PSA: forget about specialties or professors--take the money Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jdmonkey

Bronze

Re: PSA: forget about specialties or professors--take the money

Post by jdmonkey » Fri May 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:
NYSprague wrote:Well if your dad is paying and all his friends thinks Harvard is the way to go, why are you even arguing. You should have just said that in the first place.

I think the move to argue against Harvard and then take someone's spot off the wait list is one of the funniest things I've read about here.

I'm sure your classmates will be excited about that!
+1 If your dad is willing to pay for H then just go, especially since he seems enthusiastic about you attending. Nobody is going to argue that H isn't a good investment. The only counter is that you may receive less of an inheritance, but that money will be almost be negligible if you discount it (35-40 years?) to calculate the net present value of $x today versus $x 40 years from now.
Do you have any idea what the concept of NPV is? Here's a hint: It's based on opportunity costs. Now go back and figure out, if you can, why you should never try to give people financial advice ever again.
I'm sorry for interrupting your game of hackey sack. Do you smoke pot and wear beanies when you give financial advice? Based on the saving rate in this country there likely wouldn't be any law school savings left to discount. What else did you find on google when you were looking up NPV? You will always be a loser regardless of what law school you go to because nobody follows assholes. Middle management for life. Now go fetch me a pitch book you minion.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Sat May 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Haha, since manu decided to disabled PM's, I guess I will reply to his PM here.

No, I am not wondering why Harvard admitted you specifically, but rather how such a large batch of assholes could all be in one class. I think this may be a function of the large class size, and TLS's recent turn against HYS at sticker brings assholes out of the woodwork to defend themselves against imaginary attacks.

Frankly, I don't give a shit what your options were or why you chose Harvard. I'm all for people following their dreams, even if they may not be the most fiscally sensible decision.

I think you are an asshole because you came into this thread and started attacking people for no reason. You came across as a naive prestige whore from the beginning, but your combative attitude toward people who are trying to help is disgusting.

I did not ED to Chicago, but I appreciate the thought and care you put into checking up on me. I am quite happy with the decision I made, and even without "rich parents" I think I'll be fine. Thanks for your condescending concern, though!

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM again. If you open up your inbox maybe we can chat.

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:35 pm

Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Dude, you don't want people to consider someone off the waitlist "dummies," yet you make fun of people for going to a school that's not Harvard? Pot, meet kettle.

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:50 pm

Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 9:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sun May 25, 2014 12:03 am

manu6926 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Dude, you don't want people to consider someone off the waitlist "dummies," yet you make fun of people for going to a school that's not Harvard? Pot, meet kettle.
No I didn't. I really didn't begin this shit. You mean "if you were one of those NU grads in biglaw" to radlulz? That wasn't meant to disparage NU. I was criticizing those NU grads on TLS that look down upon 0Ls and think every OL wants a biglaw job as their goal.

Make fun of people that's not Harvard? NO then why would I still like schools that are not H? I still think Columbia is a brilliant awesome school (NYU, Chicago Berkeley etc too in fact but all these are personally not worth sticker I think personally. I wouldn't have gone to law school if Columbia and Chicago didn't offer me money and if I didn't get into H eventually). If you people have some inferiority complex that's not my problem.

To assume that my parents are rich and that I am spoiled from the fact that my parents are paying is wrong too. I'm not going to go deep but my family is not rich.
Perhaps Harvard can teach you the phrase my mother used to say: you are just digging yourself in deeper hole, so stop.
Also when people have to repeatedly tell you that you are coming across quite badly, you need to stop being so defensive and maybe consider they are right.

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:05 am

Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:07 am

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 25, 2014 12:15 am

manu6926 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Dude, you don't want people to consider someone off the waitlist "dummies," yet you make fun of people for going to a school that's not Harvard? Pot, meet kettle.
No I didn't. I really didn't begin this shit. You mean "if you were one of those NU grads in biglaw" to radlulz? That wasn't meant to disparage NU. I was criticizing those NU grads on TLS that look down upon 0Ls and think every OL wants a biglaw job as their goal.

