Final decisions for this cycle Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
drawstring

Gold

Final decisions for this cycle

Post by drawstring » Mon May 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Thank you!
Last edited by drawstring on Tue May 20, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Merylian

Silver

Re: Final decisions for this cycle

Post by Merylian » Mon May 19, 2014 6:46 pm

If your GPA is above everyone's 75ths, and your LSAT is 99th percentile, it kind of sounds like you underperformed your numbers scholarship-wise. Seems like you should have gotten a better deal at a lower T14. You are also sound uncomfortable with the debt you'd incur by starting at Chicago this year.

Since you've already got a decent paying job, sitting out a year really can't hurt. Law school isn't going anywhere. You can take some time to get some work experience in, maybe stash some money, and apply again as soon as applications open up if you're still feeling like law school is the way to go.

It's a really big, really pricey decision. No reason to make it in haste if you're not feeling good about it right now.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon May 19, 2014 7:00 pm

What do you mean by applying more broadly? If there were T14s you didn't hit up, I would definitely give next year another go. I would take a full ride at any T14 over 90k at Chicago.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon May 19, 2014 7:02 pm

Crowing wrote:What do you mean by applying more broadly? If there were T14s you didn't hit up, I would definitely give next year another go. I would take a full ride at any T14 over 90k at Chicago.
I applied to 7 (I know) of the T14. Next cycle I'd apply to all of them, except maybe GTown.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Mon May 19, 2014 7:04 pm

drawstring wrote:
Crowing wrote:What do you mean by applying more broadly? If there were T14s you didn't hit up, I would definitely give next year another go. I would take a full ride at any T14 over 90k at Chicago.
I applied to 7 (I know) of the T14. Next cycle I'd apply to all of them, except maybe GTown.
The lower t14 full ride plus a year of savings seems like where you want to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon May 19, 2014 7:07 pm

drawstring wrote:
Damn. Yeah, I'd definitely reapply dude.

dcpanther

New

Post by dcpanther » Mon May 19, 2014 9:11 pm

Last edited by dcpanther on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon May 19, 2014 9:34 pm

It's not enough scholarship even for uchi which is a fine school.

FinalFour

New

Post by FinalFour » Mon May 19, 2014 10:07 pm

First of all, let me know if you want me to delete anything I wrote. I know you do not want too much info about your situation floating around, so I'm trying to keep it vague in case someone stumbles across this later.

I think it is pretty clear you should reapply if you feel like you would regret not doing so. You are getting screwed pretty hard. I scored 3 points lower on the LSAT than you and have an identical gpa essentially and got 90k from the school you are considering. I think you could definitely get more money out of them. However, over a half tuition scholarship from a perennial top 5 school isn't exactly an atrocious outcome. Crowing would know better than I would when analyzing how desirable of an outcome that is though.

Also, how the heck is your estimated debt so high given the situation you described? I don't see how that could be, even with interest included. That would be literally the worst possible scenario (max expenses and literally no money being put in by you). The estimated budget has a couple of one time expenses that shouldn't be included in additional years. For example, the extra money for a computer. It also seems more than feasible to live under the estimated budget from what I have looked at and from what I have heard. Plus, a 2L SA position seems very likely coming out of that school, if you are gunning for that. Again, Crowing would know better than I would though.

I wish you the best of luck, no matter what you decide. I know this cycle hasn't gone according to plan for you. I think you will be successful regardless of what you decide. If you are unsatisfied and want to give it another go, then give it another go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon May 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Draw, I think you should reapply. Even if you ultimately end up at Chi next year with 90k again, I think that, one, you'll be able to save some money this year to keep your debt a bit lower, but two, I think you'll be happier knowing your outcome from trying again.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:53 am

Dude, you are one of the most angsty/indecisive posters on TLS this cycle. That's not meant to be insulting - it pretty obviously stems from the fact that you're not happy with your options.

You obviously underperformed, obviously don't have choices that you LOVE, and you're K-JD. Sit out and reapply early/often. This is a no-brainer.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Tue May 20, 2014 3:04 am

Thanks for all the responses guys. I've always been leaning towards reapplying, but I lately I've been leaning more towards it, though not to the point of certainty. It's just hard to give up on the cycle when I was so hopeful coming into it, and as mentioned, Chicago at 90k is not exactly a bad option and I don't want it to seem like I'm scoffing at that. As far as the debt issue, I keep getting about 170k using LS's calculator, and I'm pretty sure I'm not making errors. I'm assuming the full COA budget given by the university though, and I could probably cut down on that a bit.

As for me being antsy, it's hard to dispute that. That's not usually me but my expectations (which were particularly high at HLS due to the quick interview request--which is one reason why I took the lack of acceptance there especially hard) for the cycle contributed to numerous letdowns, which were compounded by having to wait a long time for decisions at several schools, three of which prolonged the waiting by waitlisting me. I think spending a lot of time on here also contributed to it, and I plan to visit significantly less next cycle.

I think a number of you also make good points about not having regret about how things went. At this point I think I probably would be regretful if nothing more happened with my cycle and I didn't give it another shot. It's only one more year and I can get WE and do other good things during that time.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Tue May 20, 2014 3:08 am

Don't NU ED admits get full schollys?

Anyway, I'd go with Chicago this year.

