FIU vs Loyola New Orleans Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Gooner91

Silver

Re: FIU vs Loyola New Orleans

Post by Gooner91 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:39 pm

What are the scholly stips?

Lebrarian_Booker

Silver

Post by Lebrarian_Booker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Whoa whoa whoa...FIU? Are we talking Florida International University here?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:Whoa whoa whoa...FIU? Are we talking Florida International University here?

Actually, numbers on lst aren't that bad. You just better be going for little debt and expect small law/maybe some public interest job after graduating

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Employment scores of 55.4% and 48.8% for the two schools aren't that bad? You really need to stop giving people awful advice, Young Marino. You are going to ruin someone's life.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Young Marino wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:Whoa whoa whoa...FIU? Are we talking Florida International University here?

Actually, numbers on lst aren't that bad. You just better be going for little debt and praying for small law/maybe some public interest job after graduating
FTFY.

ETA: piss off young marino, your advice is terrible. Just because you want to go to a shitty school in Miami doesn't mean you should encourage others to do so.
Last edited by Gooner91 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Going to a regional school can be a good choice. I'm going to go to a regional school, and a lot of posters on this board are going to attend strong regionals on scholarship. This issue is most people want to go to the best school in the state to have the best chance of getting gainful employment. FIU isn't even the best school in Miami. Neither of these schools are good choices, and 55% on LST does not equal "not that bad".

Lebrarian_Booker

Silver

Post by Lebrarian_Booker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Ok YM. Tell me your stats and I'll tell you why you should retake/not go.

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:19 pm

HRomanus wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
jswaller00 wrote:I appreciate the honest responses. Based on what you are saying how do these schools even thrive or maintain any type of student body if no one is able to support themselves after graduation?
This question is something TLS cannot answer because according to many on this board, "those lawyers don't really exist" Which is complete bullshit. What are your goals OP? Before attending law school, you should have some type of idea of what area of law and what market(s) you can see yourself practicing in. By attending either one of these schools you will likely have to stay in the home market for some time. Can you see yourself living in Miami or New Orleans for a while? You have solid options but I'd like to hear more about what your goals are. Based on what I've seen so far from your posts, I'd go to FIU as you get instate tuition and they have a solid and the better employment score on LST. Do you have family in Miami you can live with to save on living expenses?
YM: please stop. Are you an idiot or are you an asshole? Your advice leaves those two options.

FIU COA at sticker is around $150k, which I assume OP will finance via loans. The average FIU grad is either under/unemployed or working in a law firm below 10 people - salary situations which at best start around $60,000. At best only 8% of graduates are making anything close to six figures. Forget his goals, OP cannot service $150,000 of debt with the most likely employment outcomes from FIU.

If you want to do a full analysis, don't ignore 3 years of lost income at average for college grad ($45k/year). So total cost is $285k, discouting interest on loans. In what world is a $60,000 job worth $285,000 in debt and lost income? Are you fucking insane?
Don't overestimate prospects for just graduated undergrads, particularly those in shitty majors. It's definitely closer for 30k/year, and that's if they are lucky enough to actually get a non-min wage job.

That being said, neither of these schools are worth it, even if you have a useless undergrad degree. Unless you are at the top of the class(which no, you can't guarantee in any fashion), you will not get a job able to pay back your debt
Last edited by The Dark Shepard on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Yeah, a bachelors in some shitty humanities and making 45K fresh out of school is styling big time.

That being said, stop giving bad advice YM, but do what works for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tier3

New

Post by tier3 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:30 am

I would rate FIU a better law school than UM. It's the most difficult law school to get into and has the highest median GPA of any law school in Florida. Admittedly it trails some of the other law schools in Florida on the lsat. It does however, have a much lower in state tuition than UM. UM is overrated in my humble opinion and the tuition is almost double than public law schools in Florida. FIU is not ranked as high as UF or FSU because it's a relatively young law school. I think FIU has a lot more going for it than any other law school in Florida. I think employment numbers on lst are an important statistic, I just doubt its' validity. I think most people aren't interested in reporting if they're working when their former school calls. Also many former students are too busy working to report to their former schools, that is why I think this stat is misleading at times and flawed.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:19 am

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:34 am

FIU grads are too busy printing FAT STACKS to be bothered to answer some stupid job survey

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:54 am

To read more about tier3's delusional thoughts on employment:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=237629

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:37 am

The fact that those advocating TTT's are so passionate about their relatively high medians while simultaneously calling those who state one should only go to well respected law schools elitists says all you need to know about these people.

