Public Interest Programs and LRAP

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ms4life

Public Interest Programs and LRAP

Postby Ms4life » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:58 pm

Did a search and couldn't really find anything, but I'm wondering, in the past, which schools have had the best Public Interest employment rates, avg. salary, and which has the most generous LRAP programs?

Thanks!

Mal Reynolds

Re: Public Interest Programs and LRAP

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Any school that would accept your LSAT score is one that isn't worth attending.

Ms4life

Postby Ms4life » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Any school that would accept your LSAT score is one that isn't worth attending.

Definitely the most helpful advice I've ever received

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:09 pm

Ms4life wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Any school that would accept your LSAT score is one that isn't worth attending.

Definitely the most helpful advice I've ever received

You're unintentionally correct.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:19 pm

Highest average salary + public interest doesn't really compute to me. If you care about salary then don't go PI IMO. I also don't know if you can talk about PI employment rates, lots of places don't really seem to care about grades or school (just commitment to the cause) and so few people opt into that line of work that it's different than big law placement and hard to quantify. If you can't go to a tippy top school then probably going to your state flagship on a full ride is your best option. Hard to talk about it generally though. I also don't know much about PI hiring other than what I have gleaned on here, I'm sure there are people more qualified than me to help you out.

Hopefully you can find what you're looking for here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=211835

Definitely retake the lsat

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Mal, your whole "I'm helpful, not an asshole" defense would be a lot more plausible if you could just kind of contain yourself every once in a while.

OP, there's no hard and fast answer for your questions. On your LRAP question, I compiled a list of LRAP programs last summer with summaries of what they cover. There's tons of information out there on TLS about public interest salaries and what schools you should go to if you want to do PI/government. This isn't a "do your own damn research" thing as much as that answers will vary widely based on what you actually want to do.
Last edited by twenty on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ms4life

Postby Ms4life » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:23 pm

BigZuck wrote:Highest average salary + public interest doesn't really compute to me. If you care about salary then don't go PI IMO. I also don't know if you can talk about PI employment rates, lots of places don't really seem to care about grades or school (just commitment to the cause) and so few people opt into that line of work that it's different than big law placement and hard to quantify. If you can't go to a tippy top school then probably going to your state flagship on a full ride is your best option. Hard to talk about it generally though. I also don't know much about PI hiring other than what I have gleaned on here, I'm sure there are people more qualified than me to help you out.

I understand that you guys see my post on the waiters thread yesterday, but it was a typo that I never corrected. I received a 168, not 158, and my gpa is 3.86

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Ms4life wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Highest average salary + public interest doesn't really compute to me. If you care about salary then don't go PI IMO. I also don't know if you can talk about PI employment rates, lots of places don't really seem to care about grades or school (just commitment to the cause) and so few people opt into that line of work that it's different than big law placement and hard to quantify. If you can't go to a tippy top school then probably going to your state flagship on a full ride is your best option. Hard to talk about it generally though. I also don't know much about PI hiring other than what I have gleaned on here, I'm sure there are people more qualified than me to help you out.

Hopefully you can find what you're looking for here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=211835

I understand that you guys see my post on the waiters thread yesterday, but it was a typo that I never corrected. I received a 168, not 158, and my gpa is 3.86

lol

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:25 pm

twenty wrote:Mal, your whole "I'm helpful, not an asshole" defense would be a lot more plausible if you could just kind of contain yourself every once in a while.

Can you tell me a little more about your biglaw hiring knowledge?

Ms4life

Postby Ms4life » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Ms4life wrote:

lol

Sorry to let you down, Mal. My score isn't as terrible as you thought.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Ms4life wrote:I received a 168

Ms4life wrote:my gpa is 3.86

In that case:
BigZuck wrote:Definitely retake the lsat

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:29 pm

Should have gone with 178.

Ms4life

Postby Ms4life » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Ms4life wrote:I received a 168

Ms4life wrote:my gpa is 3.86

In that case:
BigZuck wrote:Definitely retake the lsat

Already registered, but I'm trying to get some advice from people that have already taken this route or have sufficient knowledge to answer the question.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:Highest average salary + public interest doesn't really compute to me. If you care about salary then don't go PI IMO.

This is getting lost in the shuffle and bears repeating.

Ms4life

Postby Ms4life » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Should have gone with 178.

One can only dream to be as smart as you, Mal.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:31 pm

already taken this route

oshit out of here.

Ms4life

Postby Ms4life » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:33 pm

twenty wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Highest average salary + public interest doesn't really compute to me. If you care about salary then don't go PI IMO.

I guess the question is difficult/complicated to answer, as PI salary is volatile unlike BigLaw. I guess I'm just trying to get some feedback from individuals who have already done sufficient research, assuming someone has already asked this same question.

Ms4life

Postby Ms4life » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 pm

twenty wrote:
already taken this route

oshit out of here.

Thanks for the link to your write-up!

politics89

Postby politics89 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:53 pm

Ms4life wrote:
twenty wrote:

I guess the question is difficult/complicated to answer, as PI salary is volatile unlike BigLaw. I guess I'm just trying to get some feedback from individuals who have already done sufficient research, assuming someone has already asked this same question.

I wouldn't try to define best PI program by salary, I would define it as people actually getting the jobs they want. If you're curious look at people working where you want to and see where they went to school.

Ms4life

Postby Ms4life » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:19 pm

politics89 wrote:
Ms4life wrote:
twenty wrote:

I wouldn't try to define best PI program by salary, I would define it as people actually getting the jobs they want. If you're curious look at people working where you want to and see where they went to school.

Thank you, that's really great advice. Should've thought of that before.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Ms4life wrote:

A retake is still not a bad idea.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”