I figured it out

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheSpanishMain

Re: Minnesota

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Minnesota with 80% off plus a cost of living stipend isn't a bad deal or anything, although I'd be wary since you have 0 ties to the state.

If you're PTing in the high 160s/low 170s, I'd hold off. If you can do that on test day, you'd probably get UVA with an ED application next cycle. Minnesota with 80% off is okay, but UVA with 80% off is so much better.

As an aside, are you still in the Reserves? I'd strongly consider volunteering for a year long mobilization if you can to get your eligibility up to 100% and cop dat Yellow Ribbon for private schools like Cornell.

alexrodriguez

Re: Minnesota

Postby alexrodriguez » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:24 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Minnesota with 80% off plus a cost of living stipend isn't a bad deal or anything, although I'd be wary since you have 0 ties to the state.

If you're PTing in the high 160s/low 170s, I'd hold off. If you can do that on test day, you'd probably get UVA with an ED application next cycle. Minnesota with 80% off is okay, but UVA with 80% off is so much better.

As an aside, are you still in the Reserves? I'd strongly consider volunteering for a year long mobilization if you can to get your eligibility up to 100% and cop dat Yellow Ribbon for private schools like Cornell.

No longer affiliated with the reserves.

Just applied to UVA, Michigan, Berkeley, and NYU.

Hopefully I can knock December out the water and hopefully these schools appreciate the effort I put into my apps.

I can accept rejection, but I can't accept not trying. Wish me luck guys

jbagelboy

Re: I figured it out

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:16 pm

I thought you were harvard or bust

Or is that some other guy with a similar username

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:09 am

jbagelboy wrote:I thought you were harvard or bust

That's LSATneurotic.
Lrod seems to be Miami, Minnesota, or bust.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:30 am

nah i think bagel is right
i vaguely remember him being all about harvard

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:18 am

jbagelboy wrote:I thought you were harvard or bust

well hopefully I do get into Harvard

but I've realized there are plenty of schools that can house my goals

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:52 am

Miami and Minnesota are the two schools I'd pick if I was trying to come with an example of two completely different, random regional schools.

Louie, do you at least see why people think you're flighty and indecisive? Very recently you were all, "Miami is home, I never want to leave, I love this city, I'm all about the U..." Now you're suddenly like, "Fuck the city of Miami, I got into a school that a magazine ranked higher!"

Like I said above, Minn with 80% off plus COL is not a bad deal in a vacuum, but I still think you should wait a cycle.
Last edited by TheSpanishMain on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:41 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Miami and Minnesota are the two schools I'd pick if I was trying to come with an example of two completely different, random regional schools.

Louie, do you at least see why people think you're flighty and indecisive? Very recently you were all, "Miami is home, I never want to live, I love this city, I'm all about the U..." Now you're suddenly like, "Fuck the city of Miami, I got into a school that a magazine ranked higher!"

Like I said above, Minn with 80% off plus COL is not a bad deal in a vacuum, but I still think you should wait a cycle.

why do you think I should wait a cycle though? I think you only say that assuming I do very well in December. I hope that's the case but it might not be...

This cycle is still going strong. I have an interview coming up at Northwestern and I recently applied to Michigan, UVA, Berkeley, and NYU.

I really like the idea of Michigan. I like the idea of living in the Lawyers Club and being 50 yards from class. I really hope I can get in here. I think the only reason I'd wait out a cycle would be to ED Michigan. I don't think I can wait that long though. All this studying for the LSAT and applications has got my hyped up and ready to take on 1L year. I feel like I need to roll with the momentum. I've already waited 5 years to start law school.

I do understand me being flighty and indecisive. I guess I just want to justify why every school I get into could in theory be a solid choice for me. South Florida is home and I do love The U. Minnesota has more opportunities for me though. I think I'd grow more as a person here. Getting into Minnesota though has led me to believe maybe I do have a chance at some of these top ranked schools... I'm happy with the Minnesota though. I've already justified it and went through all the rationalization. All I can do now is reach even higher. I have nothing to lose.

If I get denied at all 7 of the T14's that I applied to... its likely that I'm going to Minnesota. We may have to discuss Fordham.

I really want Michigan though. I'd put my deposit down the next day. They have a Summer Start program too. I wouldn't mine jumping in on that.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:51 am

But without a higher score you won't get into Michigan... The cycle isn't strong just because you've applied to those schools, and lol NU interviews anyone that requests it, so I wouldn't point to that as evidence of a strong cycle.

Let's talk about UMN for a second. You've rationalized it and it's a wonderful choice blah blah blah. Have you ever been to Minnesota? You're really that confident that you're ready to commit to locking yourself down there? Because that's what you'd do by going to UMN. And even then, so many UMN grads are struggling. You'd probably struggle even more considering a lot of the people you'd be competing with for jobs are from Minnesota. I'm not saying this to bash the school or lessen your accomplishments, I'm saying this because you're being naive. Law school is not about growing as a person, it's about getting the job outcome that you want.

Everyone on here is just trying to help you make the right decision, so hopefully something gets through.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:02 am

louierodriguez wrote:why do you think I should wait a cycle though? I think you only say that assuming I do very well in December. I hope that's the case but it might not be...

Well, yeah, if you're truly PTing in the high 160s under test day conditions, your score in December should be a significant jump.

I also think you need to step back and really focus on what the hell you want, where you want to be, etc. It's hard to keep track of your goals. One minute you're dead set on being a South Florida lawyer, and the next you're in love with Minneapolis. There's nothing wrong with either, but the target keeps moving here. If you're this unsure about where you want to eventually live, you need to go to a school with some degree of national placement. That's not out of the question for you next cycle, since with your GI Bill you can afford to ED to compensate for your GPA.

