SMU vs Baylor vs U of H

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TXMade41

SMU vs Baylor vs U of H

Postby TXMade41 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:30 am

165/3.5.

Trying to stay in TX, also applying to OU, Florida St, Florida, Miami, Arkansas, Alabama, Cal Davis, Pepperdine.

Have read all over about the difference between U of H and SMU and how Baylor is the "boot camp" of law schools.

Wondering if some recent graduates or current students have anything to say about the quality of life at U of H, the "ghetto" stigma the area has. I'm from Dallas and would optimally want to stay in Dallas, but SMU is pricey, I should get some money to both but looking for more insight.

Thanks.

sublime

Re: SMU vs Baylor vs U of H

Postby sublime » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 am

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:50 am

This is a useless exercise until you have acceptances and scholly info

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:52 am

sublime wrote:You couldn't pay me enough to go to Baylor.

Agree

Really the only one of those schools that makes any sense to me is SMU (maybe Baylor I guess but it sounds like an awful experience). I think UH and SMU tend to be around the same price with scholarships and stuff usually so there wouldn't be any reason to attend UH if that were the case. The area around the school is kind of sketchy but the campus is pretty decent from what I have seen.

I wouldn't go to any of those schools unless they were cheap (like, paying no more than about 60K total which usually necessitates a full ride). I also wouldn't go unless your career goals are modest- a burning desire to work at a small firm/local government, things like that

Why are you applying to all those other random regional schools?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:53 am

Kratos wrote:This is a useless exercise until you have acceptances and scholly info

Agree with this too. But maybe we can focus your application strategy a bit if you explain what exactly it is you want to do with a JD and where do you want to live and work?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:03 pm

If you retake and get a few more points, UT will both accept you and probably give you a decent scholarship. That's really the way to go if you want Texas.

As for SMU versus UH, I think it's largely about locational preferences and whether you want to live, network, and practice in either Dallas or Houston.
Your other school choices are very bizarre. Perhaps throw Tulane an app because I think they would give you a lot of money and be a more effective negotiating tool to up SMU and UH scholarships.

Echoing all the negatives about Baylor.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:55 pm

SMU is a pretty underrated school. Expensive, and in an expensive area of dallas, and also has a history of being very firm with preliminary scholly offers (they dont negotiate very much) but it seems to me from what I've read and heard that, for dallas at least, its a very solid option and its ranking is a little deceiving.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:57 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:its a very solid option and its ranking is a little deceiving.

How so? What do you mean? And what ranking are you talking about?

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:59 pm

Don't go to Baylor.

You owe it to yourself to retake. Just a few more points gets you into UT. Speaking from someone who did just that, UT has opened doors that just aren't possible at any other school in the state.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:03 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:its a very solid option and its ranking is a little deceiving.

he's just trying to talk himself into it

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:11 pm

agree w/ the other posters ITT that UT is obviously preferable to either UH or SMU, and you're right on the cusp of having the LSAT to make it happen.

But, yeah, UH or SMU are acceptable options, granted you (1) get a good scholarship/have a pile of money to burn, (2) want to spend your foreseeable future in Houston or Dallas, respectively, and (3) have modest goals and don't necessarily want or need biglaw.

If you do want biglaw/a chance at a fed clerkship or don't know what TX city you want to be in long term, would advise you to retake for UT.

Baylor has OK numbers. Sounds like a fucking terrible experience, but if you want to be a small practice TX litigator and you're rich, I guess there are worse places you could go.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:Baylor has OK numbers. Sounds like a fucking terrible experience, but if you want to be a small practice TX litigator and you're rich, I guess there are worse places you could go.

IIRC, the problem with Baylor is the scholarships come with crazy GPA stipulations and the school is already competitive as hell. That combined with the miserable experience, stay away.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:07 pm

BigZuck wrote:

us news rankings. I think it places pretty damn well in the dallas market. I'm not saying its UT by any means. UT is top dawg down here. But SMU is a great option for the price. Great area, good job prospects, great campus/facilities. Just pricey.

I live here, but I won't lie and say its the best option for everyone. But of the ones OP is considering, it is. UT is the better school, no doubt. but SMU is a great law school, especially for working in Dallas.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:28 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

us news rankings. I think it places pretty damn well in the dallas market. I'm not saying its UT by any means. UT is top dawg down here. But SMU is a great option for the price. Great area, good job prospects, great campus/facilities. Just pricey.

I live here, but I won't lie and say its the best option for everyone. But of the ones OP is considering, it is. UT is the better school, no doubt. but SMU is a great law school, especially for working in Dallas.

Why do US News rankings matter at all? Especially for a regional school?

I guess maybe "pretty damn well" and "great" are all relative. To me, SMU seems like a solid school assuming one has modest career aspirations.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:32 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:us news rankings.
Why are you citing usnwr. You have almost 2k posts; one would think you should have figured out by now that it is not only quite useless, but is a main reason why LS has such a shitty admissions process.
ilikebaseball wrote:But SMU is a great option for the price. Great area, good job prospects, great campus/facilities. Just pricey.
How is it a good option for the price but "pricey" is the only con? I would say 30% of graduates not becoming lawyers is a con. According to the 509, only 75% of students get a scholarship and the 75th percentile for those scholarship awards is only about half tuition, and the full price is ~50K per year. That means the best of the incoming students are going to graduate with ~150K in debt. Only 20% will get a sniff at biglaw. Not good by any means. Campus and facilities couldn't be any more meaningless.
ilikebaseball wrote:I live here, but I won't lie and say its the best option for everyone. But of the ones OP is considering, it is.
Not if OP wants to live in Houston.
ilikebaseball wrote:SMU is a great law school, especially for working in Dallas.