Make fun of people that's not Harvard? NO then why would I still like schools that are not H? I still think Columbia is a brilliant awesome school (NYU, Chicago Berkeley etc too in fact but all these are personally not worth sticker I think personally. I wouldn't have gone to law school if Columbia and Chicago didn't offer me money and if I didn't get into H eventually). If you people have some inferiority complex that's not my problem.

To assume that my parents are rich and that I am spoiled from the fact that my parents are paying is wrong too. I'm not going to go deep but my family is not rich.
I was referring to this:
manu6926 wrote:deleted by request

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:17 am

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Sun May 25, 2014 12:19 am

Is manu trying to test the assumption that HLS would never revoke admission for things posted on TLS

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:22 am

Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Sun May 25, 2014 12:24 am

manu6926 wrote:
DELG wrote:Is manu trying to test the assumption that HLS would never revoke admission for things posted on TLS
What that "NorthwesTTTern" remark? That's unfair. DF and I were PMing each other at the time.
For the body of idiotic work

Insulting other schools isn't really a big deal, people obviously do it all the time

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:26 am

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun May 25, 2014 12:41 am

Give it a rest, bro. I haven't read through this thread, but everyone here seems to think you suck. And by getting overly defensive, you're just confirming their beliefs. So if your goal here is to save face (for both you and Hahvad, which you have so prominently associated with), just stop replying. Maybe read a book or make a sandwich or something.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:54 am

TBF I did egg him on. So he's right he didn't start it.

But I did know he'd go crazy. The HLS inferiority complex is well known. You never run out of lulz better on HLSers to have crippling insecurities.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun May 25, 2014 1:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:TBF I did egg him on. So he's right he didn't start it.

But I did know he'd go crazy. The HLS inferiority complex is well known. You never run out of lulz better on HLSers to have crippling insecurities.
This. It's because most at H are all so keenly aware that they didn't get into Yale. The fact that laymen and family are always like "this is X, he goes to the best law school in the country" make it much worse. Plus the big student body; everyone has something to prove.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Sun May 25, 2014 1:27 am

If getting in off wait list at H makes you a second class citizen what are legacies and URMs? According to your logic would this make them servants or some crap?

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:34 am

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 25, 2014 2:04 am

jdmonkey wrote:If getting in off wait list at H makes you a second class citizen what are legacies and URMs? According to your logic would this make them servants or some crap?
Outted yourself as a waitlister. Damn your breed is like half a step above transfers.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sun May 25, 2014 2:06 am

Manu, you're not a second-class citizen because you were admitted off the waitlist, but you are one because you're a legit shit person. I have to wonder if the reason someone with your numbers was waitlisted in the first was because you came off as a prestige-whoring douche in your interview and application, too.

You say you're not a prestige whore and your decision to attend H wasn't hard, but you literally found every H vs X thread in the choosing forum and advocated against H. You posted earlier in the thread about Stanford's lack of prestige in Asia (this post was edited and changed). You bashed successful practicing lawyers whose honest advice has helped countless prospective law students (myself included) for attending a school that you view as beneath yours and think having high numbers is just cause for looking down on others. And you name-drop "Cambridge" in every other sentence you post here. We have all worked hard to get where we are now. That doesn't entitle you to being a condescending prick.

I really don't think it will take long for our classmates to realize that you a truly are a second-class citizen as a person (you're off to a great start already!). If the first thirty seconds of talking to you doesn't make it evident enough, hearing you rip the pages of library books will do the trick.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jkhalfa

Bronze

Post by jkhalfa » Sun May 25, 2014 2:30 am

manu6926 wrote:To assume that my parents are rich and that I am spoiled from the fact that my parents are paying is wrong too. I'm not going to go deep but my family is not rich.
So you have an extra quarter million dollars lying around, but you're not rich? Okay bro.

This thread is absolutely hilarious though. TLS drama is delicious.

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sun May 25, 2014 3:51 am

6lehderjets

Bronze

Post by 6lehderjets » Sun May 25, 2014 3:57 am

Last edited by 6lehderjets on Mon May 26, 2014 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:02 am

Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”