Mercer University School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
candlelight01
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby candlelight01 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:39 pm

I prefer the marry into money route.

TTT 4 ME
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:24 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby TTT 4 ME » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:45 pm

candlelight01 wrote:I prefer the marry into money route.


Seconded.

1more
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:26 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby 1more » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:23 pm

Just needed to respond to some of this, seeing as how prospective students are visiting this site...

With all of that said, I will concede that the posters did have some valid points about Mercer and the Macon community, however they greatly exaggerated their claims.

- Mercer's reputation. Mercer enjoys a FINE reputation WITHIN the state of Georgia. The people who dog Mercer's reputation are elitists from UGA and Emory, and they are young - which means they don't have any say in hiring once you graduate from school. Every attorney and judge with whom I've ever spoken regarding this subject (and unlike Mercer1L who has absolutely no connections whatsoever, I have the privilege of knowing many attorneys and a variety of judges) have harped on the fact that Mercer is a fine law school and their graduates do a great job upon entering the field. NONE of them have ever mentioned anything about a bias against Mercer grads, and that assertion is supported by the number of Mercer grads who are partners in firms around the state and who hold judgeships. In fact, Mercer at one time was the premier law school in the state, and though times have changed, the history of the school aids in furthering its reputation today. Now, out of state is a different story. Mercer does not have much power outside of the state, and certainly outside the southeast. But unless you go to a top 20, "national-type" school, you will encounter the same problem. People attending Mercer know (or should know) upon entering that their best job prospects will be limited to the state of GA and the surrounding vicinity.

- Tuition. Yes, tuition is expensive. But people who go here did likely get rejected from some of the other schools with cheaper tuition, and as such, don't have a lot of flexibility in that respect. If you don't want to pay the money, then don't come here - simple as that. I will admit that I didn't get into UGA, and if I had, I more than likely would have enrolled there. But perhaps 3 points on my LSAT and a few less beers in my first few years in Athens as an undergrad would have tipped the balance in favor of acceptance to UGA. Admission to a school ranked in the top 35 and a school ranked at #100 hinges on a few crucial points, and employers know that. If I had made a few better guesses on the LSAT or just happened to be a little more accurate that day, I could very well be a UGA student right now. But that's not the case, and as such, Mercer was my best option.

- Mercer > GA State. That's the truth. I got into GA State, and sure it was very attractice because of tuition (for those who don't know, GA State's tuition is DIRT CHEAP, and that's the sole catalyst for their rise in the rankings). But those same attorneys and judges I know said that just because GA State may be the best deal available, doesn't mean their graduates enjoy the better reputation. Again, Mercer's history works in favor of Mercer grads, and history is not an advantage GA State can boast. I know several students at UGA and GA State, who (like Mercer1L so eloquently put it) "aren't intelligent enough" to be in law school, yet they went to dipshit undergrads, made good grades, and then lucked out and made a decent LSAT score. One of my friends at UGA law (bless her) probably couldn't spell 'jurisdiction.' Again, there are a lot of factors that come into play here, and in many cases, only the slightest difference in test scores or GPA separate Mercer students from UGA students.

- Student Quality @ Mercer. I was guilty of thinking that the school would not have high caliber students. Sure, there are some students here who don't appear to be the most intelligent folks in the world. There are also a number of students here who attended no-name undergrads, and as such, the inference is that they were too dumb to get into better colleges. That's not the case at all. Many of these people who don't seem "intelligent enough" on the outside, are sitting in the top quarter of the class right now. Many of them had circumstances that did not allow them to go off to school or attend a more prestigious college. While top to bottom, the students may not be on the same level as UGA or Emory, I'd certainly argue that our best are just as bright as the best at those schools, and the majority of students here would be just fine at those schools.

Mercer has been a pleasant surprise, and I've really grown to enjoy the place. Macon is not the coolest place on Earth, but in law school, you shouldn't be spending a ton of time on extracurriculars. If you are, then you simply won't be finishing too high in the class. Macon has bars that serve alcohol, and for many, that's all the entertainment that's needed. It's more about the people you're with than the setting, and the people here are great (less the clowns who came on this board trashing it). The education has been great thusfar, and Mercer boasts some really good faculty for the most part. A lot of the really good professors have been here for years and years, and I think they decided to stay because of the sense of community. They can become involved in Macon, and they have a lot of say in what goes in regarding the school. While Mercer Law is affiliated with Mercer University, our law school is about 2 miles away from the main campus, and we have a nice kind of independence here.

