3.8/169 Diversity Question.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
starry eyed

3.8/169 Diversity Question.

Postby starry eyed » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:34 am

Not sure which forum to put this, but i've noticed that most of the t14 schools are in the northeast and out west. The vast majority of admitted students come from places other than the 'real south' -MS, LA, AL. I'm assuming because there is an intelligence gap. Say me and someone else with identical stats are on the waiting list and one of will get admitted. He went to liberal arts college up north, I went to a state school down south. Who is more likely to get in? I would think admitting me would contribute more to the class's diversity?

Stats: 3.81
168-170 (waiting on results-but almost positive within this range)- retaking in feb though.
Goal: H/S/C/C/N

bhowton

Re: 3.8/169 Diversity Question.

Postby bhowton » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:42 am

alaird21 wrote:Say me and someone else with identical stats are on the waiting list and one of will get admitted. He went to liberal arts college up north, I went to a state school down south. Who is more likely to get in? I would think admitting me would contribute more to the class's diversity?

That depends on whether you're a good ole boy or gal and, if your state school down south tests low, how well you can persuade adcoms with a 'rose in the weeds' type PS. Otherwise, they'd be letting you in on account of the accent, and there are plenty of those to go around.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:03 am

bhowton wrote:
alaird21 wrote:Say me and someone else with identical stats are on the waiting list and one of will get admitted. He went to liberal arts college up north, I went to a state school down south. Who is more likely to get in? I would think admitting me would contribute more to the class's diversity?

That depends on whether you're a good ole boy or gal and, if your state school down south tests low, how well you can persuade adcoms with a 'rose in the weeds' type PS. Otherwise, they'd be letting you in on account of the accent, and there are plenty of those to go around.

It tests very low. My school's 4-year graduation rate is 14%. Lsat avg 145. Yes I'm a good ol boy lol. I have a ps about another topic. Would a diversity statement be good?
Last edited by starry eyed on Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

bhowton

Postby bhowton » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:13 am

It couldn't hurt, but it is difficult to say if it would do any good. So sell me: what's your diverse point of view?

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:20 am

I don't really have a diverse point of view other than the fact that I turned down prestigious colleges for a cheap state school knowing that I wanted to do law school from the beginning and knowing that the name of the undergrad institution carries little weight. I thought my decision was the best investment. They may think i'm a slacker for going into a less-than-rigorous college though.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:22 am

What difference will it make to your application plan if you would get accepted over a northeast LAC person?

(I don't think law schools select for geographic diversity as much as undergrads do, in part because I don't think HYSCCN are hurting for applicants from all over the country, but that's just a guess given that numbers play a more important role in law school admissions than undergrad.)

umichman

Postby umichman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:26 am

alaird21 wrote:I don't really have a diverse point of view other than the fact that I turned down prestigious colleges for a cheap state school knowing that I wanted to do law school from the beginning and knowing that the name of the undergrad institution carries little weight. I thought my decision was the best investment. They may think i'm a slacker for going into a less-than-rigorous college though.

This sounds like a terrible idea. You don't want to tell the law school that you went to an easy school just to get a high GPA. They will already see that you went to a bad school, you don't need to remind them by telling them that you didnt think you could get as high of a GPA at a good school.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:06 am

umichman wrote:
alaird21 wrote:I don't really have a diverse point of view other than the fact that I turned down prestigious colleges for a cheap state school knowing that I wanted to do law school from the beginning and knowing that the name of the undergrad institution carries little weight. I thought my decision was the best investment. They may think i'm a slacker for going into a less-than-rigorous college though.

This sounds like a terrible idea. You don't want to tell the law school that you went to an easy school just to get a high GPA. They will already see that you went to a bad school, you don't need to remind them by telling them that you didnt think you could get as high of a GPA at a good school.

In all fairness, how your school ranks has nothing to do with the easiness of getting a high gpa, outside exceptions such as MIT. Terrible teachers do not just hand out A's. Grade inflation is widespread. Again, i chose this school bc it was the cheapest option, not bc i though i would get a high gpa.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:10 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:What difference will it make to your application plan if you would get accepted over a northeast LAC person?

(I don't think law schools select for geographic diversity as much as undergrads do, in part because I don't think HYSCCN are hurting for applicants from all over the country, but that's just a guess given that numbers play a more important role in law school admissions than undergrad.)

No difference. You're probably right. I just looked on harvard's website and they seem to pride themselves on the number of undergrad institutions they select from. I obviously did not see my school. lol

bhowton

Postby bhowton » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:17 am

Debt is a viable reason for selecting a state school, though not one that speaks to diversity. Competitiveness, however, is not. If you worked in undergrad, voluntarily or paid, or had any obligations keeping you in-state, I would mention them. They might prove the uniqueness of your experience. Otherwise, I would suggest you roll the dice. I have similar numbers to yours, I come from the true south, I attended a noncompetitive state school, and though I have a few years out of UG and a master's degree, I've been accepted at NYU. I don't think your chances are bad. Just make your case in the PS and see how things shake up.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:48 am

I don't have much going on extra-curricular wise, other than honorable discharge from the army prior to undergrad. I'm actually going to NY today to visit some family. While there, I am going to visit NYU. It definitely seems like the most likely place I'll be going. The gi bill pays a ton to live in nyc- more evidence of my averseness to debt lol.

bhowton

Postby bhowton » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:52 am

alaird21 wrote:I don't have much going on extra-curricular wise, other than honorable discharge from the army prior to undergrad. I'm actually going to NY today to visit some family. While there, I am going to visit NYU. It definitely seems like the most likely place I'll be going. The gi bill pays a ton to live in nyc- more evidence of my averseness to debt lol.

If you were in the army, your CV will shine. I hope the LSAT turns out as you hope. Best of luck.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm relatively new to the application process. What does CV stand for? And thanks.
Yes. Army airborne infantry

Nvmd: curriculum vitae (found it)

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:35 pm

All else being equal, if on the waitlist or something, a school may admit someone from Mississippi rather than yet another Californian or New Yorker just so they can brag about "40 states represented!" Since you're a vet, trivial softs like home-state will not come into play as you'll be accepted because of your great softs and solid numbers (knock on wood).

Personally, I wouldn't write a PS DS. [edited to fix typo]

I'm really interested in seeing how your cycle plays out. Keep us posted.
Last edited by Rigo on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:37 am

Dirigo wrote:All else being equal, if on the waitlist or something, a school may admit someone from Mississippi rather than yet another Californian or New Yorker just so they can brag about "40 states represented!" Since you're a vet, trivial softs like home-state will not come into play as you'll be accepted because of your great softs and solid numbers (knock on wood).

Personally, I wouldn't write a PS.

You mean DS, right? (I figure he has to write a PS.)

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:40 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Dirigo wrote:All else being equal, if on the waitlist or something, a school may admit someone from Mississippi rather than yet another Californian or New Yorker just so they can brag about "40 states represented!" Since you're a vet, trivial softs like home-state will not come into play as you'll be accepted because of your great softs and solid numbers (knock on wood).
Personally, I wouldn't write a PS.

You mean DS, right? (I figure he has to write a PS.)

Sorry, typo.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”