Online / Part-time? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Grafixx01

New

Online / Part-time?

Post by Grafixx01 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:06 pm

Ok, so I'm looking at a career change from IT to law. I was looking at going part-time but being 34, I'm not too sure since it seems that it'll take like 4-6 years to finish the JD. I'm also not sure if there are any schools that are reputable and offer some of the classes online, only asking because I work 40+hrs a week and it's not feasible to just stop working when I have to support the family.

Can anyone help me? Give me guidance? Etc...

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

rwhyAn

Bronze

Re: Online / Part-time?

Post by rwhyAn » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:29 pm

William Mitchell is the only accredited law school with an online JD program, which will enroll its first online class in Spring 2015. There are plenty of schools that have part-time evening programs, but I wouldn't be able to tell you without knowing your location.

Grafixx01

New

Post by Grafixx01 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:51 pm

I am currently in West Virginia about 10 miles south of Morgantown.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:57 pm

Why do you want to leave IT?
You get paid 80k to youtube and reddit all day.
At least that's what I did as a DBA lol.
Missed the good life...

Grafixx01

New

Post by Grafixx01 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:09 pm

I don't make nearly that much. It for me has just become stagnant, even with certs. I always thought about doing law so I figure I should switch because I am also bored doing IT. And NO, I can't sit on YouTube and reddit all day. I actually work!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:12 pm

I made this switch at about the same age as you (several years ago) for essentially the same reason. I had the luxury of going full-time though. I'm not sure I would do it again, and I had a pretty good result. Not to say I don't like what I do, but it is a lot of time, I don't see my family as much as I would, the pay is not much better, you have a limited shelf-life at most of the jobs that pay well, and the work is more stressful.

Have you thought about moving to a region or employer where you could make more money?

Law is not boring, but it is lots more work than most careers in IT (except for a startup).

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:43 pm

rwhyAn wrote:William Mitchell is the only accredited law school with an online JD program, which will enroll its first online class in Spring 2015. There are plenty of schools that have part-time evening programs, but I wouldn't be able to tell you without knowing your location.
the only "accredited" law "school"

Grafixx01

New

Post by Grafixx01 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:22 pm

Family wants to move and so do I but everything I apply for I get denied for. Nobody will give me valid reasons and just keep telling me the same thing, over and over. I have gotten numerous cents, to include CISSP. I am currently working on others but I just figure with the fact that I seem to be stagnant for a few years now, maybe a change would be better for my family and myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”