It is not a great school. Most people who go to UT would not consider UT a "great" school. It is an acceptable school if you have modest goals and have a great scholarship/are rich and want to practice in Dallas.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:56 pm

dont just be a tls homer... for a great # of law school applicants SMU is a fine school and for OP's stats and the fact that he literally said "I would prefer to live in Dallas" coincided with his school listings of UH, SMU, and Baylor" it IS the best option if he gets money like he states.

like how is this even an argument. He wants to work in Dallas, states that he'll get good money from SMU, and isn't considering any T14's or UT. SMU is the right choice if he isn't retaking. Simple as that.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:dont just be a tls homer... for a great # of law school applicants SMU is a fine school and for OP's stats and the fact that he literally said "I would prefer to live in Dallas" coincided with his school listings of UH, SMU, and Baylor" it IS the best option if he gets money like he states.

like how is this even an argument. He wants to work in Dallas, states that he'll get good money from SMU, and isn't considering any T14's or UT. SMU is the right choice if he isn't retaking. Simple as that.

err...don't just be a dallas homer...?

Even if he gets 75th percentile scholarship SMU is not a safe choice nor the right choice, assuming he is a generic applicant who will be debt-financing most of his COA. If he doesn't want to retake, the right choice would probably be to not go to law school. SMU is simply not a defensible option if you're taking anywhere close to 100K in debt (Yes, I am saying a great majority of SMU students made an indefensible choice to attend). Of course, the gamble is going to work out for several students in any given class. But there are not good enough odds to take this kind of risk, generally speaking.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:14 pm

I'm just answering his post. Sure, retaking is ideal. But, of the 3 schools listed, and because of the fact that he wants to stay in Dallas, SMU is the best school. Better than the other two. He also stated he would get money from SMU. I mean, I don't know specifics, what he wants to do/accomplish, how he's paying, how his softs are. I'm just going based on his post and he asked for advice on the 3 schools for working in Dallas. SMU is better than Houston as far as Dallas goes easily. I'm sure OP would be well advised to retake and shoot for UT or more $$$ from SMU, but from the info listed and the fact that he just asked for advice on the 3 schools and nothing more (like retake, different career path, etc) I think and am pretty sure SMU is his best option.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:20 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:I'm just answering his post. Sure, retaking is ideal. But, of the 3 schools listed, and because of the fact that he wants to stay in Dallas, SMU is the best school. Better than the other two. He also stated he would get money from SMU. I mean, I don't know specifics, what he wants to do/accomplish, how he's paying, how his softs are. I'm just going based on his post and he asked for advice on the 3 schools for working in Dallas. SMU is better than Houston as far as Dallas goes easily. I'm sure OP would be well advised to retake and shoot for UT or more $$$ from SMU, but from the info listed and the fact that he just asked for advice on the 3 schools and nothing more (like retake, different career path, etc) I think and am pretty sure SMU is his best option.

No, now you are just answering his post. Next time start with an analysis like this (ie a reasonable, properly qualified argument).

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:26 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:SMU is a pretty underrated school. Expensive, and in an expensive area of dallas, and also has a history of being very firm with preliminary scholly offers (they dont negotiate very much) but it seems to me from what I've read and heard that, for dallas at least, its a very solid option and its ranking is a little deceiving.

hm, okay bro

Attax

Postby Attax » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:23 pm

OP should retake.

NYCFAN1

Postby NYCFAN1 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:05 am

post is worthless without acceptances and cost of attendance figures

p1921

Postby p1921 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Bump. I'm in a similar situation- full ride from Baylor, 1/2 from SMU and UH. Really interested in IP, have the technical background, and not particularly interested in litigation. Would like to end up in the DFW area, originally from Houston. I'm pretty high on SMU, haven't heard many good things about Baylor, and don't want to go to UH and be stuck in Houston long term.

Any advice would be great. Still have an app out at UT as well. I'm not really interested in Big Law so that's not really a factor.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:33 pm

How sure are you about Dallas? Have you lived there before? Can you articulate why you're more interested in Dallas than Houston?

I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just that in my experience and those of my friends, people from other Texas cities (Austin, Houston) who interview for jobs in Dallas are often looked at a bit more skeptically by firms who believe they'll move back to their old city eventually. I'd say this is moreso than people from out of state, because someone moving from out of state, of course they'll like Dallas just as much as they might Houston or Austin; but people from Houston or Austin, they feel, are likely to feel the pull to return home.

That said, if you can articulate a reason better than "Dallas has always seemed cool to me," and you demonstrate your conscious decision to choose SMU over UH because you intended to make Dallas your home, then SMU is a very good school, and certainly a better choice than Baylor to accomplish that (even at a full 'ship at Baylor).

Baylor would probably be a better option than it currently is if their schedule didn't end up so royally screwing their students when it comes to finding important summer work in their target market. But it does, and it's far from the cities preventing meaningful network-building work during the school year, so I don't believe one should go to Baylor unless they've got work lined up already or they're headed to a small town with a dearth of lawyers.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:35 pm

p1921 wrote:Bump. I'm in a similar situation- full ride from Baylor, 1/2 from SMU and UH. Really interested in IP, have the technical background, and not particularly interested in litigation. Would like to end up in the DFW area, originally from Houston. I'm pretty high on SMU, haven't heard many good things about Baylor, and don't want to go to UH and be stuck in Houston long term.

Any advice would be great. Still have an app out at UT as well. I'm not really interested in Big Law so that's not really a factor.

What kind of IP are you thinking of/what types of firms are you interested in? Can you link us to some examples of the firms you would like to work at?

As a general matter, SMU for half off is probably top expensive to justify attending IMO. How much debt will you be in if you go that route?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”