Adopt-A-State completed! Thanks everyone!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
theotherone823

Bronze

Re: TLS Adopt-A-State (ONLY 13 LEFT UNCLAIMED!!)

Postby theotherone823 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:48 pm

BVest wrote:
theotherone823 wrote:I'll do Vermont

I don't like to stereotype, but I could have guessed that based solely on name and avatar.

Ha what can I say, don't like to disappoint.

dowu

Platinum

Re: TLS Adopt-A-State (ONLY 12 LEFT UNCLAIMED!!)

Postby dowu » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:50 pm

I promise I'll do mine soon.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Re: TLS adopt-a-state week

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:18 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:PS: Ricky Bobby, you did the employment sentence in the intro paragraph, but you forgot to add the employment and costs sections, I did that for you.

They already had "placement stats" and "tuition" sections, so I just incorporated the new data into the existing sections. I went back and took out the extraneous data. Thanks for the double-check, though. :D

oxie

Bronze

Postby oxie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:38 pm

Massachusetts is done!

Couldn't find employment stats for Massachusetts School of Law since it's not ABA accredited, but I added cost info and the entry already had a good amount of discussion why the lack of accreditation is problematic.

Nova

Platinum

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:39 pm

dowu wrote:I promise I'll do mine soon.

HRomanus

Silver

Postby HRomanus » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:57 pm

From the marketing piece encyclopedia article: "In 2013, U.S. News & World Report ranked Richardson amongst the nation's top law schools at 80th." It really takes some Cooley word acrobatics to basically define "top" as "not last."

reasonable person

Bronze

Postby reasonable person » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Idea:
Shouldn't we also include fed clerk + big firm numbers, as well as percent of school funded positions?

wingding

Bronze

Postby wingding » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:12 pm

reasonable person wrote:Idea:
Shouldn't we also include fed clerk + big firm numbers, as well as percent of school funded positions?

Too difficult to explain. The underemployment score is a simpler idea to convey.

I stated the number of students that did not get a LT FT JD required job (44%), as well as the percentage of unemployed

Tanicius

Gold

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:35 pm

Too difficult to explain. The underemployment score is a simpler idea to convey.

What if someone had a code to create a visual graph of employment figures and used the same type of graph for every law school?

Alternatively, could you rip the visual aids from LST? I highly doubt they would have a problem with it, and it's fair use either way.

Nucky

Silver

Postby Nucky » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:58 pm

Skipped to page 6 after reading the OP. This is a great idea. Well done fellow TLSers.

nightcheese

New

Postby nightcheese » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:39 pm

The TTTT's have been taken care of! I think I'm calling it a night. Here's what VA looks like at the moment, in case anyone out there wants to assist me with the remaining five:

Appalachian
GMU
Liberty
Regent
Richmond
UVA
W&L
W&M

Nucky

Silver

Postby Nucky » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:12 pm

nightcheese wrote:The TTTT's have been taken care of! I think I'm calling it a night. Here's what VA looks like at the moment, in case anyone out there wants to assist me with the remaining five:

Appalachian
GMU
Liberty
Regent
Richmond
UVA
W&L
W&M

I think we can leave the T14 and possibly W&M alone. The rest are definitely fair game. Well done though!

nightcheese

New

Postby nightcheese » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:03 am

Nucky wrote:
nightcheese wrote:The TTTT's have been taken care of! I think I'm calling it a night. Here's what VA looks like at the moment, in case anyone out there wants to assist me with the remaining five:

Appalachian
GMU
Liberty
Regent
Richmond
UVA
W&L
W&M

I think we can leave the T14 and possibly W&M alone. The rest are definitely fair game. Well done though!

Though I swore off Wikipedia for the rest of the night, I decided to check and, as I expected, UVA's page is pretty thorough as is. And their employment stats are about the best you're gonna find, so you've got a point there about leaving UVA out.

As for W&M, would it be worth pointing out that ~20% of the Class of 2013's full-time, long-term, JD-required jobs are school-funded? If you exclude those, that leaves their employment rate at only 55.8%.

Nucky

Silver

Postby Nucky » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:26 am

nightcheese wrote:
Nucky wrote:

Appalachian
GMU
Liberty
Regent
Richmond
UVA
W&L
W&M

Though I swore off Wikipedia for the rest of the night, I decided to check and, as I expected, UVA's page is pretty thorough as is. And their employment stats are about the best you're gonna find, so you've got a point there about leaving UVA out.

As for W&M, would it be worth pointing out that ~20% of the Class of 2013's full-time, long-term, JD-required jobs are school-funded? If you exclude those, that leaves their employment rate at only 55.8%.

Didn't know that. That's Emory-esque. I concede to your point.

banjo

Silver

Postby banjo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:57 am

I did UNLV (Boyd School of Law). So if no one has adopted Nevada yet, I volunteer!

ARemKit

New

Postby ARemKit » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:05 am

I'll do Ohio.

nightcheese

New

Postby nightcheese » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:51 am

Nucky wrote:
nightcheese wrote:
Nucky wrote:

Appalachian
GMU
Liberty
Regent
Richmond
UVA
W&L
W&M

Didn't know that. That's Emory-esque. I concede to your point.

I was really surprised about W&M's stats. I did a little more digging on LST, and it looks like the school has quite a story:

Class of 2009 had only 3% unemployment. The vast majority of the employed grads were full-time attorneys. All was sunshine, rainbows and kittens. Then, the class of 2010's unemployment rate rose to 13%, and it continued to rise. 20% of the class of 2011 was unemployed 9 months after graduation. When the 2012 USNWR rankings were released, W&M dropped from #27 to #35.

W&M started adding school-funded jobs. The class of 2012's unemployment rate changed significantly, dropping back down to 5%. The school's ranking went up to #33 in 2013. Now it's #24, which appears to be its highest ranking ever.

Classic case of a school fudging its employment stats to get its ranking back. Damn, W&M, what happened? And to think I had considered applying to you! :(

Sorry I went off on a bit of a tangent just now, but my tangent kinda proves the point of this thread: research is important. Even the schools with old prestige are pulling stunts worthy of TTTT's.

scoobysnax

Bronze

Postby scoobysnax » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 am

Maryland is done!

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:59 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dowu

Platinum

Postby dowu » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:10 pm

:shock:
Last edited by dowu on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:43 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:Brut, got some more states done. Nevada, both Dakotas, Utah, and Wyoming are now finished as well.

Also, I do think we need to do the T14s as well guys. I know they're much better than the others, but we need to standardize it so that every ABA accredited school has the same information to make it easier for potential students to research and so some schools don't think we're singling them out and delete what we've done.

Yea idk why people assumed not to do the T14.

Platinum

Postby 03152016 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:14 pm

awesome mg you're gunning 4 thread mvp
i'm buried in work 2day but tonight i'm gonna try to wrap up as many states as i can
time to put this baby to bed

ManoftheHour

Gold

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Brut wrote:awesome mg you're gunning 4 thread mvp
i'm buried in work 2day but tonight i'm gonna try to wrap up as many states as i can
time to put this baby to bed

Wth...CA should count as 10 states.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Postby jenesaislaw » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Tanicius wrote:

What if someone had a code to create a visual graph of employment figures and used the same type of graph for every law school?

Alternatively, could you rip the visual aids from LST? I highly doubt they would have a problem with it, and it's fair use either way.

Fair use doesn't help, but you can use visual aids from LST on Wikipedia because I give you all permission.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?