Married with children Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rbrown0824

New

Married with children

Post by rbrown0824 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:12 pm

Hello All,

I'm a 26 yr old male with a wife and three children (6yrs 3yrs, 1yr) living in Ohio. I don't want to necessarily limit my law school options by only considering schools in my area, but the fact that I have a family to support ways heavily in my decision-making process. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/experience on choosing a law school based on my circumstances. Thanks :)

nygrrrl

Gold

Re: Married with children

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:18 pm

Are you planning to attend school full time, or continue working and enroll in a part time program?

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:23 pm

What are your stats?

rbrown0824

New

Post by rbrown0824 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Going to school full-time. UGPA: 4.0; LSAT: TBD, (hoping for 170+ but then again, isn't everyone lol)...also URM if that matters.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:30 pm

NICE.

If you can get a 170 or higher you're practically guaranteed to get a full ride to a great school. Just knock the LSAT out of the park and you will go to law school for free.

ETA: What kind of URM are you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 pm

You need to go to the best school for the best price that will help.you reach your goals. Any idea what kind of law you are interested in attending?

I would prepare to move out of Ohio if I were you.

rbrown0824

New

Post by rbrown0824 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:38 pm

PDX4343 wrote: ETA: What kind of URM are you?
AA.
Any idea what kind of law you are interested in attending?
My heart is in criminal law...namely public defense, or juvenile representation.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:41 pm

rbrown0824 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote: ETA: What kind of URM are you?
AA.
Any idea what kind of law you are interested in attending?
My heart is in criminal law...namely public defense, or juvenile representation.
So public interest? You are in luck a lot of smart people here do that work. Post when you get your score. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Yeah man / women. You should be set to go to a great school with a substantial scholarship if you do well.

rbrown0824

New

Post by rbrown0824 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:46 pm

thanks!! I appreciate your input and well-wishes :)

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:00 pm

I had a 1 y.o. when I started law school and a second one during my 2L summer. My wife works which is obviously a huge factor financially, provides for good insurance, etc. There are a lot of different factors in deciding to attend law school and which school to attend when you have kids. For instance, 1L is intense and you'll be incredibly busy, so maybe a school near extended family would be a consideration. With your stats (assuming 170+ LSAT) you'll get into nearly all the t-14. If you're set on PI (fwiw most people are set on PI before law school, then things change) probably think about the school with either the best scholarship or best LRAP. A school like NU, that has a traditionally older crowd may make it easier on your wife because she may be able to fins other spouses/moms to connect with.

PM me if you have more specific questions. Incidentally, I'm from Ohio as well.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:13 pm

FWIW, the school-offered insurance plan is both the best and least expensive coverage my spouse and I have had access to in the last decade. Major health issues during LS have resulted in school more than paying for itself already just in medical coverage alone.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:35 pm

Thought this would be about Al Bundy & the early 90's comedy. Somewhat disappointed .

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:48 pm

rbrown0824 wrote:Going to school full-time. UGPA: 4.0; LSAT: TBD, (hoping for 170+ but then again, isn't everyone lol)...also URM if that matters.
Get 170+, enjoy Harvard with full need-based aid bec. of kids. If you go before 28 yrs. old tho, your parents' income will count a bit in aid assessment.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:56 pm

Shit bro, anything close to a 170 + an 4.0 GPA + AA URM and I'd be very surprised if you didn't get a full ride at a T14. To answer your question, yes, you should very seriously consider relocating your family if/when you get a deal like that.

Incidentally, if you need to build up savings for a year, your LSAT score will be good for five and your GPA will be good indefinitely. There is no rush if you don't feel comfortable living exclusively on loans + your wife's salary if that's what it comes down to.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:08 am

rbrown0824 wrote:Hello All,

I'm a 26 yr old male with a wife and three children (6yrs 3yrs, 1yr) living in Ohio. I don't want to necessarily limit my law school options by only considering schools in my area, but the fact that I have a family to support ways heavily in my decision-making process. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/experience on choosing a law school based on my circumstances. Thanks :)
Edit
Last edited by Clyde Frog on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:51 am

If you hit 170, yeah, you'll be looking at full rides at some T14s, which would be worth relocating for. Good luck!

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:01 am

rbrown0824 wrote:Hello community, I'm wondering if anyone can provide me with any advice regarding law school admissions given my current situation. I intend on applying for law school either this year or next (depending on whether the class that I need for graduation will be offered in the spring or not), but I have a semi-extensive criminal record to overcome. As far as academics, I've consistently been pretty solid although I've been to about 4 different universities (including a community college). I have 3-3.5's and 4-4.0's. My current UGPA is a 4.0. However, I have approximately 7 criminal convictions from 2007-2012 (possession of marijuana x2, unauthorized use of property, receiving stolen property (felony), criminal trespassing, falsification, obstruction). Sadly, these are only the incidents that I was convicted of. Some of these convictions were a part of plea deals where other charges were dropped. If I have to report those as well then my C&F section will become even longer. All of these instances were a product of a drug addiction that I battled for six years. I have now been clean for two. I am currently volunteering with a few organizations to try and demonstrate a pattern of improved behavior. I also did done some volunteer work and had some internships at a couple law firms - even while in active addiction. I haven't taken the LSAT yet (September 2014), but my academic record is pretty solid aside from W's (4-5 when I was suspended from school due to the unauthorized use,;2 because I dropped classes after the due dates; 4 because I dropped out when my first son was born). I also had an issue with a brief stint at a University that I literally attended for like a month because I was arrested and consequently missed everything (midterms finals, etc.) because I was incarcerated; I came out with a 0.34 from that school. I'm wondering, considering all this information, what are my chances at law school and how might I best present my case for admission. Thanks

