GSU vs LSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chris70123

GSU vs LSU

Postby Chris70123 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:38 am

Hello patrons of TLS,

Today I pose the question, for your many opinions, of whether I should attend GSU or LSU.

Currently LSU is essentially only books and cost of living, say 15,000 a year. Georgia State would average a steeper 30,000 a year all in all.

I plan on financing my COA partly through my savings, but also partly through loans.

I'm from Louisiana, however I would like to one day branch out of state, currently looking at Maritime law as a good friends father and another close friend are involved in its practice plus I have a pretty strong background with my major and work history.

My LSAT was a lowly 160, yes I did indeed retake, but I improved a meager single point from my initial attempt. GPA is a 3.7 in Environmental Sciences.

Thank you for your time guys.

RCSOB657

Re: GSU vs LSU

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 am

How will GA State help you with your interest in maritime law?

BTW, if you do decide to move here make sure you say anything but GSU when referring to GA State.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:24 am

LSU is the obvious choice of these two. Law school should not be an excuse to branch out when you'd be branching out to a state where you do not have ties.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:50 am

Retake, don't waste your gpa on these schools. LSU is fine if you're dying to work in a small firm/local gov in Louisiana forever. Georgia State is out based on no ties/would be a rando choice.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Yeah, LSU is clearly the better option here. That said, if you want to branch out of state one day, LSU probably won't get you much further than the Gulf Coast states like TX, MS, etc. If you're content staying in LA long term and don't want biglaw, then LSU. Otherwise, retake and go somewhere else.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:47 pm

AT9 wrote:Yeah, LSU is clearly the better option here. That said, if you want to branch out of state one day, LSU probably won't get you much further than the Gulf Coast states like TX, MS, etc. If you're content staying in LA long term and don't want biglaw, then LSU. Otherwise, retake and go somewhere else.

Can't speak for its sway in MS but LSU with its civil law curriculum and LA location would be a bad choice for someone wanting a job in TX IMO. I know some big Houston firms will consider tippy top Tulane kids but not sure any even bother with LSU.

At best, it would be very tough sledding I think

Return to “Choosing a Law School”