Why does everyone hate American University so much? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ManoftheHour

Gold

Re: Why does everyone hate American University so much?

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue May 06, 2014 11:21 pm

If you go to American, you've gone full retard.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed May 07, 2014 12:01 am

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Wed May 07, 2014 2:06 am

Somehow I got waitlisted here with a 167/3.3 :lol:

sighsigh

Bronze

Post by sighsigh » Wed May 07, 2014 2:18 am

NYC2012 wrote:I think another reason is they let their median LSAT plummet so they could still have a large class, even when most of their grads aren't getting jobs. The true mark of a TTT.
*cough* GWU.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed May 07, 2014 4:46 am

In addition to everything else (int'l law marketing, cost, placement), I think "American" is a stupid name.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Wed May 07, 2014 6:11 am

BigJimboOrleans wrote:I'm definitely considering just retaking and maybe getting an MS in the meantime. Yes, NIST does hire JD (I check usajobs.gov almost daily looking at the jobs I hope to get) and they go up to GS-15 (~$149k). I honestly do appreciate all of the clear answers. I wasn't trying to be an ass when I questioned the statistics - I'm a research oriented student of science, I like to see the evidence and source. Without a doubt I am reevaluating my options now.
So you have a science background? Consider IP law at GW. Although mind you, I'm heading there and even the employment prospects make me nervous. Just retake. If you score higher you will have a lot more options opened up.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:31 am

I applied because I had an app fee waiver. I was well over both medians and they have me $10,000 a year to attend law school hell. So there you go.

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Wed May 07, 2014 8:11 am

BigJimboOrleans wrote:I'm definitely considering just retaking and maybe getting an MS in the meantime. Yes, NIST does hire JD (I check usajobs.gov almost daily looking at the jobs I hope to get) and they go up to GS-15 (~$149k). I honestly do appreciate all of the clear answers. I wasn't trying to be an ass when I questioned the statistics - I'm a research oriented student of science, I like to see the evidence and source. Without a doubt I am reevaluating my options now.
Dude, if you're really serious about shooting for jobs that open up once every 3-4 years at the intersection of science and law, get some work experience at university/government technology licensing offices instead of getting the MS (autm.net). You don't need an MS to land these jobs.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed May 07, 2014 8:21 am

InTheHouse wrote: jobs that open up once every 3-4 years at the intersection of science and law.
Yup. Anyone who wants to work in federal government, especially in a very specific capacity, needs to be aware that government hiring in most areas is a trickle because of budgets. You may be qualified and they may want to hire you, but if there's no money in the budget to fill/create a vacancy, you're hosed.

OP, you'd be much better off trying to get a job in one of those agencies and studying for an LSAT retake. It's way easier to move around in government once you're in the system, and if you're in the DC area there's always GULC/GW part time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:14 am

The Dark Shepard wrote:Somehow I got waitlisted here with a 167/3.3 :lol:
They YP like a mother too.

OP, it's hard to look at this:
BigJimboOrleans wrote:All of you seem to have the same theme that the employment stats are "lies" or faked in some way. Could you provide any evidence/info on this? I'm really down to the wire now choosing between there and UMaryland. End goal is to work for Gov/Sci (NIST/FDA/ETC) in DC/MD area (not baltimore)
in the same thread as this:
BigJimboOrleans wrote:Honest question. I keep going over their ABA employment reports for the last couple years and they seem on par with the rest of the 35-50 schools. Yet I am hearing nothing but hate and "STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS". I really don't understand. Just looking for a serious explanation here by someone who actually has some authority over the subject (practicing attorney, recruiter, alumni) and preferably not looking to hear from any other 0Ls or t14 prestige chasers.
You need to understand that you cannot trust American or any other law school. You think you can because you've been raised in America with everyone from your mom to Obama telling you that institutions of higher education (especially PRIVATE SCHOOLS) are genteel respectable organizations that have your best interests at heart. That's wrong. They are desperate to sell you. Ever seen Glengarry Glen Ross? It's like that right now. You are a walking student loan conduit.

Law schools haven't behaved very well in response to the crisis, but American is one of the worst offenders. They've increased class size, cut back on scholarships, and let admissions standards fall to get the asses in seats. IMO everything they say should be taken with a mountain of salt.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Wed May 07, 2014 12:26 pm

timbs4339 wrote:

BigJimboOrleans wrote:All of you seem to have the same theme that the employment stats are "lies" or faked in some way. Could you provide any evidence/info on this? I'm really down to the wire now choosing between there and UMaryland. End goal is to work for Gov/Sci (NIST/FDA/ETC) in DC/MD area (not baltimore)
BigJimboOrleans wrote:Honest question. I keep going over their ABA employment reports for the last couple years and they seem on par with the rest of the 35-50 schools. Yet I am hearing nothing but hate and "STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS". I really don't understand. Just looking for a serious explanation here by someone who actually has some authority over the subject (practicing attorney, recruiter, alumni) and preferably not looking to hear from any other 0Ls or t14 prestige chasers.
You need to understand that you cannot trust American or any other law school. You think you can because you've been raised in America with everyone from your mom to Obama telling you that institutions of higher education (especially PRIVATE SCHOOLS) are genteel respectable organizations that have your best interests at heart. That's wrong. They are desperate to sell you. Ever seen Glengarry Glen Ross? It's like that right now. You are a walking student loan conduit.

Law schools haven't behaved very well in response to the crisis, but American is one of the worst offenders. They've increased class size, cut back on scholarships, and let admissions standards fall to get the asses in seats. IMO everything they say should be taken with a mountain of salt.
OP, this is the CR. I thought about applying to American too, but at the last minute decided they weren't ranked high enough (silly calculation).

A simple rule-of-thumb for higher education is to avoid paying full price unless the school can offer a good chance of the outcome you want.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed May 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:.

A simple rule-of-thumb for higher education is to avoid paying full price unless the school can offer a good chance of the outcome you want.
I'd actually argue that it's more like "avoid paying full price in virtually all circumstances" given that the average sticker price is now like 250k.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Wed May 07, 2014 12:38 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:.

I'd actually argue that it's more like "avoid paying full price in virtually all circumstances" given that the average sticker price is now like 250k.
Some people can stomach that kind of risk more so than others, especially if they really, really want a JD. I will upgrade my phrasing to "almost perfect guarantee".

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed May 07, 2014 1:32 pm

Their employment statistics are so bad that their law revue sings about how hard it is to find a job:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2k4y1dyTwA

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed May 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Wed May 07, 2014 1:40 pm

Lol...

One who apparently can't do his own research despite the mountain of available information, and advice from a number of fellow posters. The answers you seek are right in front of you. I feel like you're reading this thread with the same facial expression as your avatar.
Last edited by Nucky on Wed May 07, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed May 07, 2014 1:41 pm

snagglepuss wrote:Image
I don't know where this comes from, but it is both wonderful and hilarious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun May 11, 2014 12:29 pm

timbs4339 wrote:

love that movie. pacino is a god

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:39 pm

I was waitlisted by them too (similar stats, but my GPA was a tiny bit higher). Right around the same time BU, BC, Fordham, et al. opened their doors.

That was a very much a "wut?' moment. :lol:

ETA: that was during the 2011-12 cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”