Michigan v.s. Penn Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan v.s. Penn

Michigan ($10,000/yr)
17%
Penn ($10,000/yr)
83%

Total votes: 53

ymmv

Diamond

Re: Michigan v.s. Penn

Post by ymmv » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:48 pm

BornAgain99 wrote:I dunno what u guys are all worked up about. It will be seen as a positive achievement. How much of a positive depends on my performance in law school
We're all in agreement on that. Anyway, congratulations on having the brains to choose a strong regional on a full ride over T14 at sticker. Hopefully OP follows suit.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:49 pm

ymmv wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:People ITT have missed that OP doesn't want NYC big law. Going to Penn at sticker when you don't want NYC big law is a horrible idea. As is the idea of trying to get a job at a big firm because you want to get into a basically imaginary line of work ("sports law.")

Lots of people go to law school not because they want to be lawyers, but because they want to do something fun and/or socially constructive, so they rationalize that decision by taking that something and tacking the word "law" on to it. See:

Sports
Entertainment
International
Human Rights
Environmental
No one has missed this. If you actually read the thread you would see multiple posters repeatedly advising OP that sports law does not exist in any meaningful sense.

But, as usual, your condescending plunge into a conversation you have not read is much appreciated.

People ITT have missed that OP doesn't want NYC big law. Going to Penn at sticker when you don't want NYC big law is a horrible idea
If you actually read the thread you would see multiple posters repeatedly advising OP that sports law does not exist in any meaningful sense
Good luck on those issue spotters.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:58 pm

Paul Campos wrote:Good luck on those issue spotters.
Already had it, thanks. Good luck on your dual careers of shit-science salesmanship and scamblog operation.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:01 pm

ymmv wrote:
Already had it, thanks. Good luck on your dual careers of shit-science salesmanship and scamblog operation.

How's the whole Aspie with a JD thing working out?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
ymmv wrote:

Not half as well as tenure, apparently, but on the whole I can't complain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:37 pm

ymmv wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
ymmv wrote:

Not half as well as tenure, apparently, but on the whole I can't complain.
Hah! Well you have a thick skin, which counts for a lot in this thing of ours.

coreaves23

New

Post by coreaves23 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:51 pm

OP here. Apologize for my absence, but it looks like you guys had a good go of things while I was gone! Haha.
MistakenGenius wrote:I just want to say that I love BigZuck. He's so right. OP, you seem like a nice kid. I'd love to be a sports agent. It sounds incredible. But it's just not worth going into life-ruining debt to try to achieve. That's why we recommend retaking so much. I want you to be able to achieve your dreams for as low a cost as possible.

I agree with ymmv on his main points, but I think Campos is right to draw attention on the fact that OP wants to avoid New York, especially as there are so many posters still saying Michigan is unjustifiable over Penn. Penn is excellent for New York Biglaw (I've made the argument before that it should be CCP), but if you really do not want to live in the Big Apple, then it's a poor choice. Michigan is marginally better for the midwest, though retaking is still the best option. I just wanted to draw attention to the implausibility of sports law in my first post.

OP, I think the other regular posters are right on the money here and there's nothing left for me to add. I just wanted to come back in to wish you all the luck in world and express my continuing adoration for BigZ and Bagelboy.
I really appreciate your well wishes. I understand that retaking may be the best option to many, but it is simply not an option for me. As I said, maybe I did really well on this past LSAT. If so, retaking doesn't need to happen and perhaps I'll have different options to consider at that point.
rayiner wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:People ITT have missed that OP doesn't want NYC big law. Going to Penn at sticker when you don't want NYC big law is a horrible idea. As is the idea of trying to get a job at a big firm because you want to get into a basically imaginary line of work ("sports law.")

Lots of people go to law school not because they want to be lawyers, but because they want to do something fun and/or socially constructive, so they rationalize that decision by taking that something and tacking the word "law" on to it. See:

Sports
Entertainment
International
Human Rights
Environmental
This is pervasive even among people who want to do business law. It's like people who are "interested in startups" so they go to a law firm in Silicon Valley. You might do more IPO's versus bond issuances, but that's about the extent of the substantive distinction.
Glad that you recognized that I do not want NYC BigLaw. However, for the eleventh time, I do understand sports law is "imaginary" and nearly improbable. That is why I said I would like to do BigLaw. Don't know how much more clear I can make it. If anyone has pros/cons of both, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:54 pm

coreaves23 wrote:OP here. Apologize for my absence, but it looks like you guys had a good go of things while I was gone! Haha.
MistakenGenius wrote:I just want to say that I love BigZuck. He's so right. OP, you seem like a nice kid. I'd love to be a sports agent. It sounds incredible. But it's just not worth going into life-ruining debt to try to achieve. That's why we recommend retaking so much. I want you to be able to achieve your dreams for as low a cost as possible.

I agree with ymmv on his main points, but I think Campos is right to draw attention on the fact that OP wants to avoid New York, especially as there are so many posters still saying Michigan is unjustifiable over Penn. Penn is excellent for New York Biglaw (I've made the argument before that it should be CCP), but if you really do not want to live in the Big Apple, then it's a poor choice. Michigan is marginally better for the midwest, though retaking is still the best option. I just wanted to draw attention to the implausibility of sports law in my first post.

OP, I think the other regular posters are right on the money here and there's nothing left for me to add. I just wanted to come back in to wish you all the luck in world and express my continuing adoration for BigZ and Bagelboy.
I really appreciate your well wishes. I understand that retaking may be the best option to many, but it is simply not an option for me. As I said, maybe I did really well on this past LSAT. If so, retaking doesn't need to happen and perhaps I'll have different options to consider at that point.
rayiner wrote:

Sports
Entertainment
International
Human Rights
Environmental
This is pervasive even among people who want to do business law. It's like people who are "interested in startups" so they go to a law firm in Silicon Valley. You might do more IPO's versus bond issuances, but that's about the extent of the substantive distinction.
Glad that you recognized that I do not want NYC BigLaw. However, for the eleventh time, I do understand sports law is "imaginary" and nearly improbable. That is why I said I would like to do BigLaw. Don't know how much more clear I can make it. If anyone has pros/cons of both, I would love to hear them. Thanks!
Retake, retake, reeeeetaaaaake! (Sing it with me).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”