U of A vs. Boyd vs. Loyola vs. USD (all $$$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
onlyunholy

Bronze

Re: U of A vs. Boyd vs. Loyola vs. USD (all $$$$)

Post by onlyunholy » Wed May 21, 2014 11:26 pm

BigZuck wrote:Getting a 170 or so will be significantly easier than getting the grades from these schools to transfer into a place like Cal. It will almost certainly be significantly cheaper as well.

This plan is really, really not good. A federal clerkship is like virtually impossible to get from any of these schools. I totally understand why you feel like you're smart but if you continue with this plan it will almost certainly be one of the dumbest things you ever decide to do.

If you're cool with the job outlook for a median bro at any of these schools then knock yourself out. At least you have big scholarships.
I'm not saying I am just ohsosmart that I will be in the top 5% anywhere. I'm pushing for a federal clerkship because elite plaintiff-side firms need that kind of "bump" from schools outside their automatic consideration (UCLA/USC/Boalt, etc).

No one thinking U of A would be a good option because I don't plan on living in AZ -- correct?

onlyunholy

Bronze

Post by onlyunholy » Sat May 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Anything else, friends? :)

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:57 pm

onlyunholy wrote:
How would I get into Law Review at the original school if I intend on transferring? I would apply to the write on at my original school AND my transfer and inform the possible transferring school that I was accepted..? Or are you asking about the transfer school, getting on that law review? I would write on for that, and apply only to transfer schools where that would be an option..
What he means is that if you had the grades to grade onto law review at your old school, you'd have the grades to transfer. There significant overlap between those two groups. Being on the law review without top 10 grades (like top 10 students in the class, not top 10%) is not going to do anything for your clerkship chances- law review only compounds an already stellar application, it can't get you a clerkship on its own.

My advice is really to start looking into other legal careers before making the choice to go to law school. Do you just want to help the little guy, or would you only be happy litigating consumer/antitrust/securities class actions in federal court against Latham and Mofo? There are other, more realistic ways to help the little guy and litigate without trying to break into such an elite practice area.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Mon May 26, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks Timbs you explained what I meant by my comment better than I did myself. OP just understand the likelihood of your goals based on the schools you are looking at. If you have a decent chance then choose one of the schools, but since you seem to want prestigious Prosecution (Big Law) your going to need a T-14 or UCLA/USC since it's for Southern California.

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Mon May 26, 2014 10:06 am

Everyone tries to do their best in law school, but it seemed like the kids who started school with the mindset of top 5%-or-bust had the worst time. That's a lot of pressure to put on yourself. If you gave me a choice between retaking or gunning for top grades, its retaking. All. Day. As someone who almost attended UIUC with the intent of transferring for 2L, might I recommend option B? UCLA with money was a lot less stress.

EDIT: BTW, I too entered law school a long time after undergrad. I didn't like the idea of waiting ANOTHER year. Just remember this decision will be with you for a lot longer than a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon May 26, 2014 10:15 am

onlyunholy wrote: Desires:
- Federal Clerkship
- Law Review/Moot Court
LOL

onlyunholy

Bronze

Post by onlyunholy » Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
- Federal Clerkship
- Law Review/Moot Court
LOL
Was that necessary?

I get it. I'm not going to transfer. And apparently, I won't get ANYTHING ELSE either -- thank you, TLS - I appreciate your help! :)

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat May 31, 2014 12:24 am

onlyunholy wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
- Federal Clerkship
- Law Review/Moot Court
LOL
Was that necessary?

I get it. I'm not going to transfer. And apparently, I won't get ANYTHING ELSE either -- thank you, TLS - I appreciate your help! :)
You might want to go back and reread the thread if that was your takeaway

krispymenudo

Bronze

Post by krispymenudo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:58 pm

onlyunholy wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
- Federal Clerkship
- Law Review/Moot Court
LOL
Was that necessary?