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:54 am

I know people who went to FIU law school. It's a decent law school but they always talk about how dismal their alumni base is because it is still a newer law school. It truly isn't worth going to law school there but it isn't the worst mistake one could make. while it doesn't have alumni and its job prospects are not great it is still respected as an institution. Honestly though, what does it matter if its respected if you wont find a job? I live in Miami and know a bunch of people from the YLD down here and quiet a few FIU recent grads are unemployed so unlike the others, my thoughts are based upon first hand knowledge.

My advise, don't go to either school. If you had to choose because you are guaranteed legal employment, pick FIU.

darth lulz

New

Post by darth lulz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:33 am

is tier 3 a young marino alt?

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:36 am

If you are content with small firm in MIA, then go FIU...if you dont have to pay the farm to go.

But, do not forget that you have UM students that you will be competing against, not to mention Barry and others.

I'd recommend a retake/don't go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:40 am

pancakes3 wrote:To read more about tier3's delusional thoughts on employment:

I tried pointing out his obvious bullshit in that thread and he, of course, disappeared.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:48 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:To read more about tier3's delusional thoughts on employment:

I tried pointing out his obvious bullshit in that thread and he, of course, disappeared.
Just do flipdog bro obv
Last edited by BigZuck on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:55 pm

No idea who that tier 3 guy is. I'm so caught up in 1helL that I just don't give a fuck about where anyone goes to LS. If you want to go to either of these shitholes at sticker I really don't give a fuck dude.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sheriff

Bronze

Post by Sheriff » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:01 pm

Young Marino wrote:No idea who that tier 3 guy is. I'm so caught up in 1helL that I just don't give a fuck about where anyone goes to LS. If you want to go to either of these shitholes at sticker I really don't give a fuck dude.
End "1helL." Drop out and retake.

darth lulz

New

Post by darth lulz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:49 pm

Sheriff wrote:
Young Marino wrote:No idea who that tier 3 guy is. I'm so caught up in 1helL that I just don't give a fuck about where anyone goes to LS. If you want to go to either of these shitholes at sticker I really don't give a fuck dude.
End "1helL." Drop out and retake.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:53 pm

tier3 wrote:I would rate FIU a better law school than UM. It's the most difficult law school to get into and has the highest median GPA of any law school in Florida. Admittedly it trails some of the other law schools in Florida on the lsat. It does however, have a much lower in state tuition than UM. UM is overrated in my humble opinion and the tuition is almost double than public law schools in Florida. FIU is not ranked as high as UF or FSU because it's a relatively young law school. I think FIU has a lot more going for it than any other law school in Florida. I think employment numbers on lst are an important statistic, I just doubt its' validity. I think most people aren't interested in reporting if they're working when their former school calls. Also many former students are too busy working to report to their former schools, that is why I think this stat is misleading at times and flawed.
:roll: I love how magically the lower-tier-school alums are too busy to return calls reporting employment but somehow the T14 folks find time to do it.

also, don't necro threads for no reason.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:36 pm

It's not that bad. What makes it hell is the fact your work may be for naught, and counterproductive for your career. If you get bad grades there's no question your life is likely to be worse than it was had you not went to law school, and stayed at home drinking beer for a year. The work itself isn't that terrible. The terrible aspect is how law school is set up for every step to be as horrible as possible - wait a month for your LSAT score, wait a month for each grade, wait to hear back from callbacks, wait six months for the bar, etc. Find smart and interesting friends, and work with them if it gets depressing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”