Fordham vs. BC vs. UNC vs. Miami Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go?

Fordham
35%
BC
43%
UNC
17%
Miami
4%

Total votes: 23

JDtoKSt

New

Fordham vs. BC vs. UNC vs. Miami

Post by JDtoKSt » Tue May 20, 2014 11:36 am

Below
Last edited by JDtoKSt on Tue May 20, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Re: Fordham vs. BC vs. UNC vs. Miami

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:38 am

JDtoKSt wrote:I know similar topics have been posted for public polling before:

Fordham/BC/UNC: Similar COA. (All debt less than $90,000)
Miami: Nearly full-ride. (Debt less than $18,000)

Hope to end up working in DC, where I do have ties. Not interested in corporate law.
More interested in employment law, personal injury, etc.
Which would you choose? Just a couple days to decide..
Retake and ED GW for $$$.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Tue May 20, 2014 11:39 am

None give you a good enough shot at DC.
All are regionals.
Where do you want to practice?
Go there.

Where would I choose?
UNC - because I'm from the Carolinas.

hopeful 0L

New

Post by hopeful 0L » Tue May 20, 2014 11:43 am

If DC is the goal, why are GW and Georgetown not options? Or even William & Mary or W&L on near-fulls?

JDtoKSt

New

Post by JDtoKSt » Tue May 20, 2014 11:49 am

Got into 2 of those schools.
A. Too much $
B. I already have ties to DC, I'd like to live somewhere else for a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue May 20, 2014 11:55 am

JDtoKSt wrote: B. I already have ties to DC, I'd like to live somewhere else for a bit.
I don't think DC really cares all that much about ties, and law school isn't a good time to live somewhere else just because you want some variety. If you just want to expand your horizons for a year or two, go do that and then reenage with law school.

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:57 am

JDtoKSt wrote:Got into 2 of those schools.
I already have ties to DC, I'd like to live somewhere else for a bit.
This is a reason to go a t-14, not a reason to go to a strong regional for someone who is interested in biglaw. Small law jobs are hard to find, and its tough to hustle from out of market. Unless you have a personal injury or employment lawyer who has promised you a job in writing after law school, I would retake for a full ride at GW. Heck for small law, go to GMU or American for free. Rankings are meaningless.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Tue May 20, 2014 12:09 pm

If you can get into Fordham and BC, you can get into GW. Might as well go with GW.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue May 20, 2014 12:19 pm

I have to agree with the posters who are saying these are regional schools that won't help you with DC. GULC or GW would seem the obvious choices.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dsamuels

Bronze

Post by dsamuels » Tue May 20, 2014 12:30 pm

Since everyone is suggesting you go to a school which you have not listed or do not seem to want to go to I will actually help you choose a school that you have listed. If you want DC from the choices you have listed above, the best option would be either BC or Fordham. I feel if you had the opportunity to visit both, your decision might be easier.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Tue May 20, 2014 12:34 pm

dsamuels wrote:Since everyone is suggesting you go to a school which you have not listed or do not seem to want to go to I will actually help you choose a school that you have listed. If you want DC from the choices you have listed above, the best option would be either BC or Fordham. I feel if you had the opportunity to visit both, your decision might be easier.
For the record, I suggested he go wherever he wants to practice or has most significant ties.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue May 20, 2014 1:16 pm

dsamuels wrote:Since everyone is suggesting you go to a school which you have not listed or do not seem to want to go to I will actually help you choose a school that you have listed. If you want DC from the choices you have listed above, the best option would be either BC or Fordham. I feel if you had the opportunity to visit both, your decision might be easier.
Why in the world would you suggest someone spend 90K at Fordham or BC if they want small firm work in DC?

That's reckless bro, please don't do that

dsamuels

Bronze

Post by dsamuels » Tue May 20, 2014 1:27 pm

HRomanus, I did not mean to include you, you did give relevant advice and answered his question. Everyone replying has truly given great advice.
However, he asked which option he should choose. HRomanus you did answer this question. To BigZuck, he knows the risk. It does not matter how much you try to give rational advice my friend. His best options would truly be to do what the other posters said. Retake, choose GW or W&L or W&M etc.... Yet, he did not list those as possibilities. Rather, he wanted us to select from his list what schools would be best for his goals. If he wanted information on whether he should retake or apply to schools not listed then he would have added that. But he wants one of these schools, so I chose ones, in my opinion the ones that would help him out the most. He already understands the debt issue or he would not have posted those schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yung Yoda

New

Post by Yung Yoda » Tue May 20, 2014 1:31 pm

dsamuels wrote:HRomanus, I did not mean to include you, you did give relevant advice and answered his question. Everyone replying has truly given great advice.
However, he asked which option he should choose. HRomanus you did answer this question. To BigZuck, he knows the risk. It does not matter how much you try to give rational advice my friend. His best options would truly be to do what the other posters said. Retake, choose GW or W&L or W&M etc.... Yet, he did not list those as possibilities. Rather, he wanted us to select from his list what schools would be best for his goals. If he wanted information on whether he should retake or apply to schools not listed then he would have added that. But he wants one of these schools, so I chose ones, in my opinion the ones that would help him out the most. He already understands the debt issue or he would not have posted those schools.
Hmmmm agree with this I do. UNC or BC best choices they would be.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Tue May 20, 2014 1:34 pm

dsamuels wrote:HRomanus, I did not mean to include you, you did give relevant advice and answered his question. Everyone replying has truly given great advice.
TLS definitely has a problem with ignoring an OPs initial question and going directly to advising retake. Most people will not retake, so helping them choose the best option from a list of bad options is the best we can do.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Check location data on LST
For whatever school you're considering, click on Jobs Data, then Location
That gives you a sense of where grads are ending up

