Is GULC at a 90k discount worth it? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PDX4343

Silver

Re: Is GULC at a 90k discount worth it?

Post by PDX4343 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:27 pm

DELG wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
bk1 wrote:You can't just live apart from your wife for 10 weeks during the summer and then have her move with you after school?
Yeah. Doing this currently. It sucks, but it's 10 weeks, man.
My husband and I lived in different cities for 5 months. While I was pregnant/had a newborn.

Plus lots of people who try to get their SA in a particular city fail to do so any end up in some other city. Depending on what the COAs end up being, some buttercups may need to suck it up.
I think this buttercup will just have to suck it up then.

CknNgtz

New

Post by CknNgtz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:30 pm

OP, sorry to necro but FWIW, I received ~$140K from GULC. Substantially more than offers I received from Duke and Cornell. Just to provide a different perspective. From what others are saying, I may have just gotten lucky. Hope you do as well.

misanthrope

New

Post by misanthrope » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Also sorry to necro, but GULC is no different from any other lower T14 with an IP background. The class size (the primary factor, plus some self-selection, that keeps GULC's biglaw rate down in the aggregate), simply ceases to become a factor because of the absurdly low proportion of people with CS/EE/even Bio degrees. I had 2 V100 Biglaw SA offers for IP lit with a clearly below median GPA when I was a 1L last year.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:01 pm

I can't say anything about the IP market slowing down or not, but this seems to be an area where grades are legitimately less important. Work experience and URM status seem to only be a plus if you're already above a firm's cutoff. But for IP people who are eligible for the patent bar, firms truly will dip below median even at T25-ish schools.

It's simply a factor of limited supply. There's just not enough patent bar-eligible people in the top third of T14 schools.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:11 pm

JCougar wrote:I can't say anything about the IP market slowing down or not, but this seems to be an area where grades are legitimately less important. Work experience and URM status seem to only be a plus if you're already above a firm's cutoff. But for IP people who are eligible for the patent bar, firms truly will dip below median even at T25-ish schools.

It's simply a factor of limited supply. There's just not enough patent bar-eligible people in the top third of T14 schools.
+1
That being said, patent eligible does not always mean you'll be swimming in offers.
I know some people who had a bachelor's in bio and other non-engineering areas. They had "trouble" getting IP jobs. The real demand is in EE or the like.
I think GULC at 90k for IP is a pretty good option for OP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:53 am

It's one thing to predict admissions based on numbers -- there's a strong correlation there. Scholarship offers, however, are much less predictable and based on a lot of luck and intangibles. I didn't get any money from GULC, but I got significant offers at both higher and lower ranked schools. The admissions process was predictable for me but scholarships just sort of happened where they happened. That's the benefit of applying widely and gathering leverage offers wherever they happen to spring up.

This is way too speculative -- apply broadly, receive scholarship offers, then post for a more valuable conversation about your options.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:59 am

You've said you need to be able to go to school and SA in the same city. This a presents a problem. DC is the hardest market to break into. 40% of Georgetown grads might get biglaw, but I wouldn't want to be sitting at median dead set on interviewing exclusively in DC. Second, I don't know if DC has a large market for the particular type of IP work you're trying to do. If it doesn't then living in DC after graduation isn't really an option for you.

misanthrope

New

Post by misanthrope » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Just a small correction: Georgetown put about 46-50% into Biglaw in class of 2013 (previous poster did not add fedclerkships, which you always have to do to gauge placement power, especially for T14 schools; I at least have never met anyone with a A3 clerkship who did not also have biglaw offers). That proportion also excludes what might be a statistically significant group of PI and FedGov people who could have gotten biglaw but chose not to. Realistically, I'd say you have about a 60% chance of getting biglaw from median WITHOUT IP. And with EE or CS, as I said earlier, I'd say you have the closest thing to a guarantee of biglaw that you could possibly have (again, this is true at every T14 school). The detrimental effect of GULC's class size (and class sizes have gotten significantly smaller and hopefully will continue to do so) does not implicate you because there are VERY FEW people at GULC with hard science backgrounds who are able to compete for IP Only gigs (interview:bid ratios for these offices during OCI are very close to 1:1). I know most of the IP Law society kids at GULC socially, and the ones whose grades I do know range from bottom third to top third. EVERYONE has biglaw.

I myself was noticeably (though not abysmally, say ~bottom 40%) below median my first semester but did 5 CBs with V100 firms. Am finishing my first summer at the DC office of one of these now.

Also, while what the previous poster says about DC biglaw being hard to break into is generally true, I have not found this to be the case for IP practice groups at all. Remember that DC probably has the highest concentration of patent law practices in the country (surpassing even Palo Alto). I think the scarcity of top law students with EE-like backgrounds pretty much neutralizes the general difficulty of the DC market for prospective patent lawyers.

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Yes to GT

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”