You could get a full scholly somewhere in the T14 next cycle--since I think this cycle was a bit weird in that we had a ~10% uptick in 175+ applicants--but you'd lose a year of salary.

Waiting a year with 90k at Chicago is not worth it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Tue May 20, 2014 9:04 am

IIRC, your numbers are in Ruby/Hamilton range. I would definitely sit this year out, build savings, and go over your app with a fine-toothed comb. Aside from maybe later apps, I cannot understand how you only got the offers you did. Reapplying with a more polished application is the way to go.

FinalFour

New

Post by FinalFour » Tue May 20, 2014 11:14 am

I may have been a little extreme when I said there was no possible way it would cost that much. I will say that I think there is no way it is going to cost that much if you live reasonably. I apologize for making the assumption that you would likely be putting in some of your own money. Each person's financial situation is different and I have absolutely no idea what you can/can't do. Even then you might not be willing to spend some savings or family money.

Anyway, I totally understand wanting to reapply. However, I'm not so sure 90k at Chicago is guaranteed again if you say no this cycle. UChi does place a higher percentage of its class into higher ranked firms (let alone a higher big law rate regardless of "firm prestige") and prestigious clerkships (usually) than most of the top 14. This may or may not be important to you, especially since money sounds like the most important factor in your decision as of today. Only you can evaluate how important every factor at play here is to you. It really sounds like you want to try again, though. It seems to me like you desperately want to give it another go, so I say do it. Even if all you get out of it is knowing you tried again, it might be worth it for the sake of your happiness.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Tue May 20, 2014 11:18 am

I vote reapply.

The year of WE will look good, you'll have a better understanding o life in the real world, you'll bank some money.

Have you used the career services at your school to practice interviewing? I did that, and would strongly recommend it. You can give them a list of questions to ask, then they'll talk through any answers you stumbled on, and perhaps help ou build a tread that goes throughout the whole interview.

Also I though I saw that some reapplicants at H were told H likes the dedication.

But, if you're certain you want to go now, I think 90 at Chicago is a great option.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 am

scoobers wrote:Draw, I think you should reapply. Even if you ultimately end up at Chi next year with 90k again, I think that, one, you'll be able to save some money this year to keep your debt a bit lower, but two, I think you'll be happier knowing your outcome from trying again.
Completely agree that you should reapply given your lack of enthusiasm about this option, your significant underperformance, and the fact that you have a good-paying job lined up (I would actually take 2 cycles off if I were in your situation). Law school will always be there, but once you decide to go, there's no turning back (at least not without incurring massive sunk costs and adversely affecting your future career). Blanket the T14 early and have TLS (and/or a consultant) read your statements.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stewart23

New

Post by stewart23 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:31 am

scoobers wrote:Draw, I think you should reapply. Even if you ultimately end up at Chi next year with 90k again,
FinalFour wrote:However, I'm not so sure 90k at Chicago is guaranteed again if you say no this cycle.
Is there anything besides anecdotal data on this point? Is OP likely to see these numbers (or hopefully better) from Chicago in the next cycle?

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue May 20, 2014 11:45 am

Imo the main thing here is OP only applied to 7 of the T14. It's not like he covered them all and didn't end up with anything better than 90k, in which case I'd probably recommend to just go because 90k is good and reapplying without any significant changes is unlikely to change your outcomes much. But in this case though OP might not get a Ruby, a full-ride or close to it next cycle at UVA/Mich/Cornell/etc. seems like a strong possibility, and I think that's definitely worth a shot.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Tue May 20, 2014 11:51 am

Given that OP is prudently debt-averse, has great numbers, and a good job lined up with prospects for a better one, the path here is very straightforward:

(1) Work for two years at either the present job ($3K per month post-tax) or the better possibility.

(2) Save $1K a month (very doable if the job isn't in a super expensive city).

(3) Apply with a significantly stronger overall app in 2016, which will probably yield at least one full ride at a lower T-14 in a low cost area.

(4) Save a few thousand from an SA.

(5) Graduate debt-free.

That's a drastically better outcome than graduating three years from now from Chicago with $170K in debt.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue May 20, 2014 11:55 am

stewart23 wrote:
scoobers wrote:Draw, I think you should reapply. Even if you ultimately end up at Chi next year with 90k again,
FinalFour wrote:However, I'm not so sure 90k at Chicago is guaranteed again if you say no this cycle.
Is there anything besides anecdotal data on this point? Is OP likely to see these numbers (or hopefully better) from Chicago in the next cycle?
I have four friends who applied this cycle with 172/4.0ish (so slightly lower LSAT than draw, effectively same GPA). Of those, 2 got Rubies, 1 got the Cafaro, and 1 got $120K at Chicago. Thus, I would say that with an improved application and better interviewing skills (note: I have no idea about your interviewing skills, draw, but it's not uncommon for KJDs to struggle on that front), I would say he's likely to get more money.

eta: yeah, just do what Campos said.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue May 20, 2014 11:58 am

Someone mentioned NU ED already, but here to second that. Alternatively, Cornell and UVA (if you're well above both medians, which it sounds like you are) should pony up some serious money as well.

Apply early, work for a year.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 20, 2014 3:01 pm

I generally agree with Campos' recommendation.

However, when you get off the WL at Harvard, will you attend at sticker? Because then turning down $90K at Chicago, a better outcome, would be logically ridiculous.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Tue May 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”