All in all, I have no problems with Mercer and even if I were #1 in the class and had abundant transfer options, I doubt I would take them. Sure the tuition is a real drag, and for many people, it's an obstacle that they may not be able to overcome. A lot of people here would also prefer if the school enjoyed a "top 50 type" ranking and reputation, but that's just not the case. If they have such a problem with it, they should have performed better in undergrad and made a 170 on their LSAT - as such, they have only themselves to blame.

When I graduate from here, I will have many good friends and people that I will be able to contact and count on for the duration of my professional career. I will feel like an actual part of my school, as opposed to just another number at the larger schools. Yeah, I'd like for my vita to one day read: University of Virginia, J.D. but that's just not the reality. However I can take solace in the fact that I'm receiving a VERY good legal education and I'm having a pretty good time doing it. I also plan on getting an LLM one day, so at the juncture perhaps I'll be able to add the "Georgetown" or "UVA" to my resume.

To the Mercer students trashing the school and its students: you're discouraging prospective students and you're dogging your fellow classmates and the education they're paying to receive. You're also insulting the multitude of alums who will one day, likely control your fate when it comes to employment. Enjoy wallowing in self-pity and spending your entire lives bitching about any and everything. The rest of us are trying to make the most of everyday and we're having fun doing it.

(If you've applied and are able, come spend a weekend down here and take a look. I hope that you will lend more credence to the more rational, fair replies on this thread.)
Last edited by 1more on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
aguyingeorgia
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:09 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby aguyingeorgia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:31 pm

Can't say I agree with everything, but I appreciate the post from a different side of Mercer.
:D
Very well written.

CaptainDirtyBird
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:22 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby CaptainDirtyBird » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:01 pm

1more wrote:Just needed to respond to some of this, seeing as how prospective students are visiting this site...

Finally, to Mercer1L and Jeff Davis: if you hate it here, then get out. We don't want you here, you don't want to be here, so the best option would be to just part ways. You're discouraging prospective students and you're dogging your fellow classmates and the education they're paying to receive. You're also insulting the multitude of alums who will one day, likely control your fate when it comes to employment. We know who you are,and this sophomoric diatribes on the Internet are not going to win over the people who already don't like you. Enjoy wallowing in self-pity and spending your entire lives bitching about any and everything. The rest of us are trying to make the most of everyday and we're having fun doing it. I sure don't envy going through life the way you schmucks do.

(If you've applied and are able, come spend a weekend down here and take a look. I promise it's not as bad as the guys say it is, and if all of our identities were revealed, I think you'd be more prone to listen to those posting the more rational, fair replies on this thread.)


WTF. I don't deny that they're incessent bitching about the school could grate, but you must be one of those guys who think the Hiibel decision was the most sound judgement of the last 20 years. Next time, try refuting the arguement that people are going to be working as PARA-FUCKING-LEGALS. Because threatening them with a bleak future does nothing to convince anyone to attend Mercer.

JeffersonDavis
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby JeffersonDavis » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

I would like to start by apologizing to my fellow classmates. My comments were uncalled for and I feel nothing but regret for saying them. Simply, I was wrong and take full responsibility for the comments.

I stumbled upon this post months ago, and wrote a few comments which I have deleated. I actually forgot about even posting the comments until a friend outed me as one of the posters (rightfully so). However, much has changed since I wrote those past comments. Until all this got started up, the school had actually began to grow on me and I had just started to actually like being here. One of my friends even stated that she had noticed how "positive" I had been lately. I never had any issues with the student body, and I believe that the students at Mercer are its strongest asset. Most of the students here at Mercer are kind and I have enjoyed getting know them. My comments were not meant to debase any of the students at Mercer. Most of the students at Mercer are highly intelligent and I'll admit that I shouldn't even be sitting the same class with most of them. The comments I made were simply out of frustration. True, it is expensive, but as a friend recently told me, " you knew that when you came". That's a true statement.

I did have intentions of transfering, but recently I decided not to. As I stated earlier, I actually began to feel at home here and began to like it. Now, I simply do not know what I will do considering that I have actually started to like it and the people don't like me. I don't want to be where I am not wanted. So I don't know what I will do.

