Reapply? Duke? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gerrydawg

Bronze

Reapply? Duke?

Post by gerrydawg » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:05 am

Just took LSAT for last time, got a 173 (10pts higher than previous). Got into Duke with $$$ (pretty much 1/2 tuition). Waiting to hear back from other schools I got waitlisted/rejected from. Do you think it would make more sense to reapply with that score? I didn't apply to HYS Columbia this cycle becuase of my much lower LSAT, and I feel like I may be at an advantage with that score at the beginning of a cycle when all of the schools have full scholarship money/open seats. Don't think I'd be able to get a better deal out of Duke- am I just being greedy?

transferror

Silver

Re: Reapply? Duke?

Post by transferror » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:10 am

GPA? Goals? Location preference?

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:13 am

I would probably reapply if Duke is offering less than 100K, unless Duke is your absolute dream school or something (even then, negotiate). Such a huge LSAT increase and a decent GPA will set you up nicely for a new cycle. Apply to every T14 in Sept - good luck!

gerrydawg

Bronze

Post by gerrydawg » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:30 am

transferror wrote:GPA? Goals? Location preference?
GPA: 3.7
Goals: Ideally, federal prosecutor/AUSA- also interested in clerking, biglaw before gov't
Location Pref: NY or DC

Just under 100K from Duke.

life2323

New

Post by life2323 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:58 am

reaapply period.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:05 am

life2323 wrote:reaapply period.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:22 am

jk148706 wrote:
+1. With a 3.7/172, you should get multiple scholarship offers in the T14 and play them against one another for leverage. You're also in the running for CCN.

haileythorpe

New

Post by haileythorpe » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:27 am

Last edited by haileythorpe on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chekhov'sGun

Bronze

Post by Chekhov'sGun » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:41 am

transferror wrote:+1. With a 3.7/172, you should get multiple scholarship offers in the T14 and play them against one another for leverage. You're also in the running for CCN.
More than that, you should could get some nice money from CCN. Congrats on the big increase!
Last edited by Chekhov'sGun on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:44 am

gerrydawg wrote:Just took LSAT for last time, got a 173 (10pts higher than previous). Got into Duke with $$$ (pretty much 1/2 tuition). Waiting to hear back from other schools I got waitlisted/rejected from. Do you think it would make more sense to reapply with that score? I didn't apply to HYS Columbia this cycle becuase of my much lower LSAT, and I feel like I may be at an advantage with that score at the beginning of a cycle when all of the schools have full scholarship money/open seats. Don't think I'd be able to get a better deal out of Duke- am I just being greedy?
Hey, see if you can boost it. It's a lot harder to do without other offers, but when I applied last admissions cycle I was able to coax another $12,500 out of Duke before I ever showed them another aid offer (I didn't have them in hand yet). I did it by writing a letter expressing continued interest and a willingness to go.

See if it's possible, whether or not you decide to reapply next cycle (which I think will open up a lot of doors for you and is a solid option). You're likely to get even more if you apply next cycle (Duke increased the offer a second time after I had more aid offers in hand, which you'll certainly have with a 173).

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:18 am

Reapply.

If you have the GPA to get into T14s with a ~163, you owe it to yourself to reapply early on in the next cycle.

gerrydawg

Bronze

Post by gerrydawg » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:14 pm

I've done a ton of research over this past week, fielded offers from other schools, and really did a deep dive into employment statistics and cost of attendance at schools I was considering. In short, I don't think there's a place I'd rather be than Duke. Why?

- consistently places in top 7 of NLJ 250 firms (49% of grads get a job at one of the 250 biggest firms)
- consistently ranks 4 or 5 in the percentage of graduates that get federal clerkships (US News)
- CoA is the 3rd lowest of any T14 (cheapest private school) and they're giving me a ton of money
- 60% of students are on a journal (5th most in T14)

Crunching the numbers and looking at my financial situation pretty much clinched it for me. I'm totally content.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:24 pm

gerrydawg wrote:I've done a ton of research over this past week, fielded offers from other schools, and really did a deep dive into employment statistics and cost of attendance at schools I was considering. In short, I don't think there's a place I'd rather be than Duke. Why?

- consistently places in top 7 of NLJ 250 firms (49% of grads get a job at one of the 250 biggest firms)
- consistently ranks 4 or 5 in the percentage of graduates that get federal clerkships (US News)
- CoA is the 3rd lowest of any T14 (cheapest private school) and they're giving me a ton of money

Crunching the numbers and looking at my financial situation pretty much clinched it for me. I'm totally content.
I'm glad you're happy, but the above advice is saying you can get a much better package, from schools better than Duke in all of your statistics, by waiting one year.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:41 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
gerrydawg wrote:I've done a ton of research over this past week, fielded offers from other schools, and really did a deep dive into employment statistics and cost of attendance at schools I was considering. In short, I don't think there's a place I'd rather be than Duke. Why?

