School A versus School B Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

A or B?

School A
6%
School B
94%

Total votes: 33

Nucky

Silver

School A versus School B

Post by Nucky » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:30 am

Let me preface by saying I can't give any more info or I'd be outed. Please don't ask. I'm a semi-vet TLSer whose career goals align with these schools. I'm out of retakes and I'm happy and comfortable with the options I have, especially at these costs.

School A:
-T50
-$15k year in tuition. Standard college town COL(low).
-Strong ties to region.
-In one of the regions Id be okay practicing in.

School B:
-T25
-Full ride. Standard college town COL(low).
-No ties to region
-Not in a region I'd like to practice in but seems to have decent national placement, assuming decent grades. I'm also pretty flexible regarding my target market. I'm okay with working in a number of cities spread throughout the country. But the thought of staying in this school's immediate area after graduation is scary. Though there are cities in the region I'd be okay with.

Obvious pros and cons at both. Having an incredibly difficult time making a decision. Thoughts?

Nucky

Silver

Re: School A versus School B

Post by Nucky » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:32 am

I should add that I've tried negotiating with School A and they aren't budging. Which has been a bit frustrating, but it is what it is.
Last edited by Nucky on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:33 am

Is school A's scholly non negotiable? You'd think that a full ride to a t25 would be a starting selling point for you lol

edit: ah, didnt see your second post
Last edited by ilikebaseball on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:33 am

I'd pick School B. Yes, in a sense you're rolling the dice but if you have strong ties to a particular region, I don't think it's that much of a gamble. Also, even if things don't go your way, that full ride definitely reduces your risk.

Though obviously this would be easier if you could share the names of the schools. If you are interested, you can PM me more details.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:35 am

ugh how are we supposed to answer this
no listed coa at repayment
ranking numbers that are essentially meaningless
no idea how the schools do placement-wise
don't know your goals
don't know how you're financing

i mean like every relevant piece of info is not here

also, t25 with good national placement wut?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:35 am

I don't really know the schools, but I personally think this is directly dependent on what schools you are considering. From the outside looking in however, B seems like the choice I would make. More options after law to live in (not regionally tied down) plus far less debt

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:38 am

come on nucky

chicubs88

New

Post by chicubs88 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:42 am

As several posters have already stated, knowing the specific schools really matters in terms of giving advice. Based on what you've shared, I would say go School B, the full ride and living in a low-COL campus town is a real plus, you can pretty easily get your degree without a substantial investment (living expenses ~15K a year). However, not all T25's are created equally, going to a school like Alabama won't due you a lot of favors if you want BigLaw or any job outside of Alabama and the deep south. The only way I would recommend the T50 is if it is your state's main law school and it dominates in terms of placing people in jobs around the state...otherwise go t25, save money, and hustle for a job.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:47 am

Brut wrote:come on nucky
I know man, and I'm sorry. But this is what I'm comfortable sharing until I make my decision. I'll fill you guys in via PM after. I'm still in active discussions with both schools.

I'm essentially just wondering if I should go to a higher ranked school with more money but no ties, or pay more for a strong regional with ties. Employment stats are actually not wildly different, but the T25 sends people throughout the country(not on a T14 level, obviously) whereas the T50 has almost entirely in-state placement.

I'm thinking that $15k year isn't life shattering money but it's still a lot. I'll be financing through traditional channels wherever I go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:48 am

Nucky wrote:
I know man, and I'm sorry. But this is what I'm comfortable sharing until I make my decision. I'll fill you guys in via PM after. I'm still in active discussions with both schools.

I'm essentially just wondering if I should go to a higher ranked school with more money but no ties, or pay more for a strong regional with ties. Employment stats are actually not wildly different, but the T25 sends people throughout the country(not on a T14 level, obviously) whereas the T50 has almost entirely in-state placement.

I'm thinking that $15k year isn't life shattering money but it's still a lot. I'll be financing through traditional channels wherever I go.
Assuming that the school costs ~50k a year, that's still over a $100k difference. That's a lot of money.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:49 am

The only way I'd go to school A is if you're dead set on living on the region. School B (although I dont know the name so i could be wrong) will likely give you more opportunities to be open upon graduation. Also, LESS DEBT

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:49 am

It's clearly Alabama where you shouldn't go unless you want to work for Baker Donelson
Last edited by Hipster but Athletic on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:51 am

It cant be bama... he said it has "decent national placement" lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:53 am

choward014 wrote:It cant be bama... he said it has "decent national placement" lol
It's the only school in the T25 that could be deemed a college town, besides Durham & Charlottesville

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:54 am

I agree with you guys. I'm leaning towards school B. I don't see how a free law degree from a T25 can be a bad thing. Would still love to hear more thoughts though. This is by far the most difficult decision I've ever made.

It's not Bama.

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:56 am

If it's Vandy definitely do that. I have no idea how you could call Atlanta, DC, LA, MPLS, Williamsburg, Seattle, etc. college towns, but I guess uptown Nash is kind of dominated by Vandy?

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:57 am

ph14 wrote:
Nucky wrote:

Assuming that the school costs ~50k a year, that's still over a $100k difference. That's a lot of money.
School A debt before interest would be somewhere around $95k or so including COL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:57 am

Nucky wrote:I agree with you guys. I'm leaning towards school B. I don't see how a free law degree from a T25 can be a bad thing. Would still love to hear more thoughts though. This is by far the most difficult decision I've ever made.

It's not Bama.
Could be UT? lol this thread has derailed from helping him to speculation. I'd go with school B if what you're saying about how they place nationally is true. You aren't restricted to one place, you get a better law quality education, you have a number of potential areas to move to, and NO DEBT

chicubs88

New

Post by chicubs88 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:59 am

What are your career goals? BigLaw, government, own firm, etc.....?

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:59 am

Hipster but Athletic wrote:If it's Vandy definitely do that. I have no idea how you could call Atlanta, DC, LA, MPLS, Williamsburg, Seattle, etc. college towns, but I guess uptown Nash is kind of dominated by Vandy?
Let's just say it bounces in, out and around the T25. Not going to answer any more about which school it is. I'm not trying to encourage a scavenger hunt here.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:59 am

Nucky wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Nucky wrote:

School A debt before interest would be somewhere around $95k or so including COL.
What's the COL you are estimating for the T25 school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:00 am

95k before interest is too much
six figure debt when you have a t25 full-ride on the table is silly
speaking generically that is
obv uiuc vs usc for midwest is a much diff decision than tulane vs gw

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:00 am

Nucky wrote:
Let's just say it bounces in, out and around the T25. Not going to answer any more about which school it is. I'm not trying to encourage a scavenger hunt here.
MINNESOTA *solved*

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:01 am

chicubs88 wrote:What are your career goals? BigLaw, government, own firm, etc.....?
I'd love big law but am open to several other areas as well. My main concerns are minimizing debt and maximizing opportunity.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:06 am

Nucky wrote:Not in a region I'd like to practice in but seems to have decent national placement
Nucky wrote:Standard college town COL(low)
Nucky wrote:Let's just say it bounces in, out and around the T25
Ok, so it's Notre Dame. I'd go to Notre Dame.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”