T14 Sticker vs. T30 Full Tuition Scholly

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Wingtip88

Re: T14 Sticker vs. T30 Full Tuition Scholly

Postby Wingtip88 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:39 am

^ Listen to BigZuck. We would need to have some rhyme and reason of why you're considering these particularly schools at the given prices. There doesn't seem to be any.

1554dp

Postby 1554dp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:47 am

Wingtip88 wrote:^ Listen to BigZuck. We would need to have some rhyme and reason of why you're considering these particularly schools at the given prices. There doesn't seem to be any.

What reasons do any 0Ls give for wanting to go to a T14 school? Because it's an amazing school that would open tons of doors? because the location is amazing? Because the professors are incredible? What reasons are good enough reasons to pick Uva at sticker over BU free?

Wingtip88

Postby Wingtip88 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:56 am

Just imagine a life with a $3,000+ monthly student loan payment, and figure what kind of jobs you'd be happy working long enough to pay off $270,000+ in student loans.

A couple of the schools you mentioned would possibly get you such a job (but not certain), and whether you'd be remotely happy working that job, or whether that job would last long enough for this whole thing to make any financial sense is dubious at best.

The other schools you mentioned you had large/full scholarships too would be reasonable if you had ties to the areas they're in and had more modest career aspirations.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:14 pm

whats your major in? why dont you get a job with a 3.6? law doesnt open that many doors. it opens one door with consistency - working for a big firm in nyc. that shit sucks. you can get other places like govt etc but its a lot more random.
health law does exist but it doesnt exist to the extent some people believe. not many big firms regularly hire to fill their health law group and its pretty niche.
but really, being a lawyer sucks. id work for 2 years to see what else is out there. i dont think you need to retake so dont lump me in with that crowd. i just think you have no ambition to be a lawyer and are just kicking the can of getting a job down the road 3 years thinking law opens a variety of career options. BU and those schools certainly dont. UVA doesnt even really open any other doors other than NYC big firm (if you clerk, guess where you go after). if you want to put off getting a real job cause you dont know what to do, good luck living with yourself and this decision halfway into your 2500 big firm billable year. chances are decent that you will walk in one day between 16-24 months and if you are lucky give your firm a 2 week notice (one of my friends after a 3k billable just walked in one day and quit on the spot - sounds crazy huh, thats what nyc biglaw will drive you to). chances are you wont have any next job lined up (you will be able to find one but quitting your biglaw job with minimal savings and still 250k in debt after a year of payments with your next 2.4k student loan payment due in one month is a hell of a lot scarier than taking some time for yourself right now with 0 debt and figuring out what you want to do with your life).
dont even retake, spend that time studying figuring out what you want to do with your life and why you cant do anything fulfilling with a 3.6 in a decent economy right now. the economy is very good right now too. i wouldnt waste 3 years of a good economy in school.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:52 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:whats your major in? why dont you get a job with a 3.6? law doesnt open that many doors. it opens one door with consistency - working for a big firm in nyc. that shit sucks. you can get other places like govt etc but its a lot more random.

It doesn't even necessarily open that door. Look at the t14 grads in 2011. Most didn't wind up in biglaw, even though a lot of them wanted it. It's kind of silly to look at the economy now and make a decision of whether to go to law school for biglaw based on the economy, because this shit changes real quick, and odds are that the economy will tank again before someone who's thinking of matriculating in 2016 graduates. (E.g. the economy was awesome when c/o 2010 and c/o 2011 matriculated, but it changed pretty quickly in 2008 when the financial crisis hit.) I mean it's likely a c/o 2019 student will get a biglaw 2L SA, but if shit tanks in early 2018, it could result in firms no-offering most of their classes, deferring start dates, and rescinding offers (like they did to c/o 2009 and c/o 2010 grads).

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:09 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:whats your major in? why dont you get a job with a 3.6? law doesnt open that many doors. it opens one door with consistency - working for a big firm in nyc. that shit sucks. you can get other places like govt etc but its a lot more random.

It doesn't even necessarily open that door. Look at the t14 grads in 2011. Most didn't wind up in biglaw, even though a lot of them wanted it. It's kind of silly to look at the economy now and make a decision of whether to go to law school for biglaw based on the economy, because this shit changes real quick, and odds are that the economy will tank again before someone who's thinking of matriculating in 2016 graduates. (E.g. the economy was awesome when c/o 2010 and c/o 2011 matriculated, but it changed pretty quickly in 2008 when the financial crisis hit.) I mean it's likely a c/o 2019 student will get a biglaw 2L SA, but if shit tanks in early 2018, it could result in firms no-offering most of their classes, deferring start dates, and rescinding offers (like they did to c/o 2009 and c/o 2010 grads).

I agree whole heartedly. Which is why my advice was to take advantage of the current hot economy. Conventional wisdom is to wait out recessions in school and pad credentials and work during boom economies. Theyre are studies that say graduating in a recession can set your career back 10+ years. I don't know why anyone graduating into this economy would roll the dice at hoping the economy isnt in a recession in 3-4 years. Shit is ludicrous given what we've lived through.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”