Stetson University College of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FloridaLaw

Re: Stetson University College of Law

Postby FloridaLaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:26 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
FloridaLaw wrote:Did they teach you that at your T6 school?

Nah it was "Corporate slave" 101.

But go on being happy that you have an extra 1.5% chance of getting the opportunity to pay a few hundred dollars for bar fees and CLE's per year.

good job corporate slave! proceed to CS 202 and keep learning how to please your masters!

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:28 pm

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:30 pm

FloridaLaw

Postby FloridaLaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:31 pm

sublime wrote:
FloridaLaw wrote:
sublime wrote:Do you want to work in Tampa/Orlando?

Are you from Tampa/Orlando?

Can you go for near free?

What are your goals?

I want to work in Tampa, and got good money from Stetson.

Are you from Tampa or have some significant ties there?

Does good money mean you will have close to no tuition payments? Does it have stips?

Are you going not because you want money, but you actually want to be a litigator at a small firm, as a PD or a DA?

Dude. this thread to talk about life at Stetson and its academic attributes,...not about numbers (a lot of threads talk about that ALL the time)

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Good thing those attributes are totally important.

FloridaLaw

Postby FloridaLaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:39 pm

hoos89 wrote:Good thing those attributes are totally important.

just keep drinking

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:43 pm

FloridaLaw wrote:

just keep drinking

When weighing the decision of whether to go to law school, and if so which one, considerations such as quality of life during law school and the academic qualities/aspects of the school should be minuscule compared to the things that actually matter: 1) how much will it cost you to attend? 2) what are the chances that your scholarship is revoked midway through? 3) what are the chances that you end up with a job that you want? 4) what are the chances that said job (or whatever job you actually end up with) will support your debt load?

You are focusing way too much on the 3 years of law school as opposed to the rest of your life that follows.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:46 pm

FloridaLaw wrote:
sublime wrote:
FloridaLaw wrote:
sublime wrote:Do you want to work in Tampa/Orlando?

Are you from Tampa/Orlando?

Can you go for near free?

What are your goals?

I want to work in Tampa, and got good money from Stetson.

Are you from Tampa or have some significant ties there?

Does good money mean you will have close to no tuition payments? Does it have stips?

Are you going not because you want money, but you actually want to be a litigator at a small firm, as a PD or a DA?

Dude. this thread to talk about life at Stetson and its academic attributes,...not about numbers (a lot of threads talk about that ALL the time)

Personally I think you and Stetson deserve each other. Sheesh.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:49 pm

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:49 pm

FloridaLaw wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
FloridaLaw wrote:I want help ONLY from people who either go to Stetson or any of the other Florida law schools. Not interested in your general stuff that you keep repeating in every thread.

1L is generally the same at all schools. The people in this thread are simply acting as a flashing yellow light, as they should. Objective data should factor more into your decision than subjective anecdotes.
But if you insist, go on Facebook to the Class of 2016 group page and message several random people about their experiences.

Why are you in this thread??

lol
It was a good suggestion.
Maybe you should go to Stetson. You're intent on being unpleasant so being unemployed and bitter will really add to that persona.

FloridaLaw

Postby FloridaLaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:51 pm

hoos89 wrote:
FloridaLaw wrote:

just keep drinking

When weighing the decision of whether to go to law school, and if so which one, considerations such as quality of life during law school and the academic qualities/aspects of the school should be minuscule compared to the things that actually matter: 1) how much will it cost you to attend? 2) what are the chances that your scholarship is revoked midway through? 3) what are the chances that you end up with a job that you want? 4) what are the chances that said job (or whatever job you actually end up with) will support your debt load?

You are focusing way too much on the 3 years of law school as opposed to the rest of your life that follows.

Yes you are right, but this thread is not for that discussion, not here, this can be discussed somewhere else. Don't lump the issues.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:51 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:55 pm

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:55 pm

FloridaLaw wrote:I would like to hear from people who go to Stetson and would like to share their feedback about the law school, or from people who go to other schools in Florida and are familiar with Stetson......

e.g Reputation, academic experiences, quality of life...careers...etc...

So far we've talked quite a bit about reputation and careers. Or was this meant to be an echo chamber?

FloridaLaw

Postby FloridaLaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:57 pm

sublime wrote:Or lets talk about bar passage rates since apparently it is only acceptable to talk about things that don't matter ITT.

During the last examination, Stetson with a rate in the seventies, was tied for fourth in the state with FIU

https://www.floridabarexam.org/__85257b ... 5e0051dff4

That was actually a relevant piece of info, instead of your normally generic stuff.

Thank you and Keep up the good work!

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:58 pm

sublime wrote:Or lets talk about bar passage rates since apparently it is only acceptable to talk about things that don't matter ITT.

During the last examination, Stetson with a rate in the seventies, was tied for fourth in the state with FIU

Stetson's rate gets boosted if you add in February takers, of which it has a lot. I assume that's mostly part-timers. Last year it did beat UF by like 1% or something (of course, it's possible UF's overall rate was higher if more of its top students left the state- only 53% of UF students are employed in FL as opposed to 80% of Stetson's). Usually Stetson is in a group that's in the high 80's along with UF, FSU, and FIU (in fact, one year FIU beat out Stetson by a point or two). Of course, none of this is any reason to pick Stetson over UF or FSU.

FloridaLaw

Postby FloridaLaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:04 pm

timbs4339 wrote:

Stetson's rate gets boosted if you add in February takers, of which it has a lot. I assume that's mostly part-timers. Last year it did beat UF by like 1% or something (of course, it's possible UF's overall rate was higher if more of its top students left the state- only 53% of UF students are employed in FL as opposed to 80% of Stetson's). Usually Stetson is in a group that's in the high 80's along with UF, FSU, and FIU (in fact, one year FIU beat out Stetson by a point or two). Of course, none of this is any reason to pick Stetson over UF or FSU.

