Choosing between IU McKinney and Boston College Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I go to?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Boston College
43%
IU McKinney
57%

Total votes: 14

Pghanta

New

Choosing between IU McKinney and Boston College

Post by Pghanta » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi! I just got off the wait list for Boston College and have to make a decision whether I attend or not in a couple days. I've already been accepted to IU McKinney not to be confused with Maurer and received a full ride from them so it's a difficult decision to make.

BC said that they do not have any money for scholarships left so I would be paying sticker there and using loans to fund it.. What should I do?? Any advice is appreciated!! Thank you!!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Choosing between IU McKinney and Boston College

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Are you referring to IU-Indy ?
Do you want to practice in Indiana or in the Northeast ?

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Let me guess you looked at the employment data but don't care because you don't want biglaw anyway

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Between the two, without more info., take the full tuition scholarship if you want to practice in Indiana or retake the LSAT & reapply next cycle.

Pghanta

New

Post by Pghanta » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Yes IU Indy.

And I actually want to be in a city, but Indy does not excite me at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pghanta

New

Post by Pghanta » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:36 pm

DELG wrote:Let me guess you looked at the employment data but don't care because you don't want biglaw anyway

I don't mind biglaw

Pghanta

New

Post by Pghanta » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Are you referring to IU-Indy ?
Do you want to practice in Indiana or in the Northeast ?

Yes in IU Indy

And I would like to practice in a city.. But Indy is not a preference to me.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:38 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:40 pm

A law degree from IU-Indy is not likely to travel beyond Indiana & the bordering states. Don't pay full tuition at BC; retake the LSAT & reapply next cycle to generate better options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Indiana or don't go/retake. Boston College is a great school, but it's not worth sticker or even close to it. Going to BC would be foolish. Indiana is definitely worth free. Only go though if you're cool with working somewhere in Indiana for the foreseeable future. Maybe take a quick visit to the area if you have the time, I haven't been there in a while but I recall being pleasantly surprised.

Also, if you want Biglaw, don't go. It's not going to happen from Indiana.

TL;DR - If you want to work in Indiana and don't want Biglaw, go to Indiana. If not, retake.

Pghanta

New

Post by Pghanta » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:43 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:A law degree from IU-Indy is not likely to travel beyond Indiana & the bordering states. Don't pay full tuition at BC; retake the LSAT & reapply next cycle to generate better options.
The only place I would like to be is in Chicago after Indy for a little while.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Yep, take the money.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Pghanta wrote:
DELG wrote:Let me guess you looked at the employment data but don't care because you don't want biglaw anyway
I don't mind biglaw
What DELG probably meant is that you better not want big law in any way because you most likely aren't going to get it. Only 7% of IU McKinney grads got big law last year.

Full ride to a regional for small firm/public interest work is okay.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pghanta

New

Post by Pghanta » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:45 pm

isuperserial wrote:Indiana or don't go/retake. Boston College is a great school, but it's not worth sticker or even close to it. Going to BC would be foolish. Indiana is definitely worth free. Only go though if you're cool with working somewhere in Indiana for the foreseeable future. Maybe take a quick visit to the area if you have the time, I haven't been there in a while but I recall being pleasantly surprised.

TL;DR - If you want to work in Indiana and don't want Biglaw, go to Indiana. If not, retake.

So BC is really not worth the sticker price? But wouldn't the prospects of getting a Biglaw job out of schools outweigh the debt you take on?

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Pghanta wrote:
isuperserial wrote:Indiana or don't go/retake. Boston College is a great school, but it's not worth sticker or even close to it. Going to BC would be foolish. Indiana is definitely worth free. Only go though if you're cool with working somewhere in Indiana for the foreseeable future. Maybe take a quick visit to the area if you have the time, I haven't been there in a while but I recall being pleasantly surprised.

So BC is really not worth the sticker price? But wouldn't the prospects of getting a Biglaw job out of schools outweigh the debt you take on?
Yes, if BC placed in biglaw like a T6.
Unfortunately it's only 1/2 that, so no.
Last edited by eriedoctrine on Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:47 pm

Pghanta wrote:

No because BC doesn't place well in big law. I mean, it places okay, about 34% (if you include fed clerks) but that means that there is a 66% chance you won't get it. How will you pay off sticker debt then?

Pghanta

New

Post by Pghanta » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:47 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Pghanta wrote:
I don't mind biglaw
What DELG probably meant is that you better not want big law in any way because you most likely aren't going to get it. Only 7% of IU McKinney grads got big law last year.

What if I did JD/MBA from IU McKinney? Do you think that would help the chances of getting a Biglaw job then?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:48 pm

Pghanta wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Pghanta wrote:
I don't mind biglaw

What if I did JD/MBA from IU McKinney? Do you think that would help the chances of getting a Biglaw job then?
No. A MBA may actually hurt you if looked at in the wrong context.

Pghanta

New

Post by Pghanta » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:49 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Pghanta wrote:

No because BC doesn't place well in big law. I mean, it places okay, about 34% (if you include fed clerks) but that means that there is a 66% chance you won't get it. How will you pay off sticker debt then?
That makes a lot of sense!

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:50 pm

You'd get an MBA to avoid retaking the LSAT?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Pghanta wrote: What if I did JD/MBA from IU McKinney? Do you think that would help the chances of getting a Biglaw job then?
I don't have stats for that, but the fact that only 7% (those include the JD/MBAs) got big law means you shouldn't be banking on it. Only go if you are okay with NOT practicing big law. I'm not saying you have 0% chance of getting big law. Who knows? You might be a special snowflake and be one of those in the 7%. But statistically, it's unlikely. If you are okay with not practicing big law and are okay with working in Indy, a full ride is not a terrible deal. If you are okay with hedging your bets and gunning for big law but and are okay with failing and are happy with a small firm job, then go. If you really want big law, you gotta retake.

The reason why everyone is saying not BC is because if you fail to land big law at Indy, you're still okay because you have no tuition debt and you can make a livable wage and survive. If you go to BC at sticker and you fail, you're totally f@#$ed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pghanta

New

Post by Pghanta » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:53 pm

DELG wrote:You'd get an MBA to avoid retaking the LSAT?

I've already taken it 2 times and received the same score.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Pghanta wrote:
I took it 3 times and got the same score, then took it a 4th and it was worth it.

How are you studying? Did you drill questions by type or did you just read the books and do PTs? That's the most common mistake (it was definitely mine).

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-se ... reasoning/

Pghanta

New

Post by Pghanta » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:58 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Pghanta wrote:
I took it 3 times and got the same score, then took it a 4th and it was worth it.

How are you studying? Did you drill questions by type or did you just read the books and do PTs? That's the most common mistake (it was definitely mine).

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-se ... reasoning/

I studied with all the manhattan books, did some kaplan books as well, did every single PT from 30 onwards. I know that there is pretty much not an easy fix to making my score higher. I am also a bad test taker, so that is a large issue for me.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Pghanta wrote: I studied with all the manhattan books, did some kaplan books as well, did every single PT from 30 onwards. I know that there is pretty much not an easy fix to making my score higher. I am also a bad test taker, so that is a large issue for me.
As I suspected, you did what I did and it's not enough. You need to drill. You need to do questions by type. You need to do each question and take as much time as you need to figure out why each wrong answer is wrong and why each right answer is right.

(See above for Cambridge series)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”