Also, you realize when you say you've gone through "all the rationalization" that's not a good thing, right?

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:49 am

scottidsntknow wrote:But without a higher score you won't get into Michigan...

I know. I've seen huge improvement in recent days, so we'll see what happens December 6th. I'm taking a PT today and one Wednesday, so hopefully I'm still consistent with high 160's low 170's.

TheSpanishMain wrote:

Well, yeah, if you're truly PTing in the high 160s under test day conditions, your score in December should be a significant jump.

I also think you need to step back and really focus on what the hell you want, where you want to be, etc. It's hard to keep track of your goals. One minute you're dead set on being a South Florida lawyer, and the next you're in love with Minneapolis. There's nothing wrong with either, but the target keeps moving here. If you're this unsure about where you want to eventually live, you need to go to a school with some degree of national placement. That's not out of the question for you next cycle, since with your GI Bill you can afford to ED to compensate for your GPA.

Also, you realize when you say you've gone through "all the rationalization" that's not a good thing, right?[/quote]

I agree, I do need to go to a school with national placement. I totally agree. I'm open to living in a lot of different places. Minnesota happens to be one of those places I wouldn't mind living, so going to UMN could make sense and it might even happen. I'm definitely aiming for the T14 though and specifically Michigan.

And yea, I know rationalizing isn't necessarily a good thing. I probably chose the wrong word. I wasn't justifying it. I just walked myself through the idea of living in Minneapolis and going to school there. I realized I could do that.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:50 am

scottidsntknow wrote:But without a higher score you won't get into Michigan...

I know. I've seen huge improvement in recent days, so we'll see what happens December 6th. I'm taking a PT today and one Wednesday, so hopefully I'm still consistent with high 160's low 170's.

TheSpanishMain wrote:

Also, you realize when you say you've gone through "all the rationalization" that's not a good thing, right?

I agree, I do need to go to a school with national placement. I totally agree. I'm open to living in a lot of different places. Minnesota happens to be one of those places I wouldn't mind living, so going to UMN could make sense and it might even happen. I'm definitely aiming for the T14 though and specifically Michigan.

And yea, I know rationalizing isn't necessarily a good thing. I probably chose the wrong word. I wasn't justifying it. I just walked myself through the idea of living in Minneapolis and going to school there. I realized I could do that. Maybe that's still rationalization.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Got my Minnesota package in the mail today. It looks like they never changed my early decision application to a regular decision application.

They offered me 18k a year with a 2.5 GPA stipulation.

Assuming my GI Bill covers 80% I think I'd be making 10k a year to go to law school. I doubt I get the money though. I'm going to have to figure this out.

Definitely going to have to ask about the early decision thing. I'm definitely stoked either way. I just wanted to be able to explore my options.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:08 pm

You wouldn't get the money, unfortunately. Once you get to a zero balance, that's it. You don't get to pocket the difference.

You'll also still owe a little out of pocket. The GI Bill is the payer of last resort: they'll pay 80% of whatever is left after scholarship is applied. So, say Minnesota's tuition is 40k a year: 40-18=22. 80% of 22 = 17.6. So you'd still have to come up with $4,400 a year.

I pulled that tuition number out of my ass, but you get the idea.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:15 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:You wouldn't get the money, unfortunately. Once you get to a zero balance, that's it. You don't get to pocket the difference.

You'll also still owe a little out of pocket. The GI Bill is the payer of last resort: they'll pay 80% of whatever is left after scholarship is applied. So, say Minnesota's tuition is 40k a year: 40-18=22. 80% of 22 = 17.6. So you'd still have to come up with $4,400 a year.

What do you think about the early decision thing? I'm happy about what I've been offered, and the idea of attending sounds brilliant, but I don't like the idea of being forced into it.

Also, do you think I could ask for more money? Chicago Kent just accepted me and offered me 25k a year. Would Minnesota even care?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:17 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:You wouldn't get the money, unfortunately. Once you get to a zero balance, that's it. You don't get to pocket the difference.

What do you think about the early decision thing? I'm happy about what I've been offered, and the idea of attending sounds brilliant, but I don't like the idea of being forced into it.

Also, do you think I could ask for more money? Chicago Kent just accepted me and offered me 25k a year. Would Minnesota even care?

No, they won't care about Chicago Kent. They might look at a WUSTL offer or something of that tier.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:19 pm

No idea. You'd have to follow up with them on the RD vs ED thing. Hopefully you saved some emails or something.

No idea if Minnesota would feel compelled by money from Chicago-Kent. Never hurts to try, though.

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:45 pm

minnesota rarely (i remember reading one instance) of negotiating with offers. apparently that person wanted to be in minnesota really bad and had top offers from elsewhere.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:23 am

unodostres wrote:minnesota rarely (i remember reading one instance) of negotiating with offers. apparently that person wanted to be in minnesota really bad and had top offers from elsewhere.

several years back during my cycle, they wouldn't budge me from $35K/year even though I had nearly equivalent scholarship offers at a couple T14s.

but that was when they still had like a 167/3.8 median and thought they could do whatever.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:28 pm

I'll be attending the University of Minnesota!

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:31 pm

Do u have any ties to MN

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:35 pm

louierodriguez wrote:I'll be attending the University of Minnesota!

Do you mind explaining your decision? I'm very curious.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:36 pm

james.bungles wrote:Do u have any ties to MN

I do now.

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:37 pm

So ur pting 10+ higher than your current score and you're sitting with a mediocre regional? K

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:37 pm

ya blew it

Return to “Choosing a Law School”