Northeastern University School of Law at 'Sticker'?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kurtvonnegut

Northeastern University School of Law at 'Sticker'?

Postby kurtvonnegut » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Hello,

Are there any circumstances under which the people of this fine forum would see that as an acceptable choice? How about for someone who is 100% PI-minded and wants to practice in the Northeast/NE.

Thanks in Advance...

—KurtVonnegut

ballcaps

Re: Northeastern University School of Law at 'Sticker'?

Postby ballcaps » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:40 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... tern/2013/

to be polite: i would question that choice, given the cost and average employment outcomes (PI/LRAP-regardless.)

to be real: absolutely not, under any circumstances.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:47 pm

It's barely defensible to even attend Northeastern Law for free. Full freight price is an apocalyptically bad idea.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:48 pm

What are your alternatives to law school? Where do you work now? What is your major? Grades? Connections? Possible job salary and ladder growth?

kurtvonnegut

Postby kurtvonnegut » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:56 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:What are your alternatives to law school? Where do you work now? What is your major? Grades? Connections? Possible job salary and ladder growth?

I am a 1L at a school ranked within 10 of NUSL's with a full scholarship. I like NUSL's course offerings and PI focus.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:58 pm

kurtvonnegut wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:What are your alternatives to law school? Where do you work now? What is your major? Grades? Connections? Possible job salary and ladder growth?

I am a 1L at a school ranked within 10 of NUSL's with a full scholarship. I like NUSL's course offerings and PI focus.

Course offerings and "focus" mean almost nothing when you're trying to get a job. It'll be equally hard to get a job from your current school, but at least your debt will be somewhat less life-ruining.

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:00 pm

kurtvonnegut wrote:

Definitely don't dump your full scholly for sticker at a regional. That's a terrible idea.

kurtvonnegut

Postby kurtvonnegut » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
kurtvonnegut wrote:

Course offerings and "focus" mean almost nothing when you're trying to get a job. It'll be equally hard to get a job from your current school, but at least your debt will be somewhat less life-ruining.

I'm not interested in 'big law.' I am interested in government, NGO, and PI work.

kurtvonnegut

Postby kurtvonnegut » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:01 pm

whitespider wrote:
kurtvonnegut wrote:

Definitely don't dump your full scholly for sticker at a regional. That's a terrible idea.

NUSL offered me a 'priority transfer admission' deal. Supposedly, they offer 'modest' aid to some.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:05 pm

kurtvonnegut wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
kurtvonnegut wrote:

I'm not interested in 'big law.' I am interested in government, NGO, and PI work.

Doesn't matter. Those jobs are hard as shit to get out of a good school, let alone NE. A couple extra PI classes won't significantly improve your chances of getting a job, but at least you can reduce the magnitude of your potential future poverty (should you not get a job, which is not unlikely) by minimizing your debt.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:05 pm

kurtvonnegut wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
kurtvonnegut wrote:

Probably harder to get than big law work.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:14 pm

I would recommend that you join a gang and try to make a life in crime before attending northeastern at sticker.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:26 pm

kurtvonnegut wrote:

in that case, definitely, definitely, definitely do NOT take the offer unless they match your (full) scholarship.

to summarize: you're focussing too much on minor details (i.e. where in the lower half of the top 100 these schools rank; what they focus on academically) and not enough on the major features of your situation (i.e. law school writ large, and the costs and benefits that come with it.)

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:52 pm

kurtvonnegut wrote:

None of that matters when trying to get a job. Stick with your full scholarship.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:03 pm

Just want to echo what everyone else is saying to empathize what a stupid decision it is to transfer from a school you're attending for free to another TTT where you'll pay sticker.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:21 am

do this under no circumstances

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:43 pm

Don't do it bro. Just don't.

Wingtip88

Postby Wingtip88 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Would you take out a mortgage that doesn't actually come with a house? Attending this school for any amount of debt makes the same amount of sense.

leathery

Postby leathery » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:48 pm

OK, so I think the picture is clear for him. To hijack the thread for a second, what's the consensus on attending NUSL full scholly? Regional/PI interest with connections in fed/state/local government in Boston.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:57 pm

leathery wrote:OK, so I think the picture is clear for him. To hijack the thread for a second, what's the consensus on attending NUSL full scholly? Regional/PI interest with connections in fed/state/local government in Boston.

Risky af.
You should at the very least retake to apply for the BU ED full ride.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:Would you take out a mortgage that doesn't actually come with a house? Attending this school for any amount of debt makes the same amount of sense.

This analogy should be used more often.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:14 pm

Why do people have this idea that government jobs are easy to get?

I mean, I suppose if you're happy being an assistant DA in Incest Lake, Alabama for 30k a year, yeah, it's probably not impossible out of a shitty school. Decent fed and even state jobs are tough, though, even for people from good schools.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:19 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Incest Lake, Alabama.

LJL. Thank you for that.

Wingtip88

Postby Wingtip88 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:24 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Wingtip88 wrote:Would you take out a mortgage that doesn't actually come with a house? Attending this school for any amount of debt makes the same amount of sense.

This analogy should be used more often.

Arguably the debtor with a mortgage sans house is better off than the indebted TTT grad - mortgages are dischargable. :)

UnderTheLaw

Postby UnderTheLaw » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:34 pm

I read all the comments under the assumption we were talking about Northwestern.

Northwestern would have been the better discussion.

Northeastern at sticker is insanity.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”