Alabama Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ron Don Volante

Silver

Re: Alabama Law?

Post by Ron Don Volante » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:46 am

allamerican73 wrote:
sublime wrote:You probably shouldn't go to Alabama Law unless you want to practice in Alabama, or at least a bordering state.
Would certainly be difficult to obtain a job in the Midwest from Alabama in this legal environment.
uh yeah. Go to Vandy or UT and it'd probably be easier, assuming you have ties to the midwest. But if you want to be in the midwest then that's were you should be goign to school to begin with.

Alabama is an acceptable choice if you have a great scholarship, want to live in Alabama or maybe the bordering few states (but not Atlanta), and do not have your heart set on a glamorous job.

PropaneAccessories

New

Post by PropaneAccessories » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:54 pm

scooter123 wrote:Why? I know lots of attorneys working outside the south who went to Alabama. Just curious. I feel like a good law school is a good law school. I want to stay in the south . Either in Alabama or South Carolina or Florida but I don't get how it is supposedly so hard to get a job out of the region you are going to school. But I really just wanted to know what those outside the state think about Alabama law and the weight it carries .

Thanks!

If you want to work in Atlanta BigLaw, I would avoid Alabama. I would argue that, unfortunately, your friends working in D.C. are outliers and not the norm.

Alabama is a relative new comer to its USNWR ranking, a ranking which has confused many people. Additionally, although it may be unfair, the University of Alabama still gets lumped in with the state of Alabama when people still hold the perception of "It's Alabama..."

Granted, if you have in-state tuition and would not mind working in a small southern city or small southern town, then Alabama can be a great choice. The issue with trying to "hit it big" with law in the south as that your only real concentration of BigLaw is Atlanta, but it's a bloodbath. Charlotte and Nashville have BigLaw markets as well, but Nashville is notoriously insular and Charlotte is essentially small satellite offices of Atlanta firms and hyper-regional firms based in NC that pay bit below BigLaw salary.

FlamingDragon

New

Post by FlamingDragon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:11 pm

reL charlotte, there are also a number of 160k paying NY firm satellites. Dechert, mayer brown, cadwalader, and win. strawn.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:26 am

FlamingDragon wrote:reL charlotte, there are also a number of 160k paying NY firm satellites. Dechert, mayer brown, cadwalader, and win. strawn.
Good thing those summer classes are HUGE.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:47 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
FlamingDragon wrote:reL charlotte, there are also a number of 160k paying NY firm satellites. Dechert, mayer brown, cadwalader, and win. strawn.
Good thing those summer classes are HUGE.
yeah and a non-zero number of UVA grads who are targetting Charlotte and will get a spot over a Bama kid

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlamingDragon

New

Post by FlamingDragon » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:43 pm

I agree I was posting that for the information of others reading the thread. An AL grad has 0.00001% chance of getting one of those positions. UVA grads even have a very slim chance, think higher T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”