This is from an old post from you. You need to calculate your gpa from all of your schools. If you had a 0.34 for one semester, and it was a standard 15 credit term, then even if you finished out with straight A's for the next four years (120 credits) you would only have a 3.59 gpa. With the 3.5 gpa for three semesters it's most likely in the 3.4 range. Also, you need to check into your criminal convictions, because that's kind of a big deal, especially convictions related to dishonesty (falsification). In addition, they aren't just a one time thing, as they span from 2007-2012.

rbrown0824

New

Post by rbrown0824 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:41 am

Ok
Last edited by rbrown0824 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:57 am

rbrown0824 wrote:When I said UGPA, I meant at my current institution. I plan on writing an addendum for that 0.34 because I never even attended class for more than a month before I had to leave campus. As far as criminal convictions, I have substantial proof that all of the trouble I was in resulted from a documented drug additction. I have documented proof of my rehabilitation and a history of service and volunteer work since my convictions. Not to mention the fact that two of my LOR's are written from individuals who I had personally wronged in my past, that are speaking about my transformation. I have a few other things that are distinctly unique about me which would indicate the fact that I have overcome numerous obstacles to be sitting where I am. I also have some excellent softs from some summers that I spent in a leadership program for scholars in D.C. I'm confident thar my application will look strong and will be a breathe of fresh air for someone reading 500 per day. My convictions may hinder me, but I'm guessing they won't. Either way, I'll won't end up a jealous sap trolling forums looking to dig up dirt on individuals with nice numbers. FYI: my falsification charge stemmed from when I gave an officer the wrong name when I was high!! Lol
Nice numbers? You have a gpa most likely in the low 3's because you turned in a 0.34 for a semester, and no LSAT score. Those aren't numbers to brag about.

I'm not trying to offend you, just giving a dose of reality. Are you going to write in your addendum that you are only dishonest when you are high? Shit looks bad dude. You have seven felony convictions and to top it off you had children when you committed these felonies, which speaks a great deal about your character. Law schools are probably going to look at your c&f statement and be like, "da fuq!?!"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:59 am

(Omits important information)
(Calls people trolls when they find it themselves)

Rexdan

New

Post by Rexdan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:06 am

Clyde Frog wrote:
rbrown0824 wrote:When I said UGPA, I meant at my current institution. I plan on writing an addendum for that 0.34 because I never even attended class for more than a month before I had to leave campus. As far as criminal convictions, I have substantial proof that all of the trouble I was in resulted from a documented drug additction. I have documented proof of my rehabilitation and a history of service and volunteer work since my convictions. Not to mention the fact that two of my LOR's are written from individuals who I had personally wronged in my past, that are speaking about my transformation. I have a few other things that are distinctly unique about me which would indicate the fact that I have overcome numerous obstacles to be sitting where I am. I also have some excellent softs from some summers that I spent in a leadership program for scholars in D.C. I'm confident thar my application will look strong and will be a breathe of fresh air for someone reading 500 per day. My convictions may hinder me, but I'm guessing they won't. Either way, I'll won't end up a jealous sap trolling forums looking to dig up dirt on individuals with nice numbers. FYI: my falsification charge stemmed from when I gave an officer the wrong name when I was high!! Lol
Nice numbers? You have a gpa most likely in the low 3's because you turned in a 0.34 for a semester, and no LSAT score. Those aren't numbers to brag about.

I'm not trying to offend you, just giving a dose of reality. Are you going to write in your addendum that you are only dishonest when you are high? Shit looks bad dude. You have seven felony convictions and to top it off you had children when you committed these felonies, which speaks a great deal about your character. Law schools are probably going to look at your c&f statement and be like, "da fuq!?!"
I think he's a troll. If he's not, then he better have a really, really good addendum and a stellar LSAT score.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:07 am

rbrown0824 wrote:When I said UGPA, I meant at my current institution. I plan on writing an addendum for that 0.34 because I never even attended class for more than a month before I had to leave campus. As far as criminal convictions, I have substantial proof that all of the trouble I was in resulted from a documented drug additction. I have documented proof of my rehabilitation and a history of service and volunteer work since my convictions. Not to mention the fact that two of my LOR's are written from individuals who I had personally wronged in my past, that are speaking about my transformation. I have a few other things that are distinctly unique about me which would indicate the fact that I have overcome numerous obstacles to be sitting where I am. I also have some excellent softs from some summers that I spent in a leadership program for scholars in D.C. I'm confident thar my application will look strong and will be a breathe of fresh air for someone reading 500 per day. My convictions may hinder me, but I'm guessing they won't. Either way, I'll won't end up a jealous sap trolling forums looking to dig up dirt on individuals with nice numbers. FYI: my falsification charge stemmed from when I gave an officer the wrong name when I was high!! Lol I don't think it would viewed as high treason, but hey it might, what do I know? Im just another n***a tryna make it out the ghetto with his wife and kids.
Why are you getting all butthurt? He's not trying to be a dick to you, he's just pointing out something that you may not have been aware of: your .34 semester WILL hurt you. It's still going to count whether you write an addendum or not.

It's great that you got treatment for your drug addiction and have turned your life around, but I don't think it's going to be the "breath of fresh air" for adcomms you're expecting. Your C&F issues are still going to make your cycle at least hard to predict. I'm not saying they're insumountable, but when you write your explanations you need to take them seriously and show contrition, not go "LOL I was high though." Adcomms aren't going to think it's funny/interesting.

By the way, you don't have nice numbers, yet. You have an okay GPA. You could have a nice LSAT, but that's all speculative at this point.

A little more humility, dude, seriously. You could have a great cycle if you kill the LSAT and play your cards right, but you're strutting a little early.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:08 am

Im just another n***a tryna make it out the ghetto with his wife and kids.
This was an especially nice touch.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”