As for the quality of education, I have never thought that Mercer provided an inferior quality of education. The teacher here are demanding and for the most part all of them are great. My hostility was soley based on price which was my fault.

I admit I made a mistake and acted like a child and bear responsibility of such actions.


Therefore, I hope my apology will be accepted, but I can understand the hurt that it caused.

It's true that I did go to rural junior college in Tifton called ABAC before I went to UGA. I don't regret that decision and am not ashamed of it either. In addition, I do love rural life and love spending every possible spare minute I have on my farm. I have many faults, but my love of rural life is simply not one of them.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby MTal » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:23 pm

Sounds like someone was the recipient of a serious ass-kicking...

CaptainDirtyBird
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:22 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby CaptainDirtyBird » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:52 pm

Jesus...I thought Mercer was in Macon not the Meekong. JeffersonDavis sounds like he's been physically tourtered :twisted: Last time I can remember someone that broken sounding, it was John McCain in Vietnam.

My impression of M & M.
Mercer Law kids: seemed like an okay group of kids, although the one's I met (all 1Ls were in bars the night before some big assignment was do, not necessarily a representative sample) were pretty legit. Fairly smart, although, some of them kind of copped an attitude when I told them I took a year off, as if they thought I couldn't have gotten in to any law schools straight out of undergrad. Apparently, after I got drunk - I informed them that USNWR "Legal Writing" aside, I could probably have swung a full ride there. They were cool after that. It was weird, but I found them to be some of the smarmier students I've checked out. I guess they were compensating for rankings by looking down at the "year off" guy.
Macon kids: Strange mofos. I mean just a weard assortment of "my new haircut" guidos and rednecks. Eh, town and gown.
Macon: Nice little town. The bars I went to were okay but nothing really impressive. I did like that the law school is within walking distance from the little downtown area. But, I personally find the atmosphere a little underwhelming. I just don't see getting myself ramped up to do anything in the town because thier just wasn't alot of energy.
Mercer: Pretty school, facilities are middle road. Nothing that looked like a mortuary or post-war Berlin, but not a land of dreaming spires and incredible views either.

Overall Ranking: Its about appropriately ranked. 97 or whatever it is. It could be a nice three years (its not Campbell (i.e. - Buies Creek)) but its not Athens. If I were going to go their and pay sticker, I would definately, definately find a job before hand in an area you want to be. Go be a paralegal for the DAs office or find a law firm with a Macon grad who you can work for whose gonna pay some decent bank. Because the last thing you want to do, is be choking yourself on a 40k salary with 100k in debt.

User avatar
aguyingeorgia
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:09 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby aguyingeorgia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:38 pm

Geez Jefferson, it has only been two months!

1) I never thought that you thought the student body wasn't on par, but rather were disappointed with the school and opportunities coming out.

2) Who cares where you went before UGA?

3) It sounds like getting outted has been rough. Hang in there. I went back and read your posts the other day and I can't imagine much has changed since them. But, I bet having your identity become known for making those posts has made life...interesting. Best of luck to you either way.

I don't show Mercer a lot of love, and I think that is based on some very real things. That said, I certainly wish you all the best of luck.

Caveat to posters like Jefferson: As I've said before, don't write anything you wouldn't be happy standing behind.

BoaltTroll
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:33 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby BoaltTroll » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:35 pm

1more wrote:Just needed to respond to some of this, seeing as how prospective students are visiting this site...

First of all, Jefferson Davis and Mercer1L are not a fair representation of the students and how they feel about the school. It's one thing to constantly commiserate to your fellow classmates, but going online to these forums and trashing the school is pretty pathetic.

With all of that said, I will concede that the posters did have some valid points about Mercer and the Macon community, however they greatly exaggerated their claims.

