I figured it out

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:37 pm

secadc11 wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:I'll be attending the University of Minnesota!


Do you mind explaining your decision? I'm very curious.


I did a pro/con list.

12 to 9 in favor

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9653
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: I figured it out

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:38 pm

secadc11 wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:I'll be attending the University of Minnesota!


Do you mind explaining your decision? I'm very curious.


It was an ED app. Wasn't much of a choice, other than bailing on the cycle which is probably CR

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9653
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: I figured it out

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:38 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
secadc11 wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:I'll be attending the University of Minnesota!


Do you mind explaining your decision? I'm very curious.


I did a pro/con list.

12 to 9 in favor


Please share

User avatar
unodostres
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: I figured it out

Postby unodostres » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Ya because the pro of retaking for a better score which you are doing should count for everything

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Miami vs Minnesotta

Postby banjo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:33 pm

louierodriguez wrote:My mom has consistently told me that Miami might not be the best place simply because of the people, the lifestyle, materialism blah blah blah... I can look past all that, but maybe Minnesota really is the better place to live, get married, have kids blah blah blah


louierodriguez wrote:Minnesota would give me the mindset of, okay, I'm here, this is my life, the law is my profession, I'm here in school because I want to be a lawyer, find a job or you'll be screwed. sink or swim buddy

you know... I think thats important


You wanted stability, so you picked a school with a 19% underemployment score in a tiny market where you have no ties?

Come on. You're just IMPATIENT. Withdraw, retake, and do this right.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm happy with my choice.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: I figured it out

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:54 pm

It's your life, but I don't think this is wise.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:14 pm

I'll be getting a great education practically for free. I think it's a great choice.

I think it's time I officially sign out of TLS!

Good Luck Ya'll

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby jingosaur » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Some people just can't be patient

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: I figured it out

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:14 pm

louierodriguez wrote:I'll be getting a great education practically for free. I think it's a great choice.

I think it's time I officially sign out of TLS!

Good Luck Ya'll


You do you, man, but it's kind of a weak, childish move to take your toys and go home because you don't like the advice you're getting.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:38 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:I'll be getting a great education practically for free. I think it's a great choice.

I think it's time I officially sign out of TLS!

Good Luck Ya'll


You do you, man, but it's kind of a weak, childish move to take your toys and go home because you don't like the advice you're getting.


Let me tell you the real story....

I called the admissions office today and asked about why I had been accepted binding early decision. They told me the email I sent asking for my application to be switched was sent to their spam folder.

I was then told that if I really wanted to switch to regular decision it's very possible that I'll lose the scholarship and may not even get accepted. They told me that I was accepted and given scholarship money because I had applied early decision.

I honestly think Minnesota is going to be my best option. I could have a total meltdown on this December exam or come across a Logic Game that completely stumps me... or have a bad read on a RC passage. Do I want to go to a T14... of course! That's why I applied to 7 of them. I took your advice. I've soaked it all in.

But what if I fail? and get accepted to nothing? What if I lose my chance all because I was stupid in thinking I had a shot at some of these top schools?

It's not an easy choice. They told me I had by 4pm to let them know and I sat there and pondered it forever. I even called Michigan's admission office to tell them my predicament. They didn't give me a clearcut answer as to what I should do, but the guy was definitely helpful. A few months ago I would have done anything to get accepted to a school like Minnesota. A girl I worked with pointed out today that I would have given an arm and a leg to go there. Why is it now that I'm having second thoughts? Greed? Because all of a sudden I'm scoring a bit higher? I could score a 180 on this next test and still be happy with Minnesota. So why not just go there?

Minnesota is there and its practically free. T14 is just a pipe dream.
Even if I do score a lot better Minnesota is willing to up the ante on the scholarship.

I'm trying to do whats best for myself. I really am. Understand that. I just don't see me having a real enough shot to screw up something that is good in and of itself. Am I making sense?

If anybody has anything substantial to say... I welcome it, but don't just criticize without putting some thought into my situation.

Jchance
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby Jchance » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:47 pm

louierodriguez wrote:A few months ago I would have done anything to get accepted to a school like Minnesota. A girl I worked with pointed out today that I would have given an arm and a leg to go there. Why is it now that I'm having second thoughts? Greed? Because all of a sudden I'm scoring a bit higher? I could score a 180 on this next test and still be happy with Minnesota. So why not just go there?


This is like saying, I was working really hard at my $60k/year job to save up for a Porsche, but all the sudden, I won the $200 mil lottery, do I want to get a Porsche anymore? Hell no, I'll be rolling in a Ferrari baby.

The you a few months ago is different than the you now--it's not greed. But hey, good luck to you, your life your call.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: I figured it out

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:00 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
Minnesota is there and its practically free. T14 is just a pipe dream.
Even if I do score a lot better Minnesota is willing to up the ante on the scholarship.

I'm trying to do whats best for myself. I really am. Understand that. I just don't see me having a real enough shot to screw up something that is good in and of itself. Am I making sense?

If anybody has anything substantial to say... I welcome it, but don't just criticize without putting some thought into my situation.


