergrad, and you will have zero connections with Harvard College via the law school unless you went to Harvard for undergrad).

The reason Harvard is good for politics is because it's full of really talented people and it's a huge school (large future-donor base). That being said, you can just as easily find a huge future-donor base, or talented people, at Columbia or Georgetown (actually Georgetown will likely have the largest group of people going into politics).

Harvard is a great school, but going there for sticker means you will be working in big law for a couple years before you can even think about politics. If your question was Harvard for an additional 75k v. a school like Duke (or even Columbia) I think you could be justified in choosing Harvard. Other than that, for what you want to do, choosing Harvard (at sticker) over Columbia (and possibly even Georgetown) on a full ride is a bad choice.

Most politicians don't go to Harvard, or even law school for that matter. Don't take on that kind of debt based on some hazy idea that Harvard = politics. Be objective about how you will get from point A (law school) to point B (politics) before you make any kind of decision that will directly impact your ability to achieve your goals.

Forget about presidents. Take a look at the U.S. congress. Harvard lawyers are over-represented. I know that HLS doesn't translate directly into politics. But it seems like the social cachet of a HLS degree combined with Harvard's powerful alumni network gives you a head start for a career in politics.

I know there is no direct line to becoming a legislator-- there's more than one way to skin a cat. But it sure seems like HLS gives you an advantage.

ETA: love how much flak I got for going outside the standard American lexicon of colloquialisms.
Last edited by GordonFreeman on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:22 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

GordonFreeman

Postby GordonFreeman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:24 pm

Wahreit, you EDed. you're even dumber/less socially aware than me.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:25 pm

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:30 pm

This is probably a premature thread. It's not worth considering imaginary HLS vs. imaginary scholarship before you have all your offers on the table, IMO.

I think low debt is probably the right way to go on this one though.

GordonFreeman

Postby GordonFreeman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:44 pm

People on TLS are so anti-HLS. Why? It's a fucking great school. Everybody jumps on Yale's jockstrap, but roundly criticize people who choose HLS when in reality they are very comparable institutions. If debt aversion is such a priority, then YLS is no more justifiable than HLS.

Here are the facts: HLS and YLS put you in a better position to pursue unicorn jerbs. You have to honestly evaluate yourself and say whether these careers are realistic for you given your skill set. Whether it's fair or not, HLS connotes instant credibility with the average American who doesn't have the background to properly evaluate legal education (there's probably no difference in the education you receive at any top 10 school I imagine).

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:48 pm

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:50 pm

GordonFreeman wrote:People on TLS are so anti-HLS. Why? It's a fucking great school. Everybody jumps on Yale's jockstrap, but roundly criticize people who choose HLS when in reality they are very comparable institutions. If debt aversion is such a priority, then YLS is no more justifiable than HLS.

Here are the facts: HLS and YLS put you in a better position to pursue unicorn jerbs. You have to honestly evaluate yourself and say whether these careers are realistic for you given your skill set. Whether it's fair or not, HLS connotes instant credibility with the average American who doesn't have the background to properly evaluate legal education (there's probably no difference in the education you receive at any top 10 school I imagine).

If all you care about is layman prestige, go to Harvard.

Also, no SLS love?

GordonFreeman

Postby GordonFreeman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:52 pm

lc39 wrote:
GordonFreeman wrote:People on TLS are so anti-HLS. Why? It's a fucking great school. Everybody jumps on Yale's jockstrap, but roundly criticize people who choose HLS when in reality they are very comparable institutions. If debt aversion is such a priority, then YLS is no more justifiable than HLS.

If all you care about is layman prestige, go to Harvard.

Also, no SLS love?

SLS is solid. Don't think it's as conducive to my career aspirations.

Laymen are voters. So lay prestige matters.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:53 pm

GordonFreeman

Postby GordonFreeman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Wahrheit wrote:Do laymen vote based on where you went to LS compared to the fact that you went to LS at all in a significant capacity?

Are you running for President?

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... f-congress

lol at me citing usnews

Return to “Choosing a Law School”