Scary Scary Hail Mary Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

AReasonableMan

Gold

Re: Scary Scary Hail Mary

Post by AReasonableMan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:02 pm

It's not random as to where the "one-percent" come from. At some schools, a majority wind up in the one-percent. At others, not a single one does. The article supports this.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:11 pm

I need to print this off for my parents. They just don't get it.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:42 pm

Dirigo wrote:I need to print this off for my parents. They just don't get it.
Really? What do your parents say?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:53 pm

Seoulless wrote:
Just typical boomerisms about how all lawyers are successful.
& Not understanding my debt aversion. "You've got to spend money to make money!"
& Thinking the local TTT is a good school with good job prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:55 pm

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:58 pm

Nice to see LST with a shoutout

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:05 pm

Dirigo wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
Just typical boomerisms about how all lawyers are successful.
& Not understanding my debt aversion. "You've got to spend money to make money!"
& Thinking the local TTT is a good school with good job prospects.
So HYS is also a good bet in their eyes?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Seoulless wrote: So HYS is also a good bet in their eyes?
My mom has seen Legally Blonde so yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:04 am

Dirigo wrote:
Seoulless wrote: So HYS is also a good bet in their eyes?
My mom has seen Legally Blonde so yes.
Ha! That's funny on so many levels.

Honestly though it seems like your parents aren't so bad. There are people whose parents insist they go to the local ttt.

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:43 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMike80

New

Post by MagicMike80 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:21 pm

The variable you cannot account for or predict in choosing a law school is how well you are actually going to do once you get there. Could be top 10% at local TTT and be fine. Could pay a lot for a big name school, not do well, and either not have options or not have good ones. Go somewhere you can be moderately sure of killing it. Dropping 300k and being at the bottom of the class just doesn't make sense.

DavidConeSplitter

Silver

Post by DavidConeSplitter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:25 pm

"Where do you want to go to law school?"

TCR is ~1975

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:37 pm

MagicMike80 wrote:The variable you cannot account for or predict in choosing a law school is how well you are actually going to do once you get there. Could be top 10% at local TTT and be fine. Could pay a lot for a big name school, not do well, and either not have options or not have good ones. Go somewhere you can be moderately sure of killing it. Dropping 300k and being at the bottom of the class just doesn't make sense.
In making decisions, it's best to assume median.
TTT or not, top 10% is 90% unlikely. Law students are hardworking no matter the school, so going to a lesser school is by no means a cakewalk.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Dirigo wrote:
MagicMike80 wrote:The variable you cannot account for or predict in choosing a law school is how well you are actually going to do once you get there. Could be top 10% at local TTT and be fine. Could pay a lot for a big name school, not do well, and either not have options or not have good ones. Go somewhere you can be moderately sure of killing it. Dropping 300k and being at the bottom of the class just doesn't make sense.
TTT or not, top 10% is 90% unlikely. Law students are hardworking no matter the school, so going to a lesser school is by no means a cakewalk.
This is groupthink. It's unlikely, not 90 percent unlikely. I'd bet my salary every year that median at Georgetown pulls top quarter at any TTT. Seriously if you know someone not on drugs or deeply depressed with a 168 plus at a TTT now or at any point please PM me. I will sign a contract with witnesses in a jurisdiction where gambling is legal. Top quarter, 1:1 payout.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:01 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
This is groupthink. It's unlikely, not 90 percent unlikely. I'd bet my salary every year that median at Georgetown pulls top quarter at any TTT. Seriously if you know someone not on drugs or deeply depressed with a 168 plus at a TTT now or at any point please PM me. I will sign a contract with witnesses in a jurisdiction where gambling is legal. Top quarter, 1:1 payout.
No one with a 168+, regardless of uGPA, is at a TTT. That's why god created WUSTL.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:08 pm

transferror wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
No one with a 168+, regardless of uGPA, is at a TTT. That's why god created WUSTL.
False. 169. I guess it's technically a lower TT though (ranking 80-100). Also, not doing well and considering dropping out. Luckily has very little debt.
A lot of people get really tied to regionals and think they'll do fine. A ton of scholly money is also very hard to turn down.

So long as you're not big into technicalities, I'll see you in Vegas, Reasonable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:20 am

DavidConeSplitter wrote:"Where do you want to go to law school?"

TCR is ~1975
:lol:

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Dirigo wrote:False. 169. I guess it's technically a lower TT though (ranking 80-100). Also, not doing well and considering dropping out. Luckily has very little debt.
A lot of people get really tied to regionals and think they'll do fine. A ton of scholly money is also very hard to turn down.

So long as you're not big into technicalities, I'll see you in Vegas, Reasonable.
Obvi I wasn't being literal. I realize these ppl exist, but the sample size is too small. I only know 1 person at a true TTT with an LSAT above 169, and it's because he already had a full-time job, family, in his mid 30s, etc. He just got a JD because he'll be drawing pension by age 42 and thinks it would be a cool second career. I imagine that most students with a 168+ at the local TTT are slightly older, non-traditional, have families that geographically constrain their options, are looking for a career shift, etc., making it especially hard to gauge their successes/failures as predictive measures.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:11 pm

My offer was for going in. Now you're like a racehorse with a broken leg. You looked like a killer with great stride but now you're damaged goods, and going to end up in a Tokyo steakhouse next to asparagus and mashed potatoes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”