SMU v UH v LSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
courtpoll

SMU v UH v LSU

Postby courtpoll » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:16 am

Where to go? I've been accepted to all 3 with the information filled in below:

1. The schools you are considering = See above, and I was also accepted to Baylor (spring 2016, no scholly info yet) but not that interested, rejected from U Texas.
2. The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. SMU COA = $69,034 w/$15,000/yr scholly; UH COA = $49,984 w/$1000/yr scholly and non-res fee waived; LSU COA = $39,880 w/$8000/yr scholly
3. How you will be financing your COA = loans.
4. Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any) = From Louisiana but desire to live in Texas (Dallas or Houston, idm); family lives in Louisiana, but not really a tie.
5. Your general career goals = trial lawyer
6. Your LSAT/GPA numbers = 154/4.0
7. How many times you have taken the LSAT = Twice (Not taking again)

**In addition, how would I go about negotiating increases in scholarships?

Manteca

Re: SMU v UH v LSU

Postby Manteca » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:21 am

Why can't you retake?

courtpoll

Postby courtpoll » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:25 am

Don't want to. I actually got into the schools that I wanted, but now it's just to decide which to actually attend.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:18 am

courtpoll wrote:Don't want to. I actually got into the schools that I wanted, but now it's just to decide which to actually attend.

With a super high gpa, you could get serious cash from UT with a decent retake (which makes the most sense with your goals). Honestly, if you don't want to retake the LSAT, I don't think you want to be a lawyer.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:38 am

1) Not retaking is an objectively terrible decision and you should feel bad.
2) Coming from out of state, you need to decide Dallas or Houston and go the corresponding school.
3) You negotiate a higher scholarship by retaking the LSAT.
4) Please go into more detail about being a trial lawyer. What, exactly, do you think that consists of and that you will do?

courtpoll

Postby courtpoll » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:41 am

Winston1984 wrote:
courtpoll wrote:Don't want to. I actually got into the schools that I wanted, but now it's just to decide which to actually attend.

With a super high gpa, you could get serious cash from UT with a decent retake (which makes the most sense with your goals). Honestly, if you don't want to retake the LSAT, I don't think you want to be a lawyer.

Really?!?! So you're a mind reader? You have no clue what I want to do. Either give me your opinion on the schools I listed, or go somewhere else. If I would have wanted to know whether I should take the LSAT again, I would have asked for that input.

courtpoll

Postby courtpoll » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:48 am

kalvano wrote:1) Not retaking is an objectively terrible decision and you should feel bad.
2) Coming from out of state, you need to decide Dallas or Houston and go the corresponding school.
4) Please go into more detail about being a trial lawyer. What, exactly, do you think that consists of and that you will do?

1. Again, I am not retaking, and I don't feel bad - Let's move on.
2. I already have tours set up for SMU and Baylor, will schedule UH and LSU soon.
3. See #1 - I read somewhere that it may help to play one school's offer against another.
4. Mainly looking at being a prosecutor.

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:53 am

IMO (given that you are adamant about not retaking) UH or SMU, see whichever campus/city you like best vs $$ and choose accordingly. Personally, I would prefer SMU.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:56 am

All of these are too much debt, so don't go anywhere. I agree don't retake, cause someone dumb enough to 154 twice isn't going to do much better. Law school isn't for you.

courtpoll

Postby courtpoll » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:58 am

lawschool1741 wrote:IMO (given that you are adamant about not retaking) UH or SMU, see whichever campus/city you like best vs $$ and choose accordingly. Personally, I would prefer SMU.

Thanks for the response. So SMU or UH over LSU even if the overall COA is like $60,000 more? I'd assume that I'd make more in Dallas/Houston to compensate for the higher fees. Plus, I'd also assume that I'd have a greater chance at that higher paying career in Dallas/Houston.

courtpoll

Postby courtpoll » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:All of these are too much debt, so don't go anywhere. I agree don't retake, cause someone dumb enough to 154 twice isn't going to do much better. Law school isn't for you.

Haha!! That's funny and inspirational. FYI, I didn't score a 154 twice, stupid!! I took it twice. I didn't prepare well for the first one and made a horrible 144.

I can't be all that dumb if I got into a T50 school.

Now, if you don't have anything constructive to say, go away.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:04 pm

courtpoll wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:All of these are too much debt, so don't go anywhere. I agree don't retake, cause someone dumb enough to 154 twice isn't going to do much better. Law school isn't for you.

Haha!! That's funny and inspirational. FYI, I didn't score a 154 twice, stupid!! I took it twice. I didn't prepare well for the first one and made a horrible 144.

I can't be all that dumb if I got into a T50 school.

Now, if you don't have anything constructive to say, go away.

Ok, enjoy your debt and your joblessness.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:07 pm

courtpoll wrote:
kalvano wrote:1) Not retaking is an objectively terrible decision and you should feel bad.

2. I already have tours set up for SMU and Baylor, will schedule UH and LSU soon.
3. See #1 - I read somewhere that it may help to play one school's offer against another.

You have the total cost of attendance for SMU at $69,034. Where did you come up with that number? Tuition is about $45,000 per year, so even with a scholarship (which would be markedly better if you re-took the LSAT and scored a 164 or better) you're looking at $90,000 in tuition alone, not counting the cost of living.

