If 170 Feb LSAT should I apply this year

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Take Feb LSAT Apply this Cycle or not

yes
22%
no
78%

Total votes: 9

MattM

If 170 Feb LSAT should I apply this year

Postby MattM » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:19 pm

Hello,

I am considering a Feb LSAT take for admissions in Fall 2015/2016....my PT averages are in the 168-172 range.

The upside I see in a Feb take is the score is valid for 5 years, so even though it is late in the ballgame with scores coming back in late Feb/early March many spots are taken up...the Feb LSAT score could be used for Fall 2016.

Have any Feb Takers (167+) applied in the same cycle for that fall and been tempted by a lesser offer? Thats my fear if I got a 170 i would be tempted to apply for Fall 2015 and if I got some $ i may go for it....but the downside there is I would never know what I would get for the Fall 2016 cycle.

tldr: any Feb takers been tempted by a weak offer and have any opinions

ilikebaseball

Re: If 170 Feb LSAT should I apply this year

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:25 pm

MattM wrote:Hello,

I am considering a Feb LSAT take for admissions in Fall 2015/2016....my PT averages are in the 168-172 range.

The upside I see in a Feb take is the score is valid for 5 years, so even though it is late in the ballgame with scores coming back in late Feb/early March many spots are taken up...the Feb LSAT score could be used for Fall 2016.

Have any Feb Takers (167+) applied in the same cycle for that fall and been tempted by a lesser offer? Thats my fear if I got a 170 i would be tempted to apply for Fall 2015 and if I got some $ i may go for it....but the downside there is I would never know what I would get for the Fall 2016 cycle.

tldr: any Feb takers been tempted by a weak offer and have any opinions

If its for acceptances, its probably getting too late. If its for more $$$, although its late, its not TOO late.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:37 pm

I did it, applied on March 1, got a lot of wait lists and eventually copped an admit to lower t14, ended up sitting out and reapplying early the next cycle. The temptation is def real though if you get an admit even though you would do better earlier next year.

MattM

Postby MattM » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:10 pm

Clearly wrote:I did it, applied on March 1, got a lot of wait lists and eventually copped an admit to lower t14, ended up sitting out and reapplying early the next cycle. The temptation is def real though if you get an admit even though you would do better earlier next year.

Thats my thinking so I think I would be wise even if I took the Feb LSAT and did great ( 170+) not to apply at all just so there isn't that temptation and use that score for a later cycle

KMart

Postby KMart » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:16 am

MattM wrote:
Clearly wrote:I did it, applied on March 1, got a lot of wait lists and eventually copped an admit to lower t14, ended up sitting out and reapplying early the next cycle. The temptation is def real though if you get an admit even though you would do better earlier next year.

Thats my thinking so I think I would be wise even if I took the Feb LSAT and did great ( 170+) not to apply at all just so there isn't that temptation and use that score for a later cycle

It's just better to apply at the beginning than the absolute end, killer score or no score. Schools just don't have space and money in March. You might be able to get one school, like the post above, but if you hold out you can get a lot more schools.

February is a great time to take it because, if need be, you can retake in June and still get your score back before applications open in September.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”