If you're really scoring where you say you are, why is T14 a pipe dream? UVA is "there" as well, and it would be just as practically free. Even if Minnesota ups your scholarship, it's not really going to make much of a difference because of the way the GI Bill works.

I'm just confused as to why you think you don't have a "real enough shot." You said you were consistently in the high 160s, low 170s. Is that not true?

Understand that Minnesota for 4k a year plus a COL stipend isn't BAD or anything. It's just not nearly as good as other things you could have. And your complete lack of ties combined with a small market should worry you.

Why are you acting like there is a bomb strapped to your chest that'll detonate if you don't go to law school this year, anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're young and single. You're just out of the Navy and have no responsibilities. Relax.

mvp99
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: I figured it out

Postby mvp99 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:23 pm

spam folder... yea right.. they saw the GI bill and accepted you asap (not sure, really just putting it out there). Wasn't there an article on LS preying on GIs? it's disgusting...

You could still retake

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: I figured it out

Postby chuckbass » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm convinced that this kid is related to darascal

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:13 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:I'll be getting a great education practically for free. I think it's a great choice.

I think it's time I officially sign out of TLS!

Good Luck Ya'll


You do you, man, but it's kind of a weak, childish move to take your toys and go home because you don't like the advice you're getting.


Let me tell you the real story....

I called the admissions office today and asked about why I had been accepted binding early decision. They told me the email I sent asking for my application to be switched was sent to their spam folder.

I was then told that if I really wanted to switch to regular decision it's very possible that I'll lose the scholarship and may not even get accepted. They told me that I was accepted and given scholarship money because I had applied early decision.

I honestly think Minnesota is going to be my best option. I could have a total meltdown on this December exam or come across a Logic Game that completely stumps me... or have a bad read on a RC passage. Do I want to go to a T14... of course! That's why I applied to 7 of them. I took your advice. I've soaked it all in.

But what if I fail? and get accepted to nothing? What if I lose my chance all because I was stupid in thinking I had a shot at some of these top schools?

It's not an easy choice. They told me I had by 4pm to let them know and I sat there and pondered it forever. I even called Michigan's admission office to tell them my predicament. They didn't give me a clearcut answer as to what I should do, but the guy was definitely helpful. A few months ago I would have done anything to get accepted to a school like Minnesota. A girl I worked with pointed out today that I would have given an arm and a leg to go there. Why is it now that I'm having second thoughts? Greed? Because all of a sudden I'm scoring a bit higher? I could score a 180 on this next test and still be happy with Minnesota. So why not just go there?

Minnesota is there and its practically free. T14 is just a pipe dream.
Even if I do score a lot better Minnesota is willing to up the ante on the scholarship.

I'm trying to do whats best for myself. I really am. Understand that. I just don't see me having a real enough shot to screw up something that is good in and of itself. Am I making sense?

If anybody has anything substantial to say... I welcome it, but don't just criticize without putting some thought into my situation.


What a scummy, scummy move on their part. Terrible.

Anyway, I've thought a lot (and written a lot) about your situation. This is pretty much worse case scenario for someone with military benefits. Random regional school in a market you have no ties to that's far away from markets you do have ties to. I go to a regional school that is significantly better than Minnesota and located in a market that is much healthier than Minnesota's and I have strong ties (although not born and raised here) and I still nearly struck out. I can only imagine how much of a struggle it would have been to find a job if I didn't luck out at OCI. This is a really, really bad move IMO.

Good luck man.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:27 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:I'm convinced that this kid is related to darascal



Implying it's not a Minnesota ad comm

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm calling them tomorrow. If they want to take away my scholarship then so be it. I applied to 7 Top 14's for a reason.

TLS saving my life once again!

Can't wait to call Michigan and tell them I'm holding out for something better

I still wouldn't mind going to Minnesota though. I'm just not playing this early decision game. I emailed them that document wanting to switch to regular decision for a reason.

I'm really trying here people... I really am... I felt like I had a gun to my head earlier today... that's no way to make a decision

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: I figured it out

Postby chuckbass » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Wtf is going on

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: I figured it out

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:36 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Wtf is going on


I don't know what to think anymore.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:40 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Wtf is going on


I don't know what to think anymore.


I'm shooting for the stars is whats going on. I'm taking a practice test tomorrow and the real deal on Saturday.

I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot right before the climb up Everest.

User avatar
unodostres
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: I figured it out

Postby unodostres » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:44 pm

i dont think you're ok dude

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Yeah, I mean, I don't think you should go to Minnesota so I'm happy about that but you seem bipolar or something. Something just seems off.

Much like the Rascal I suggest putting law school off for a few years and acquiring some maturity in the meantime. Adding law school on top of whatever else is going on is a recipe for disaster IMO.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:53 pm

There is nothing else going on.

I'm just trying to set myself up for success.

Posting on TLS is just my way of thinking out loud and getting feedback.

User avatar
whitespider
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:37 am

Re: I figured it out

Postby whitespider » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:56 pm

My advice...

Stop acting like a maniac. Calm down.

If things don't work out this year, so be it.

Law school isnt going anywhere.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Specter1389 and 8 guests