- Mercer's reputation. Mercer enjoys a FINE reputation WITHIN the state of Georgia. The people who dog Mercer's reputation are elitists from UGA and Emory, and they are young - which means they don't have any say in hiring once you graduate from school. Every attorney and judge with whom I've ever spoken regarding this subject (and unlike Mercer1L who has absolutely no connections whatsoever, I have the privilege of knowing many attorneys and a variety of judges) have harped on the fact that Mercer is a fine law school and their graduates do a great job upon entering the field. NONE of them have ever mentioned anything about a bias against Mercer grads, and that assertion is supported by the number of Mercer grads who are partners in firms around the state and who hold judgeships. In fact, Mercer at one time was the premier law school in the state, and though times have changed, the history of the school aids in furthering its reputation today. Now, out of state is a different story. Mercer does not have much power outside of the state, and certainly outside the southeast. But unless you go to a top 20, "national-type" school, you will encounter the same problem. People attending Mercer know (or should know) upon entering that their best job prospects will be limited to the state of GA and the surrounding vicinity.

- Tuition. Yes, tuition is expensive. But people who go here did likely get rejected from some of the other schools with cheaper tuition, and as such, don't have a lot of flexibility in that respect. If you don't want to pay the money, then don't come here - simple as that. I will admit that I didn't get into UGA, and if I had, I more than likely would have enrolled there. But perhaps 3 points on my LSAT and a few less beers in my first few years in Athens as an undergrad would have tipped the balance in favor of acceptance to UGA. Admission to a school ranked in the top 35 and a school ranked at #100 hinges on a few crucial points, and employers know that. If I had made a few better guesses on the LSAT or just happened to be a little more accurate that day, I could very well be a UGA student right now. But that's not the case, and as such, Mercer was my best option.

- Mercer > GA State. That's the truth. I got into GA State, and sure it was very attractice because of tuition (for those who don't know, GA State's tuition is DIRT CHEAP, and that's the sole catalyst for their rise in the rankings). But those same attorneys and judges I know said that just because GA State may be the best deal available, doesn't mean their graduates enjoy the better reputation. Again, Mercer's history works in favor of Mercer grads, and history is not an advantage GA State can boast. I know several students at UGA and GA State, who (like Mercer1L so eloquently put it) "aren't intelligent enough" to be in law school, yet they went to dipshit undergrads, made good grades, and then lucked out and made a decent LSAT score. One of my friends at UGA law (bless her) probably couldn't spell 'jurisdiction.' Again, there are a lot of factors that come into play here, and in many cases, only the slightest difference in test scores or GPA separate Mercer students from UGA students.

- Student Quality @ Mercer. I was guilty of thinking that the school would not have high caliber students. Sure, there are some students here who don't appear to be the most intelligent folks in the world. There are also a number of students here who attended no-name undergrads, and as such, the inference is that they were too dumb to get into better colleges. That's not the case at all. Many of these people who don't seem "intelligent enough" on the outside, are sitting in the top quarter of the class right now. Many of them had circumstances that did not allow them to go off to school or attend a more prestigious college. While top to bottom, the students may not be on the same level as UGA or Emory, I'd certainly argue that our best are just as bright as the best at those schools, and the majority of students here would be just fine at those schools.

Mercer has been a pleasant surprise, and I've really grown to enjoy the place. Macon is not the coolest place on Earth, but in law school, you shouldn't be spending a ton of time on extracurriculars. If you are, then you simply won't be finishing too high in the class. Macon has bars that serve alcohol, and for many, that's all the entertainment that's needed. It's more about the people you're with than the setting, and the people here are great (less the clowns who came on this board trashing it). The education has been great thusfar, and Mercer boasts some really good faculty for the most part. A lot of the really good professors have been here for years and years, and I think they decided to stay because of the sense of community. They can become involved in Macon, and they have a lot of say in what goes in regarding the school. While Mercer Law is affiliated with Mercer University, our law school is about 2 miles away from the main campus, and we have a nice kind of independence here.

All in all, I have no problems with Mercer and even if I were #1 in the class and had abundant transfer options, I doubt I would take them. Sure the tuition is a real drag, and for many people, it's an obstacle that they may not be able to overcome. A lot of people here would also prefer if the school enjoyed a "top 50 type" ranking and reputation, but that's just not the case. If they have such a problem with it, they should have performed better in undergrad and made a 170 on their LSAT - as such, they have only themselves to blame.

When I graduate from here, I will have many good friends and people that I will be able to contact and count on for the duration of my professional career. I will feel like an actual part of my school, as opposed to just another number at the larger schools. Yeah, I'd like for my vita to one day read: University of Virginia, J.D. but that's just not the reality. However I can take solace in the fact that I'm receiving a VERY good legal education and I'm having a pretty good time doing it. I also plan on getting an LLM one day, so at the juncture perhaps I'll be able to add the "Georgetown" or "UVA" to my resume.