Also chiming in to say these aren't good options for what you want to do, but the data suggests UNC is the most likely of the bunch to get you to DC

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue May 20, 2014 2:03 pm

HRomanus wrote:
TLS definitely has a problem with ignoring an OPs initial question and going directly to advising retake. Most people will not retake, so helping them choose the best option from a list of bad options is the best we can do.
That's dumb. Keeping your mouth shut>>>>>>than helping them make a bad decision.

Talking the guy down>>>>>>sitting around with a thumb up your butt>>>>>>pushing him off the bridge.

Come on bros.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yung Yoda

New

Post by Yung Yoda » Tue May 20, 2014 2:26 pm

BigZuck wrote:
HRomanus wrote:
That's dumb. Keeping your mouth shut>>>>>>than helping them make a bad decision.

Talking the guy down>>>>>>sitting around with a thumb up your butt>>>>>>pushing him off the bridge.

Come on bros.

Hmmmmm not So BigZuck. Made a decision on attending one of these schools OP has. A final decision from this list it appears he wants. Already knows the dangers he does. HRomanus and dsamuels simply answering OP's question they are. There mouths are not shut, advice all over TLS and this thread there is. Poster already knows the dangers, continuing to reiterate dangers no help it will give. Helping him choose the best place to go from his choices we can.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Yung Yoda wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
HRomanus wrote:

Come on bros.

Hmmmmm not So BigZuck. Made a decision on attending one of these schools OP has. A final decision from this list it appears he wants. Already knows the dangers he does. HRomanus and dsamuels simply answering OP's question they are. There mouths are not shut, advice all over TLS and this thread there is. Poster already knows the dangers, continuing to reiterate dangers no help it will give. Helping him choose the best place to go from his choices we can.
Wow

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Tue May 20, 2014 2:46 pm

BigZuck wrote:
HRomanus wrote:TLS definitely has a problem with ignoring an OPs initial question and going directly to advising retake. Most people will not retake, so helping them choose the best option from a list of bad options is the best we can do.

Come on bros.
I would guess that most OPs posting here come 100% set on attending law school. The concept of waiting and retaking is either completely foriegn or has been rejected becuase they are comfortable with their choices. The "retake lol" mantra on TLS is (in most cases) not going to move them to reconsider. They'll just reject the advice because it is so contrary to their position and go to someone who reaffirms them. The better alternative is to respectfully remind them of the benefits of retaking after letting them know which option they've presented is the best.

dsamuels

Bronze

Post by dsamuels » Tue May 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Wow x 10. Thank u? I understand what BigZuck is saying, and yes you are correct. I was just trying to help him out from his already selected choices. (PS. If yoda keeps this up for more than a week I will be amazed. That was actually not bad hahahah)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue May 20, 2014 3:10 pm

HRomanus wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
HRomanus wrote:TLS definitely has a problem with ignoring an OPs initial question and going directly to advising retake. Most people will not retake, so helping them choose the best option from a list of bad options is the best we can do.

Come on bros.
I would guess that most OPs posting here come 100% set on attending law school. The concept of waiting and retaking is either completely foriegn or has been rejected becuase they are comfortable with their choices. The "retake lol" mantra on TLS is (in most cases) not going to move them to reconsider. They'll just reject the advice because it is so contrary to their position and go to someone who reaffirms them. The better alternative is to respectfully remind them of the benefits of retaking after letting them know which option they've presented is the best.
All options are equally bad, none make any sense. Also, your butthurt against TLS is very weird to me. Oh well.

OP, you're doing it wrong. If you want a break from real life go move to another country or something. Law school is not the time for a change of pace, especially given the state of the job market right now.

JDtoKSt

New

Post by JDtoKSt » Tue May 20, 2014 3:34 pm

I do appreciate the input from dsamuels and Romanus.

Extended family member runs a firm, not particularly as concerned about the legal job market - more concerned about where I'd receive the best education, which schools offer the best clinic/experiential programs, which is the most prestigious, etc.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue May 20, 2014 3:41 pm

JDtoKSt wrote:I do appreciate the input from dsamuels and Romanus.

Extended family member runs a firm, not particularly as concerned about the legal job market - more concerned about where I'd receive the best education, which schools offer the best clinic/experiential programs, which is the most prestigious, etc.
I'm guessing the Rule against Perpetuities will be taught equally well at all of the above so I wouldn't worry about educational quality.

Not sure about clinical programs and no one has done clinics at both schools, seems like Google would help you best there. Just figure out which clinics sound neat to you.

What is prestige and why does it matter? Also, none of these schools are prestigious so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

If you're just going to take a guaranteed job at a family firm, just go to whichever will leave you with the least debt.

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:44 pm

JDtoKSt wrote:I do appreciate the input from dsamuels and Romanus.

Go to Miami if your family member can guarantee a job and enjoy the sun and cheap COL.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”