Sports Law at Marquette or Tulane Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bubbles1012

Bronze

Re: Sports Law at Marquette or Tulane

Post by Bubbles1012 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:35 am

I am a New Orleanian and if you are okay with living in New Orleans (and it's a great place to live), about 80% of the Proseakur office in NOLA has a JD from either Tulane or Loyno. And the partner at the office got his BA from Tulane (jd from Loyno). It's the same way at any of the major law firms that have offices in the 504. This is all easily verifiable online. Considering tulane is a much better school than loyola your outcomes from tulane if you wish to remain local and do well may not be as terrible as some say.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:46 am

Bubbles1012 wrote:I am a New Orleanian and if you are okay with living in New Orleans (and it's a great place to live), about 80% of the Proseakur office in NOLA has a JD from either Tulane or Loyno. And the partner at the office got his BA from Tulane (jd from Loyno). It's the same way at any of the major law firms that have offices in the 504. This is all easily verifiable online. Considering tulane is a much better school than loyola your outcomes from tulane if you wish to remain local and do well may not be as terrible as some say.
Disclaimer: Killing it in 1L, bidding smartly, and being a good interviewer make it likely you will get an offer or even multiple offers. But the odds of getting an offer at any given firm are very low, especially before 1L. You have to appreciate all the different things that have to go right. There's also not even a guarantee you will get the sports practice after you get a post-summer offer.

What people were saying is you should go to a better law school where it's likely you'll get ANY JOB, hope to get a particular firm and hope to get your choice practice group. Even if you do your best and do everything right, you can't gamble your future on a twenty-minute conversation. The first syllable (con) means with. The person at the other end of the table is key as well. They have their own unique personality, may be tired by the time you interview, or you might remind them of the guy who stole their girlfriend in high school. The reason why people are telling you to go to better schools is that there you will have several dozen chances, not one.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:28 am

Read something about Proskaur and only want to comment that mentioning entertainment or sports law to a partner is likely a turn off.. it suggests you're excited about something you won't experience... Proskaur is like any other firm.. it provides services and law is law wherever you go... you won't get to hang out with Lady Gaga or some famous QB.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:21 am

Bubbles1012 wrote:I am a New Orleanian and if you are okay with living in New Orleans (and it's a great place to live), about 80% of the Proseakur office in NOLA has a JD from either Tulane or Loyno. And the partner at the office got his BA from Tulane (jd from Loyno). It's the same way at any of the major law firms that have offices in the 504. This is all easily verifiable online. Considering tulane is a much better school than loyola your outcomes from tulane if you wish to remain local and do well may not be as terrible as some say.
Also easily verifiable online is the fact that the "office" only has 1 partner and 12 attorneys total, and they are all doing ERISA/labor & employment and none are part of the sports law practice. Not only does this not help OP's (naive) goals, it also demonstrates how small the market is -- hitting up the handful of large firms that hire an associate every other year or so is not something to bank on.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:38 am

Lol at sports law. Just lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:19 am

Adam Silver went to uchicago

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:31 pm

A couple of quick points...

You should pretty much ignore these "specializations" that schools offer. Job prospects should be your primary focus.

Do you know what "sports law" is? What kind of work do you think you'll be doing? So many "specializations" that people go into law school for as 0Ls (sports law, entertainment law, international law, etc.) are unicorns. I literally do not know a single graduate of my law school class who does any of those specialties. I'm sure there are a couple, but I'd anticipate these types of jobs are not what 0Ls have in mind when entering law school.

More importantly, are you happy being a lawyer even if its not in sports law? Because if you can't land something in that arena, you'll still need to make a living. Are you sure law is the path you want to go down? Because based on what you've said here, it doesn't seem like you know what you're getting into.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”