I'm glad you're happy, but the above advice is saying you can get a much better package, from schools better than Duke in all of your statistics, by waiting one year.
Yeah, the point is that you actually underperformed your numbers with that scholarship offer. If you wait a year and apply early in the cycle, you'll likely land good money further up the food chain. If you really still want to attend Duke at that point, you'll be able to negotiate a better deal with them.

Onomatopoeia

Gold

Post by Onomatopoeia » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:14 am

if you can get 10-20k more out of duke, i say go for it now. if not, reapply

edit: actually, the more i think about it... if u think u can handle the debt, maybe go for it now. i know 3.7/172-3s that got little to no money at CCN. one year of lost wages is also nothing to ignore.. good luck

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:19 am

I got the same money at Duke with same GPA and a 169. You got lowballed. Don't settle for that. Definitely reapply unless they step up their game.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:21 am

BigZuck wrote:I got the same money at Duke with same GPA and a 169. You got lowballed. Don't settle for that. Definitely reapply unless they step up their game.
With this in mind, I would reapply

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:23 am

transferror wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
+1. With a 3.7/172, you should get multiple scholarship offers in the T14 and play them against one another for leverage. You're also in the running for CCN.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:23 am

Bro, you are set next cycle. Congrats on the retake. Now enjoy a year off before CCN or $$$ at a lower T-14.

Onomatopoeia

Gold

Post by Onomatopoeia » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:26 am

this is def one of those tough decisions.. you could justify either option, really. how old are you? also, what would you do during your year off if you went that route?

i think 10-20k more and its time to take the plunge. duke with most of tuition covered is a great outcome and a better one is likely if u wait a year, but not guaranteed and how much better is unknown.

tell duke to give u more money and give them heartfelt reasons for needing it

gerrydawg

Bronze

Post by gerrydawg » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:31 pm

BornAgain99 wrote:this is def one of those tough decisions.. you could justify either option, really. how old are you? also, what would you do during your year off if you went that route?

i think 10-20k more and its time to take the plunge. duke with most of tuition covered is a great outcome and a better one is likely if u wait a year, but not guaranteed and how much better is unknown.

Those two questions are def influencing my opinion- there's no way I'm continuing at my current job (which I already have an end date for) and I don't have another job lined up. I'm in my mid-20s (wow- don't think I've ever said that before. Shit.)

They increased my scholarship this week without me even asking. Debt is a big thing for me- based on other people I've heard of with the same stats and very similar work experience, the better outcomes for me are primarily a lot less money at CCN. Call me crazy, but I would rather have a T10 school (barely, i know) pay me more than half of the tuition to go there and leave school with a little debt than go to a T6 and have to take out hundreds of thousands of dollars. Duke it is!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:36 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Bro, you are set next cycle. Congrats on the retake. Now enjoy a year off before CCN or $$$ at a lower T-14.
THIS THIS THIS.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:54 pm

gerrydawg wrote:
BornAgain99 wrote:this is def one of those tough decisions.. you could justify either option, really. how old are you? also, what would you do during your year off if you went that route?

Those two questions are def influencing my opinion- there's no way I'm continuing at my current job (which I already have an end date for) and I don't have another job lined up. I'm in my mid-20s (wow- don't think I've ever said that before. Shit.)

They increased my scholarship this week without me even asking. Debt is a big thing for me- based on other people I've heard of with the same stats and very similar work experience, the better outcomes for me are primarily a lot less money at CCN. Call me crazy, but I would rather have a T10 school (barely, i know) pay me more than half of the tuition to go there and leave school with a little debt than go to a T6 and have to take out hundreds of thousands of dollars. Duke it is!
Dude, try asking for more $$$. Tell them in light of your new score, you think you might want to reapply but haven't decided. I'm sure they want to lock someone like you down with those stats. If it doesn't work, no harm no foul.

Please at least ask. You won't regret it. A small bump is still thousands.

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Dude, try asking for more $$$. Tell them in light of your new score, you think you might want to reapply but haven't decided. I'm sure they want to lock someone like you down with those stats. If it doesn't work, no harm no foul.

Please at least ask. You won't regret it. A small bump is still thousands.
I want to echo the need to ask them for more.

They won't rescind your offer, and it can only help. I got my aid offer boosted twice, the first unprompted ($12,500) and the second by requesting, when they came through with an additional $52,500. I'm not kidding. I had other aid offers across the T14 I could leverage a little for the second, but the point is that they're willing and really do want to see you attend, and you can prompt that at the expense of a super small amount of personal time.

You have nothing to lose by asking.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Not asking for more and just saying "Screw it, Duke it is!" is an objectively bad and dumb decision. That's not even in my opinion, that is a fact.

Duke was also like literally the easiest school for me to negotiate with last year. I don't know why but the OP's blaséness when we're talking about tens of thousands of dollars is kind of disturbing to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”