TX Resident: Any In State choice other than UT reasonable?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MattM

TX Resident: Any In State choice other than UT reasonable?

Postby MattM » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:28 am

Hello,

What in state options besides UT Austin do I realistically have to make law school worth it?

I don't really like Austin and not sure if I want to spend three years there for LS....but on the other hand I don't really see any other school in state worth attending in terms employment after graduation....So I feel somewhat trapped when deciding which Texas schools to apply to

whitespider

Re: TX Resident: Any In State choice other than UT reasonable?

Postby whitespider » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:34 am

Sure, but it would all depend on your situation, goals and finances. Most will tell you to retake, though.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:43 am

Not liking Austin (how the heck do you not like Austin?) is a very silly reason to not go to UT when any other choice in Texas really limits your opportunities and/or chance for success.

But tell us your stats, goals, etc.

Are you also opposed to leaving the state for a T14?

MattM

Postby MattM » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:00 am

3.55/154 ........( obvious retaker here, even if not for this cycle .....PT in very high 160's low 170's ......I know PT doesn't mean much but I'm in an obvious retake position given how much higher my practice tests have been )

Finances - even though my family will be paying for law school.....I don't see any reason to settle for less when it comes to post grad employment

Goals - possibly big law but want to keep as many doors open as possible so that's why I'm looking at T14/UT Austin/ Super regionals like Vandy UCLA

No I wouldn't be opposed to leaving TX for a T14 especially if it meant better job opportunities down the road

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:56 am

UH and SMU can be reasonable depending on goals/costs and maybe even some other schools too

Just focus on the LSAT for now, that's really all that matters at the moment

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:16 am

UT should be your main goal. Just because you dont like the city doesnt mean you shouldnt go...seems a little silly to me. UT will get you a job in any of the TX markets.

But, FWIW, SMU is not a bad choice. Just very pricy. Houston isn't bad for houston either. It would depend how much each school gives you, how much debt you're willing to take on, etc

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:21 am

ilikebaseball wrote:UT will get you a job in any of the TX markets.

This seems a little bit flippant and kind of dangerous IMO. It reads like "If you go to UT, you can get a job in any of the Texas markets" which is probably not true for most individuals.

UT is the best school in Texas, no doubt. But I don't think it's a magical gate opener in the way most people think it is

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:23 am

BigZuck wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:UT will get you a job in any of the TX markets.

This seems a little bit flippant and kind of dangerous IMO. It reads like "If you go to UT, you can get a job in any of the Texas markets" which is probably not true for most individuals.

UT is the best school in Texas, no doubt. But I don't think it's a magical gate opener in the way most people think it is

soon as i posted it i considered editing it to make it not as strong of a statement. I mean that in any of the Tx markets, (dallas, Houston, Austin, even SA) UT grads are gonna be the most sought after for TX firms. Obviously T14 schools come into play, but Texas will put you on a pedestal above the other schools in the state. SMU is mostly Dallas restricted, UH is mostly Houston, but UT can do both

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:UH and SMU can be reasonable depending on goals/costs

This.

And unless there's a significant difference in COA, there's no reason for you to attend Vandy/UCLA over UT if you plan to practice in Texas.

MattM

Postby MattM » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:57 pm

How about T14 outside of HYS vs UT Austin if practicing in Texas?

I'm probably looking at going to UT Austin if staying in Texas for Law school,,,,,sure Austin may not be the greatest but its only three years and I'll hate having no job prospects /weak employment after graduation much more than i will dislike Austin

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:00 pm

MattM wrote:Hello,

What in state options besides UT Austin do I realistically have to make law school worth it?

I don't really like Austin and not sure if I want to spend three years there for LS....but on the other hand I don't really see any other school in state worth attending in terms employment after graduation....So I feel somewhat trapped when deciding which Texas schools to apply to

Depends what you want to do and whether or not you have $ elsewhere. Personally, I would only consider UH and SMU if I had a full ride or near full ride. And I wouldn't go anywhere else in Texas aside from UT, UH, SMU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”