I figured it out

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
alexrodriguez

Re: I figured it out

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:37 pm

secadc11 wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:I'll be attending the University of Minnesota!

Do you mind explaining your decision? I'm very curious.

I did a pro/con list.

12 to 9 in favor

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:38 pm

secadc11 wrote:

It was an ED app. Wasn't much of a choice, other than bailing on the cycle which is probably CR

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:38 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
secadc11 wrote:

I did a pro/con list.

12 to 9 in favor

Please share

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Ya because the pro of retaking for a better score which you are doing should count for everything

banjo

Re: Miami vs Minnesotta

Postby banjo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:33 pm

louierodriguez wrote:My mom has consistently told me that Miami might not be the best place simply because of the people, the lifestyle, materialism blah blah blah... I can look past all that, but maybe Minnesota really is the better place to live, get married, have kids blah blah blah

louierodriguez wrote:Minnesota would give me the mindset of, okay, I'm here, this is my life, the law is my profession, I'm here in school because I want to be a lawyer, find a job or you'll be screwed. sink or swim buddy

you know... I think thats important

You wanted stability, so you picked a school with a 19% underemployment score in a tiny market where you have no ties?

Come on. You're just IMPATIENT. Withdraw, retake, and do this right.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm happy with my choice.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:54 pm

It's your life, but I don't think this is wise.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:14 pm

I'll be getting a great education practically for free. I think it's a great choice.

I think it's time I officially sign out of TLS!

Good Luck Ya'll

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Some people just can't be patient

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:14 pm

louierodriguez wrote:I'll be getting a great education practically for free. I think it's a great choice.

Good Luck Ya'll

You do you, man, but it's kind of a weak, childish move to take your toys and go home because you don't like the advice you're getting.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:38 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:I'll be getting a great education practically for free. I think it's a great choice.

Good Luck Ya'll

You do you, man, but it's kind of a weak, childish move to take your toys and go home because you don't like the advice you're getting.

Let me tell you the real story....

I called the admissions office today and asked about why I had been accepted binding early decision. They told me the email I sent asking for my application to be switched was sent to their spam folder.

I was then told that if I really wanted to switch to regular decision it's very possible that I'll lose the scholarship and may not even get accepted. They told me that I was accepted and given scholarship money because I had applied early decision.

I honestly think Minnesota is going to be my best option. I could have a total meltdown on this December exam or come across a Logic Game that completely stumps me... or have a bad read on a RC passage. Do I want to go to a T14... of course! That's why I applied to 7 of them. I took your advice. I've soaked it all in.

But what if I fail? and get accepted to nothing? What if I lose my chance all because I was stupid in thinking I had a shot at some of these top schools?

It's not an easy choice. They told me I had by 4pm to let them know and I sat there and pondered it forever. I even called Michigan's admission office to tell them my predicament. They didn't give me a clearcut answer as to what I should do, but the guy was definitely helpful. A few months ago I would have done anything to get accepted to a school like Minnesota. A girl I worked with pointed out today that I would have given an arm and a leg to go there. Why is it now that I'm having second thoughts? Greed? Because all of a sudden I'm scoring a bit higher? I could score a 180 on this next test and still be happy with Minnesota. So why not just go there?

Minnesota is there and its practically free. T14 is just a pipe dream.
Even if I do score a lot better Minnesota is willing to up the ante on the scholarship.

I'm trying to do whats best for myself. I really am. Understand that. I just don't see me having a real enough shot to screw up something that is good in and of itself. Am I making sense?

If anybody has anything substantial to say... I welcome it, but don't just criticize without putting some thought into my situation.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:47 pm

louierodriguez wrote:A few months ago I would have done anything to get accepted to a school like Minnesota. A girl I worked with pointed out today that I would have given an arm and a leg to go there. Why is it now that I'm having second thoughts? Greed? Because all of a sudden I'm scoring a bit higher? I could score a 180 on this next test and still be happy with Minnesota. So why not just go there?

This is like saying, I was working really hard at my $60k/year job to save up for a Porsche, but all the sudden, I won the $200 mil lottery, do I want to get a Porsche anymore? Hell no, I'll be rolling in a Ferrari baby.

The you a few months ago is different than the you now--it's not greed. But hey, good luck to you, your life your call.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:00 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
Even if I do score a lot better Minnesota is willing to up the ante on the scholarship.