SMU won't negotiate their scholarship offer with those numbers, and UofH is fairly stingy. You may be able to get more money from LSU, but that's a terrible idea to go there if you want to work in Texas.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:11 pm

It's hard to decipher your original post. How much debt will you be in at graduation from each school?

courtpoll

Postby courtpoll » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
courtpoll wrote:

You have the total cost of attendance for SMU at $69,034. Where did you come up with that number? Tuition is about $45,000 per year, so even with a scholarship (which would be markedly better if you re-took the LSAT and scored a 164 or better) you're looking at $90,000 in tuition alone, not counting the cost of living.

SMU won't negotiate their scholarship offer with those numbers, and UofH is fairly stingy. You may be able to get more money from LSU, but that's a terrible idea to go there if you want to work in Texas.

The COA figure is per year from the SMU site. As far as the Texas/Louisiana thing, I "leaning" Texas, but I want to make sure that it justifies the cost. If not, and it's too much of a risk, I can stay in Louisiana.

PhilippeStandingOnIt

Postby PhilippeStandingOnIt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:17 pm

For your described situation, I would go to SMU if I was set on Texas, or LSU if I was set on debt-control (but I would realize LSU is not likely to get me to Texas), but either way, you're a big dumb-dumb for not retaking. If you've been studying on your own, cough up (or beg, borrow, or steal) $1,500 and take a prep course. It did miracles for my score.

Breaking into even the low 160's should get you tens of thousands more dollars in scholarships (making the course pay for itself), or open up opportunities at better schools. I retook, and now I'm looking at fat schollies at both SMU and UH, and I have a shitty GPA. Don't piss away a 4.0.

That said, you seem set on not doing that.

Either Texas school will do fine. Pick the city you want, and go there. UH will have a lower cost of living. SMU will have a little more prestige in Texas. Whichever you go to, plan on being stuck in that city. Otherwise, it's six one way and a half dozen the other, as best I can tell.

For those questioning his COA numbers, those are one year totals, not three year totals. I was prepared to tear into this guy's math skills until I figured that out.
Last edited by PhilippeStandingOnIt on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

courtpoll

Postby courtpoll » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:It's hard to decipher your original post. How much debt will you be in at graduation from each school?

These are estimates after applying scholarships:
LSU - $95,642
UH - $143,952
SMU - $162,102

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:17 pm

courtpoll wrote:The COA figure is per year from the SMU site.

That's per year. You'll have at least $20K per year in living expenses, if not more. So you'll have around $150K of debt to be a prosecutor.

Re-take or don't go. You will in no way make enough money to cover the amount of debt you're looking at taking out. Prosecutors in Dallas start around $49K.
Last edited by kalvano on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turtledove

Postby Turtledove » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Are you sure about those COAs (it looks like that just includes tuition)? If you're living expenses are loan financed your COA will be about $50k higher due living expenses and accrued interest. At the COA you have quited Houston and SMU are borderline defensible if you're willing to accept the very real possibility that you will never find legal employment but neither are defensible at what is likely the true COA. All that being said, you would be in a MUCH better place if you could retake and get UT with money.

Turtledove

Postby Turtledove » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:20 pm

courtpoll wrote:
BigZuck wrote:It's hard to decipher your original post. How much debt will you be in at graduation from each school?

LSU - $95,642
UH - $143,952
SMU - $162,102

At this rate of debt you're much better off not going at all if you're not willing to retake.

courtpoll

Postby courtpoll » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:20 pm

PhilippeStandingOnIt wrote:For your described situation, I would go to SMU if I was set on Texas, or LSU if I was set on debt-control (but I would realize LSU is not likely to get me to Texas), but either way, you're a big dumb-dumb for not retaking. If you've been studying on your own, cough up (or beg, borrow, or steal) $1,500 and take a prep course. It did miracles for my score.

Breaking into even the low 160's should get you tens of thousands more dollars in scholarships (making the course pay for itself), or open up opportunities at better schools. I retook, and now I'm looking at fat schollies at both SMU and UH, and I have a shitty GPA. Don't piss away a 4.0.

Either school will do fine. Pick the city you want, and go there. UH will have a lower cost of living. SMU will have a little more prestige in Texas. Whichever you go to, plan on being stuck in that city. Otherwise, it's six one way and a half dozen the other, as best I can tell.

For those questioning his COA numbers, those are one year totals, not three year totals. I was prepared to tear into this guy's math skills until I figured that out.

Thanks for the input. So SMU, which I'm leaning, would justify the added cost?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:21 pm

courtpoll wrote:

LSU - $95,642
UH - $143,952
SMU - $162,102

Oh. Yeah, don't bother with law school, it's financially indefensible. All of those are way too expensive.

checkers

Postby checkers » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:25 pm

154/4.0/no retake

This makes me sad on several levels =[

PhilippeStandingOnIt

Postby PhilippeStandingOnIt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:25 pm

courtpoll wrote:
PhilippeStandingOnIt wrote:For your described situation, I would go to SMU if I was set on Texas, or LSU if I was set on debt-control (but I would realize LSU is not likely to get me to Texas), but either way, you're a big dumb-dumb for not retaking. If you've been studying on your own, cough up (or beg, borrow, or steal) $1,500 and take a prep course. It did miracles for my score.

Either school will do fine. Pick the city you want, and go there. UH will have a lower cost of living. SMU will have a little more prestige in Texas. Whichever you go to, plan on being stuck in that city. Otherwise, it's six one way and a half dozen the other, as best I can tell.

Thanks for the input. So SMU, which I'm leaning, would justify the added cost?

F*%k if I know. How much debt are you willing to live under to be a dirt-broke county prosecutor? For me the answer is "Next to none."

How much do you hate money?

NYCFAN1

Postby NYCFAN1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:29 pm

don't go 6 figures into debt to be a local prosecutor

Return to “Choosing a Law School”