I would pick Tampa Bay over Gainesville any day!

Lyndsc

Postby Lyndsc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:06 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:
Lyndsc wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Lyndsc wrote:- I have taken the LSAT once and (at the risk of incurring the wrath of TLS) I don't have the time or desire to take it again. My score was lowish 160's, my GPA is 3.84.
I like Stetson, I like the area, I like the focus of the school. Thoughts?

Holy missed opportunities Batman!

Specialty rankings are flame. They are marketing pitches by the school that don't translate into job prospects and are often just packaging up stuff that you can get at any other school and selling it as if it is some special program. If employers really cared that Stetson was ranked #1 in trial advocacy it wouldn't have a 60% employment score with 80% of the grads working in Florida. If being #1 in trial advocacy mattered, firms in LA and NYC would be paying big $$$ to Stetson grads to first chair trials after they get their license. Not happening.

You're giving up a definite improvement in job prospects, geographic flexibility, and money by not taking the test again. You can make time- a few hours a week to study for six months. As for "desire"- it's a standardized test. Nobody who isn't running their own test prep company has the desire to take it multiple times. You do it because each point can be worth thousands of dollars and it's the smart, rational thing to do in an America where higher ed costs are out of control.

I understand what you're saying, but it's just uninformed of you to say I can make time to study, I can't, it's simply not feasible. I work full time in the office, I work as a waitress at night and I go to school full time. The score that I got the first time was a miracle, I literally walked in and took the test after taking only two practice tests that come with your LSAC account, I didn't buy a book, I didn't take a class. I am not about to risk getting a lower score. In theory yes, I should take a year off and study, but I am a K - JD and I am self aware to know that if I took a year off I would likely lose my motivation and never return to school. The fact is not every person has the ability to take the LSAT and come out 170's for whatever reason. Good point on the trial advocacy front, I was just curious about it.

Fuck this shit. If you want to ruin your entire career by going to Stetson, Florida's premier toilet, then by all means do so. But don't try to twist it to say you have no time and making the inane statement that studying would hurt you. You're just lazy. How about this. I went to school full-time. I also commuted 2 hours each way to get to class. On the weekends and evenings, I worked a full time job. I would wake up at 4:30 am, make my commute, go to my classes, then commute back in the afternoon, and then work until around 11 pm, at which point I would study for the LSAT. I did this for 2 years. Oh, and I was battling cancer the whole time. If you want something then you're not going to let anything hold you back. If you truly wanted to accomplish your goals, you would suck it up and do what it takes to get by. If you can't take a year off or you will lose the desire and motivation to be a lawyer, then guess what, you don't really want to be a lawyer.

Don't go to law school.

Lmao, holy hostility. For starters, I came in to this thread as a bystander, I didn't create it. Stetson is not my first choice school. I saw the thread and asked for an opinion. I'm not putting this off for another year for personal reasons which you know nothing about, I cited losing motivation as a factor because I don't particularly like advertising my pity party on random internet forums as others seem to. I never said I would lose desire to become a lawyer because I never would. Cool story bro, but you should relax.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:09 pm

Lyndsc wrote:Lmao, holy hostility. For starters, I came in to this thread as a bystander, I didn't create it. Stetson is not my first choice school. I saw the thread and asked for an opinion. I'm not putting this off for another year for personal reasons which you know nothing about, I cited losing motivation as a factor because I don't particularly like advertising my pity party on random internet forums as others seem to. I never said I would lose desire to become a lawyer because I never would. Cool story bro, but you should relax.

And you should recognize that your horseshit excuses just got rekt and accept the L, bro.

Lyndsc

Postby Lyndsc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:10 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Lyndsc wrote:Lmao, holy hostility. For starters, I came in to this thread as a bystander, I didn't create it. Stetson is not my first choice school. I saw the thread and asked for an opinion. I'm not putting this off for another year for personal reasons which you know nothing about, I cited losing motivation as a factor because I don't particularly like advertising my pity party on random internet forums as others seem to. I never said I would lose desire to become a lawyer because I never would. Cool story bro, but you should relax.

And you should recognize that your horseshit excuses just got rekt and accept the L, bro.

Huh?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Lyndsc wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Huh?

Actually, nevermind. Stetson seems like a fine law school for you.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Lyndsc wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Huh?

Excuse me, he said, "And you should recognize that your horseshit excuses just got rekt and accept the L, bro."

Lyndsc

Postby Lyndsc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:13 pm

isuperserial wrote:
Lyndsc wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Huh?

Excuse me, he said, "And you should recognize that your horseshit excuses just got rekt and accept the L, bro."

Yup, no idea what that means.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:42 pm

It is very difficult to think of a personal circumstance that could make you (a) have to go to law school this year, and (b) means that if you don't go this year you'll never go at all. It's possible, and perhaps you have such a story, but usually when people come on this forum it is some form of:

I want to tell people I meet at parties I'm doing something important with my life
My parents are telling me to get a job and move out
I don't have any options for white collar post-grad work so I'm going to run to law school
I'm like super-bored at my entry-level job
I want to get into that big pile of money as fast as possible
I decided I was doing this six months ago and I'm stubborn as fuck
My ex-boyfriend who I thought I was going to marry is going to law school in Cambridge

All of these seem personal and overwhelming to the people who come on here- but they are really not. Thousands of people do it each year because of crap like this, and that's why the posters are being curt.
Last edited by timbs4339 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”