Help discerning my options for law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
abmarnold89

Help discerning my options for law school

Postby abmarnold89 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:07 pm

I have a 3.64 (or 3.58 depending if law schools do not consider transfer credit for my undergraduate degree) with a 176 LSAT score. Is my lower GPA going to be a significant issue in applying to some of the higher end T14 schools?

Mullens

Re: Help discerning my options for law school

Postby Mullens » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:12 pm

Are you applying this cycle? If so, you should try to get your apps in asap.

As far as chances, you will probably track pretty closely to this barring any URM or exceptional softs:

abmarnold89

Postby abmarnold89 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:45 pm

Thank you, that was very helpful. I am looking for admission at the next cycle. I also wanted to know if JD/PhD programs were viable for career opportunities. I had a conversation with a friend who said that the problem with JD/PhD programs were that they "hybridized" you as a prospect making you unappealing as a prospect for a private law career and academia. Is this true?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:11 am

Do JD or PhD, not both. If you really want academia, do PhD. If you want to be a lawyer, do JD (from a well-regarded institution). If you really want to legal academia, do PhD followed by well-regarded JD and pray you can prove your worth.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:14 am

my mentor did a phd jd from t-14 school. he started in the phd and went the jd route when he realized he needed both to do what he wanted. hes now in legal academia after working a couple years in biglaw. basically, the jd/phd didnt hurt his biglaw application so i think you should be alright. and im sure it helped his academia resume.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:22 am

abmarnold89 wrote:Thank you, that was very helpful. I am looking for admission at the next cycle. I also wanted to know if JD/PhD programs were viable for career opportunities. I had a conversation with a friend who said that the problem with JD/PhD programs were that they "hybridized" you as a prospect making you unappealing as a prospect for a private law career and academia. Is this true?

What career are you envisioning having?

If you're thinking MORE DEGREES for MAXIMUM EMPLOYABILITY, then no

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Legal academic hiring is in the shitter right now and prospects aren't looking any better for the next few years (they are running out of marks). Get a few median 1L grades and you are out. Unless you want to be a lawyer for your career I'm not sure the JD is the right move, it seems like a lot of debt for a very low chance of getting a TT law prof job.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”