I'm trying to do whats best for myself. I really am. Understand that. I just don't see me having a real enough shot to screw up something that is good in and of itself. Am I making sense?

If anybody has anything substantial to say... I welcome it, but don't just criticize without putting some thought into my situation.

If you're really scoring where you say you are, why is T14 a pipe dream? UVA is "there" as well, and it would be just as practically free. Even if Minnesota ups your scholarship, it's not really going to make much of a difference because of the way the GI Bill works.

I'm just confused as to why you think you don't have a "real enough shot." You said you were consistently in the high 160s, low 170s. Is that not true?

Understand that Minnesota for 4k a year plus a COL stipend isn't BAD or anything. It's just not nearly as good as other things you could have. And your complete lack of ties combined with a small market should worry you.

Why are you acting like there is a bomb strapped to your chest that'll detonate if you don't go to law school this year, anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're young and single. You're just out of the Navy and have no responsibilities. Relax.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:23 pm

spam folder... yea right.. they saw the GI bill and accepted you asap (not sure, really just putting it out there). Wasn't there an article on LS preying on GIs? it's disgusting...

You could still retake

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm convinced that this kid is related to darascal

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:13 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Good Luck Ya'll

Let me tell you the real story....

I called the admissions office today and asked about why I had been accepted binding early decision. They told me the email I sent asking for my application to be switched was sent to their spam folder.

I was then told that if I really wanted to switch to regular decision it's very possible that I'll lose the scholarship and may not even get accepted. They told me that I was accepted and given scholarship money because I had applied early decision.

I honestly think Minnesota is going to be my best option. I could have a total meltdown on this December exam or come across a Logic Game that completely stumps me... or have a bad read on a RC passage. Do I want to go to a T14... of course! That's why I applied to 7 of them. I took your advice. I've soaked it all in.

But what if I fail? and get accepted to nothing? What if I lose my chance all because I was stupid in thinking I had a shot at some of these top schools?

It's not an easy choice. They told me I had by 4pm to let them know and I sat there and pondered it forever. I even called Michigan's admission office to tell them my predicament. They didn't give me a clearcut answer as to what I should do, but the guy was definitely helpful. A few months ago I would have done anything to get accepted to a school like Minnesota. A girl I worked with pointed out today that I would have given an arm and a leg to go there. Why is it now that I'm having second thoughts? Greed? Because all of a sudden I'm scoring a bit higher? I could score a 180 on this next test and still be happy with Minnesota. So why not just go there?

What a scummy, scummy move on their part. Terrible.

Anyway, I've thought a lot (and written a lot) about your situation. This is pretty much worse case scenario for someone with military benefits. Random regional school in a market you have no ties to that's far away from markets you do have ties to. I go to a regional school that is significantly better than Minnesota and located in a market that is much healthier than Minnesota's and I have strong ties (although not born and raised here) and I still nearly struck out. I can only imagine how much of a struggle it would have been to find a job if I didn't luck out at OCI. This is a really, really bad move IMO.

Good luck man.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:27 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:I'm convinced that this kid is related to darascal

Implying it's not a Minnesota ad comm

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm calling them tomorrow. If they want to take away my scholarship then so be it. I applied to 7 Top 14's for a reason.

TLS saving my life once again!

Can't wait to call Michigan and tell them I'm holding out for something better

I still wouldn't mind going to Minnesota though. I'm just not playing this early decision game. I emailed them that document wanting to switch to regular decision for a reason.

I'm really trying here people... I really am... I felt like I had a gun to my head earlier today... that's no way to make a decision

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Wtf is going on

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:36 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Wtf is going on

I don't know what to think anymore.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:40 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Wtf is going on

I don't know what to think anymore.

I'm shooting for the stars is whats going on. I'm taking a practice test tomorrow and the real deal on Saturday.

I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot right before the climb up Everest.

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:44 pm

i dont think you're ok dude

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Yeah, I mean, I don't think you should go to Minnesota so I'm happy about that but you seem bipolar or something. Something just seems off.

Much like the Rascal I suggest putting law school off for a few years and acquiring some maturity in the meantime. Adding law school on top of whatever else is going on is a recipe for disaster IMO.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:53 pm

There is nothing else going on.

I'm just trying to set myself up for success.

Posting on TLS is just my way of thinking out loud and getting feedback.

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:56 pm

My advice...

Stop acting like a maniac. Calm down.

If things don't work out this year, so be it.

Law school isnt going anywhere.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”