university of Washington at cost Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
farfromthetree

New

Re: university of Washington at cost

Post by farfromthetree » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:14 am

BigZuck wrote:
farfromthetree wrote:
Brut wrote:
Maple90 wrote:Given that UW gives away very little in terms if scholarship, the majority of students there are in a similar situation. Is there any scenario where UW makes sense at this price, or are most of those attending just shooting themselves in the foot?
some small percentage are getting that scholly $$$ or outside aid
some small percentage have rich mommies and daddies who are okay with throwing away six figures (or have money themselves)
some small percentage will actually get biglaw or some other lucrative employment and have somewhat of a chance of paying off that debt
some small percentage will drop out or transfer to a school that gives them better bl+fc chances
some small percentage will manage to pslf the debt away
some small percentage have military benis or an employer footing the bill
some small percentage will marry rich
everyone else is getting screwed
Option number 2 but change parents with grandparents. My rich grandparents will pay for any amount of education but won't give me money for anything else. Is UW at fill ride a bad idea?
Your grandparents are kind of odd. They don't want to buy you something nicer than a UW law degree?

If my grandparents were willing to pay for any school in the country I certainly wouldn't spend it on UW, I'd rather put it toward a top school. Unless maybe I was deadset on working at a small firm/local government gig in Washington and I had a blatant disregard for their money.
166/3.56, 3 attempts, no more retakes. I've been out of UG for 3 years, 4 if I started next Fall. I worked as a legal assistant for a year, paralegal for another year, and now work at a non-profit, will be there for a year in another month. I want to work in the PNW, not interested in biglaw, very interested in anything that can get me in the court room, so looking towards PD or other forms of criminal defense. Yes, I have amazing grandparents but I'm not smart enough to get better than UW for my personal goals... still a bad idea? I've dabbled with the idea of trying to become a psychoanalyst.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:24 am

UW is just such a weird school. They insist on being stoopid expensive for a school that is super regional, and not an amazingly strong regional at that. It's really no better than, say, the University of Houston. But they insist on charging these outrageous prices.

I mean, it's your life and I can't tell you how to feel about their money. I probably wouldn't do it. But, I acknowledge that UW is basically the only game in town. And they know that, and they use that to milk every last cent out of their students. If I was deadset on being a litigator in Washington I would definitely want to go to UW. But, I'd feel bad about spending over 100K to go there. Objectively speaking, it's not worth that.

That's a decision for you to make, not sure that anonymous E-strangers can help you there.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:
farfromthetree wrote:
Brut wrote:
Maple90 wrote:Given that UW gives away very little in terms if scholarship, the majority of students there are in a similar situation. Is there any scenario where UW makes sense at this price, or are most of those attending just shooting themselves in the foot?
some small percentage are getting that scholly $$$ or outside aid
some small percentage have rich mommies and daddies who are okay with throwing away six figures (or have money themselves)
some small percentage will actually get biglaw or some other lucrative employment and have somewhat of a chance of paying off that debt
some small percentage will drop out or transfer to a school that gives them better bl+fc chances
some small percentage will manage to pslf the debt away
some small percentage have military benis or an employer footing the bill
some small percentage will marry rich
everyone else is getting screwed
Option number 2 but change parents with grandparents. My rich grandparents will pay for any amount of education but won't give me money for anything else. Is UW at fill ride a bad idea?
Your grandparents are kind of odd. They don't want to buy you something nicer than a UW law degree?
Its not that odd when you consider the pedestal higher education is placed on. Really there are way better investments out there like a house but I'm not shocked at all people earmark money for their kids or grandkids for education and won't just hand them a check for that amount.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”