University of Baltimore V. Howard

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
amiriskabir

University of Baltimore V. Howard

Postby amiriskabir » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Hello everyone,

I have received a full scholarship to University of Baltimore and Howard. I'm leaning towards Howard because it is in the heart of DC, although UB isn't too far from the capital either. I would really appreciate your feedbacks.

Kratos

Re: University of Baltimore V. Howard

Postby Kratos » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:37 pm

Neither has am employment score report above 50%. In other words, you have a coin flip chance of actually becoming a lawyer after 3 years and debt. So, they both suck. And I wouldn't go to either.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Neither is a good option.
If a gun were to my head and I was African American, I'd probably go with Howard.
You're obviously a decent enough candidate to pull full rides. You should really consider retaking to pull full rides at schools that are actually worth investing your time into.

What are your numbers?
What are your career goals?

Also, what kind of stipulations are on your scholarships?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:03 am

Agree with the above. It sounds like you are interested in DC. It is one of the most saturated legal markets in the country. If you want to be a lawyer in DC you should go to a better school.

Congrats on pulling the full rides though, you must be a really good candidate and should use your impressive application to get into schools that will provide you a better chance at a decent outcome.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:37 am

I would retake in January and then reacess

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:40 am

Doesn't Howard have particularly rediculous stipulations on their scholarships, even as far as stips go? Something crazy like to keep your full ride you need to finish in the top 10% of the class?

Or am I thinking of some place else?

FSK

Postby FSK » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:46 am

I live a block from the Howard LS, and its not in the heart of DC, its really a suburb. Baltimore is really 1hour + from DC.

I wouldn't go to either under any circumstances. BigLaw DC jobs are super hard, and the rest of the chaff is largely picked up by GT/GW, leaving the 5 other DC schools with the terrible stats they have.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:58 am

If you're set on going to one of these cesspools then go to UBalt bc that's where Cedric Daniels went

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:06 am

BigZuck wrote:Doesn't Howard have particularly rediculous stipulations on their scholarships, even as far as stips go? Something crazy like to keep your full ride you need to finish in the top 10% of the class?

I am pretty sure this is right, which means you should not consider Howard at all.

Well, actually, you shouldn't consider either of them. Even on a free ride, you will have to borrow COL and will have a worthless degree and bad job prospects.

Also, the fact that Howard is in DC actually makes it less attractive. DC is one of the most saturated markets out there; it has law students from all over the country and truly not that many JD-required jobs. You will not get big law or a prestigious fed gov't gig from either of these schools. Outside of that, there is not that many traditional small law jobs available so you will have to work in politics where a JD is basically worthless.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:14 am

deadpanic wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Doesn't Howard have particularly rediculous stipulations on their scholarships, even as far as stips go? Something crazy like to keep your full ride you need to finish in the top 10% of the class?

I am pretty sure this is right, which means you should not consider Howard at all.

Well, actually, you shouldn't consider either of them. Even on a free ride, you will have to borrow COL and will have a worthless degree and bad job prospects.

Also, the fact that Howard is in DC actually makes it less attractive. DC is one of the most saturated markets out there; it has law students from all over the country and truly not that many JD-required jobs. You will not get big law or a prestigious fed gov't gig from either of these schools. Outside of that, there is not that many traditional small law jobs available so you will have to work in politics where a JD is basically worthless.

Well, a JD isnt worthless in politics, but it is a huge cost for not much initial gain. Since 1 out of 7 are lawyers in DC (last stat I heard), I was told that they like to "hire their own," they like to see a JD on the resume, even if they are not practicing law.

Still not worth the debt though

Return to “Choosing a Law School”