TLS is highly populated by the T14-or-bust and T20 for free or don't go kind of people who want to go into BigLaw or PI. It is hard to get the opinion of someone more open-minded on here. I suggest doing as much research as you can on your own, visit the schools, and choose somewhere you will be happy at for the next 3 years. (this is coming from someone in a similar situation to you) You won't really find anyone who will tell you to go to any of these schools on this site, but keep in mind these are also a lot of 0Ls giving you advice as well. Ask current students and alumni of the schools you are eyeing, especially the ones you are more heavily leaning towards. See what their "dismal" employment numbers are reflection of (poor education, poor network, crappy area for law practice, etc.).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:44 am

krispymenudo wrote:TLS is highly populated by the T14-or-bust and T20 for free or don't go kind of people who want to go into BigLaw or PI.
Straw man
krispymenudo wrote:You won't really find anyone who will tell you to go to any of these schools on this site, but keep in mind these are also a lot of 0Ls giving you advice as well.
Ad hom
krispymenudo wrote:Ask current students and alumni of the schools you are eyeing, especially the ones you are more heavily leaning towards.
Selection bias

Sick argument bro

krispymenudo

Bronze

Post by krispymenudo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:23 am

Max324 wrote:
krispymenudo wrote:TLS is highly populated by the T14-or-bust and T20 for free or don't go kind of people who want to go into BigLaw or PI.
Straw man
krispymenudo wrote:You won't really find anyone who will tell you to go to any of these schools on this site, but keep in mind these are also a lot of 0Ls giving you advice as well.
Ad hom
krispymenudo wrote:Ask current students and alumni of the schools you are eyeing, especially the ones you are more heavily leaning towards.
Selection bias

Sick argument bro
my point exactly. these are the people whose opinions you are basing a life choice off of

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:30 am

krispymenudo wrote:
Max324 wrote:
Straw man
Ad hom
Selection bias

Sick argument bro
my point exactly. these are the people whose opinions you are basing a life choice off of
I didn't give my opinion on his choice idiot. I'm just pointing out that your argument is stupid and no one should pay attention to it.

Why should OP base his decision on the opinion of someone who has to rely on complete misrepresentations to make his point?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:35 am

Sorry TLS isn't open-minded enough to believe that OP should needlessly set fire to thousands of dollars attending schools that clearly don't offer him a reasonable chance at achieving his stated goals tho

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

krispymenudo

Bronze

Post by krispymenudo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:44 am

OP, none of these schools will get your goals based on numbers alone. I won't laugh in your face, and the only opinion I will give you at this point is that if you want to retake, don't use [service] (they have some pretty hostile people representing them on the most popular law school forum)

krispymenudo

Bronze

Post by krispymenudo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:45 am

krispymenudo wrote:OP, none of these schools will get your goals based on numbers alone. I won't laugh in your face, and the only opinion I will give you at this point is that if you want to retake, don't use [service] (they have some pretty hostile people representing them on the most popular law school forum)
inb4 "Selection bias"

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:48 am

krispymenudo wrote:and the only opinion I will give you at this point is that if you want to retake, don't use [service] (they have some pretty hostile people representing them on the most popular law school forum)
I wholeheartedly agree with this point.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:05 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:08 pm

I will echo everyone else's sentiments: you shouldn't go to any of these schools in this legal market.

But if you must, USD would make sense to me. I'm from San Diego, and I know USD has a pretty good reputation and alumni base there. An upside to the (very small) SD legal market is that you are only directly competing with Cal Western and TJSL, two of the worst schools in the nation. No one takes them seriously, so being at the top of the class at USD is a decent place to be in that regard. But plenty of people want to move to SD so the competition is stiff.

Nonetheless, the job prospects from USD as abysmal. I wouldn't go there for free. If you are committed to the <1% chance you'll get a fed clerkship from there, I know there are at least some S.D. Cal. judges who hire almost exclusively from USD.

yunjh1066

New

Post by yunjh1066 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi! May I ask what your GPA and LSAT score was?

USD and Loyola are the schools that I aim for as well with those money.

Thanks

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:59 pm

yunjh1066 wrote:Hi! May I ask what your GPA and LSAT score was?

USD and Loyola are the schools that I aim for as well with those money.

Thanks
Lol those money. Quality students attracted to these schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”