Vandy ($$) vs. Penn ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BruceWayne

Gold

Re: Vandy ($$) vs. Penn ($$)

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:37 pm

It never hurts to try at the very least.

One important question I forgot to ask: what exactly do you mean by "prestigious p.i.?" That's pretty important to your questions. For one thing, there isn't a lot of "prestigious p.i." in Atlanta. And of that is there, they won't care which of the two you go to. P.I. , for the most part, doesn't work like that.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:45 pm

Penn. /thread

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:48 pm

Maybe I should rephrase. I mean Skadden Fellow level PI work, like National Employment Law Project, SPLC, etc. I also have said though that I haven't completely ruled out biglaw, but if I went that route I'd prefer to be in Atlanta.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:54 pm

wlee1220 wrote:Maybe I should rephrase. I mean Skadden Fellow level PI work, like National Employment Law Project, SPLC, etc. I also have said though that I haven't completely ruled out biglaw, but if I went that route I'd prefer to be in Atlanta.
You are looking at unicorn jobs as far as I can tell. Are you sure you are being realistic?
Does SPLC hire directly from law school?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm

wlee1220 wrote:Maybe I should rephrase. I mean Skadden Fellow level PI work, like National Employment Law Project, SPLC, etc. I also have said though that I haven't completely ruled out biglaw, but if I went that route I'd prefer to be in Atlanta.

Honestly then it's not going to make a difference. Penn will give you a better shot at non Atlanta biglaw--which is a big deal--but it seems like all of your interests/preferences lie elsewhere. Try to get more money at Vandy. But if you can't you should probably go with Penn. But understand the difference is going to come into play for jobs that it seems like you aren't focused on. Penn will do you much better for NYC biglaw.

I also agree with the "unicorn jobs" comment. The thing about those types of jobs is that they are extremely grade focused--more so than school focused assuming you aren't talking Harvard etc. You have to pull fabulous grades to get those jobs. Those grade requirements won't be different from Penn or Vandy. It should be noted that these places are also huge on demonstrated interest. That can prob make up for grades to an extent.

You are looking at unicorn jobs as far as I can tell. Are you sure you are being realistic?

I've seen postings for Birmingham before. I can't recall if I've seen Atlanta postings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:03 pm

NYSprague wrote:
Yea I probably need to get my head out the fucking clouds somewhat. I know NELP occasionally hires right out of law school but I'm pretty sure SPLC doesn't. That's also the reason I haven't ruled out biglaw and decided to just gun for PI.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Penn /thread

Why is this still being discussed? BTW, congrats OP.

igo2northwestern

Bronze

Post by igo2northwestern » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:12 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
igo2northwestern wrote:
WheatThins wrote:
igo2northwestern wrote:Re: getting back to Atlanta, Penn should give you as good if not better opportunities.
Do you have a basis for this knowledge? Because it is simply wrong.
0 basis, all assumption. Feel free to substantiate what you said though, since you're more informed.

--Do you work in Atlanta?
No, he just finished 1L at WUSTL.
Well......I'm glad there are others pushing the Penn ticket then, haha :D. Good luck OP on your decision and maybe getting some more $ from Vandy. Congrats on getting Penn.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:29 pm

I'll be honest: I assume that regardless of the unicorns he is chasing as a 0L, the OP will be a corporate NYC big law drone like everyone else. For that reason, it's gotta be Penn here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:42 pm

BigZuck wrote:I'll be honest: I assume that regardless of the unicorns he is chasing as a 0L, the OP will be a corporate NYC big law drone like everyone else. For that reason, it's gotta be Penn here.
Yeah, he is going to have 6 figures of debt.
I'm just concerned OP keeps talking about his need to return to Atlanta. He just can't guarantee that he will get a job in Atlanta.

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:49 pm

NYSprague wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I'll be honest: I assume that regardless of the unicorns he is chasing as a 0L, the OP will be a corporate NYC big law drone like everyone else. For that reason, it's gotta be Penn here.
I'm just concerned OP keeps talking about his need to return to Atlanta. He just can't guarantee that he will get a job in Atlanta.
Most of my desire to return to Atlanta comes from my SO's desire to return to Atlanta and my desire to get out the Philly area. But I'm pretty much set on Penn now. Thanks for the responses everyone.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:53 pm

wlee1220 wrote:
NYSprague wrote:
Most of my desire to return to Atlanta comes from my SO's desire to return to Atlanta and my desire to get out the Philly area. But I'm pretty much set on Penn now. Thanks for the responses everyone.
Congrats.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:59 pm

Considering the level of debt OP is looking at and the fact that OP's preferred PI jobs are harder to get than COA clerkships, you're almost certainly right that OP will attempt to become a biglaw drone. The problem is that at Vanderbilt OP has less than a 50% chance of being offered a job as a biglaw drone. Chances are much better at Penn.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”