University of Washington vs. Northwestern

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bholster

University of Washington vs. Northwestern

Postby bholster » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:36 am

Trying to make decisions:

UW Pros:
-Location close to family, which is very important to me
-Probably going to settle/practice in the Pacific Northwest
-Cheaper (planning on practicing public interest law [juvenile], so this could be big)

Northwestern Pros:
-T14
-I've been working for a couple years since graduating from college, and Northwestern's class is primarily made up of people with work experience. I really don't wanna mess around with a bunch of fresh-faced 22 year olds.
-Juvenile Justice clinic won a MacArthur Award for Creative and Innovative Institutions

What would YOU (yes, YOU) do?

runinthefront

Re: University of Washington vs. Northwestern

Postby runinthefront » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:38 am

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

bholster

Postby bholster » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:51 am

-These are my top two schools, but I have also been accepted to quite a few others (Georgetown, George Washington, Washington University in St. Louis, Notre Dame, William and Mary, Colorado...I think that's it)
-In terms of COA, let me just simplify by saying that Northwestern will end up being between 15,000 and 20,000 dollars more expensive per year, thought I am still waiting to hear on scholarship offers for both. However, one can assume that there will be more money coming from UW.
-From Rocky Mountain west, went to undergrad at Harvard (love Boston), currently working in education in Phoenix, AZ
-Will be paying for school through combination of loans and family assistance.
-Eventual plan is to become a juvenile court judge
-How much do LSAT and GPA matter if I've already been accepted?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:08 am

Do you have any ties to the PNW? from everything everyone here has said about the region, it's a very small legal market and extremely insular. (I should add that I don't think of Rocky Mountain west and PNW as synonymous, but if that's what you mean, then ignore the rest of this post.)

SoapyIllusion

Postby SoapyIllusion » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:18 pm

bholster wrote:-
-How much do LSAT and GPA matter if I've already been accepted?

They matter in the case that you have, say, a 3.8 GPA and a 164 LSAT. If that is the case, they would tell you to retake your LSAT and pursue admission and $$$ at a better school that aligns with your goals. I'm assuming, though, that you would not want to retake and dead-set on a choice between the two aforementioned universities. I personally would choose Northwestern, but I really enjoyed seattle and the UW campus from when I visited.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:32 pm

bholster wrote:What would YOU (yes, YOU) do?

Can't tell you without costs of attendance and LSAT/GPA, because I might go to either, depending on cost, or I might retake the LSAT.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:36 pm

runinthefront wrote:
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:48 pm

Main questions:
1 What is the $ difference?
2 what kind of job do you want?
3 are you from WA?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:56 pm

bholster wrote:-In terms of COA, let me just simplify by saying that Northwestern will end up being between 15,000 and 20,000 dollars more expensive per year, thought I am still waiting to hear on scholarship offers for both. However, one can assume that there will be more money coming from UW.

UW is not known for giving out much (if any) money.

postard

Postby postard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:04 pm

I was almost a double-dawg. Ended up going to a T14 instead, and I would say that if you want to go back for public interest its probably doable. I think w/o stellar grades it'd be very hard to get back into WA via BigLaw. If you have some inclination to working outside of WA, go to Northwestern and see how it turns out. At the end of the day, it has to just be your choice, b/c they'd probably both work out fine, assuming you have that in-state residency dough and your 'rents will let you sleep on their couch for 3ish years.

ETA: I was initially offered 5k/yr at UW, but if you stick with them you might get that amount increased in their second round of adjustments (my offer went to 20k/yr).

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meow Meowsworth

Postby Meow Meowsworth » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:15 am

I'm a current NU student, so I'll just put that out there. I've also taken one of the juvenile justice clinics (there are actually like four of them), and I know several of the faculty in those clinics. They are all excellent professors, and they definitely live up to their reputation.

I'm very happy at NU and glad that I made the decision to come to NU. That being said, your situation is a bit different than mine. I actually applied to UW, and after a lot of back and forth in negotiating scholarship money, they offered me $20k a year, which they told me was the most they offer to people who don't receive full tuition scholarships. I was out of state, so $20k a year isn't even half of the cost of tuition, and Seattle's cost of living is a little bit higher than Chicago's. That being said, I wasn't 100% committed to public interest at the time, so I did not apply for the Gates Scholars program. If you applied for that and you get it, I would say UW is a no brainer given your situation. If you didn't apply or you don't get it, it is a little more up in the air. How committed are you to being near family? Do you plan to live with family in Seattle, or will you have to find your own place? Are you getting in-state tuition at UW? If you're getting in-state tuition and you get a $20k a year scholarship, you're still looking at $35k+ a year cost of attendance, which is pretty high, but at least not presumptively unreasonable for UW. If you aren't getting in-state tuition, then even $20k a year in scholarships will cost you $45k+ a year in cost of attendance. That's pretty high for UW. Also, NU's LRAP is top notch, so the difference in debt may not mean as much to you if you're 100% dedicated to PI work.

Anyway, if you want any insight on NU, feel free to send me a PM. I was considering UW until the last possible moment, so I definitely have some insight on both schools, but you may know more about UW than I do already.

redtalun

Postby redtalun » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:48 am

NU places very well in the PNW and gives you a big edge over UW if you somehow decide to go into BL. You will need to put some more effort in networking, so make sure to come back over winter break and meet tons of legal professionals.

huskies2015

Postby huskies2015 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:24 pm

I am in the same situation as you (minus being out of undergrad, as I am currently a senior). Got into at least one T14, but want to live and practice in Seattle. If thats your end goal, UW has got to be the best option. I am at UW right now and assuming I get some scholarship, I am leaning towards choosing UW over higher ranked schools.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:19 pm

Just my $.02:

-UW is horribly stingy; like, to the point that it almost certainly hurts their admissions #s.

-Rocky Mountain W is not PNW. Think carefully about your goals.

-This is way premature without scholarship offers and subsequent negotiation.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”