Finally, to our classmates bashing the school: if you hate it here, then get out. You're discouraging prospective students and you're dogging your fellow classmates and the education they're paying to receive. You're also insulting the multitude of alums who will one day, likely control your fate when it comes to employment. We know who you are, and this sophomoric diatribes on the Internet are not going to win over the people who already don't like you. Enjoy wallowing in self-pity and spending your entire lives bitching about any and everything. The rest of us are trying to make the most of everyday and we're having fun doing it. I sure don't envy going through life the way you do.

(If you've applied and are able, come spend a weekend down here and take a look. I promise it's not as bad as the guys say it is, and if all of our identities were revealed, I think you'd be more prone to listen to those posting the more rational, fair replies on this thread.)

Edit: I took names/handles out of this post because in retrospect, it was poor taste. But the negative posters do need to know that the rest of the class has caught wind of this forum, and is less than pleased with your choice to air any dirty laundry on an Internet forum as opposed to keeping our chat confined within the school.


I don't know much about this school, but this post was one of the most threatening posts I've seen on this board yet. You threaten outing people for complaining about a school? Really? If this is what your school is about, then I don't see how anyone would want to go there. Your comment has done more to harm your cause than help it.

mercer 3l
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:56 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby mercer 3l » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:14 pm

Most of what this guy says is ridiculous and sounds like a press release. I go through it point by point.

But first, let me tell you a bit about myself. I am a real, live 3L here at Mercer Law. I've spent nearly 3 full years here. I'm barely above the median in my class. I'm not the smartest guy here, but I'm also far from the dimmest. I'm average just like 80% of the people here. I did not come here on a scholarship. I do not come from a wealthy family, so I'm took out loans for tuition. THAT is my perspective. I'm just an ordinary 3L. If you want to believe the person I'm quoting, knock yourself out-- I seriously don't care. I'm not writing this to benefit *me*. In retrospect, I should have just not commented in this forum and let you all believe a fairytale about Mercer-- some romanticized version of this steaming pile of shit. But since I did make the mistake of posting here and venting my frustration, I feel that I have an obligation to respond to people (probably 1Ls) posting misinformation.

1more wrote:Just needed to respond to some of this, seeing as how prospective students are visiting this site...

First of all, Jefferson Davis and Mercer1L are not a fair representation of the students and how they feel about the school. It's one thing to constantly commiserate to your fellow classmates, but going online to these forums and trashing the school is pretty pathetic.


This is probably the only true thing stated. Most 1Ls don't have a clue about what's going on. They have no idea about the job market, no perspective of school reputation, no idea how the hiring process works, and very little understanding of the "big picture" in law school. I would say that Jefferson Davis and Mercer Law 1L are a minority-- although they are an enlightened minority. Most 1Ls are incredibly idealistic about law and what their opportunities are. They think they'll be working for k&s or for the dept. of justice. In reality, they'll be working as general practitioners in very small law firms in (mainly) rural parts of georgia. Associates at these firms generally make about 40-45K/yr. If they're lucky, they might get a staff attorney position at k&s making 55K. If they're unlucky? Contract attorney. Top 5% (give or take a %) will strike the gold mine and move on up to atlanta to work at k&s, a&b, troutman, etc. That is the reality.

1more wrote:With all of that said, I will concede that the posters did have some valid points about Mercer and the Macon community, however they greatly exaggerated their claims.

- Mercer's reputation. Mercer enjoys a FINE reputation WITHIN the state of Georgia. The people who dog Mercer's reputation are elitists from UGA and Emory, and they are young - which means they don't have any say in hiring once you graduate from school. Every attorney and judge with whom I've ever spoken regarding this subject (and unlike Mercer1L who has absolutely no connections whatsoever, I have the privilege of knowing many attorneys and a variety of judges) have harped on the fact that Mercer is a fine law school and their graduates do a great job upon entering the field. NONE of them have ever mentioned anything about a bias against Mercer grads, and that assertion is supported by the number of Mercer grads who are partners in firms around the state and who hold judgeships. In fact, Mercer at one time was the premier law school in the state, and though times have changed, the history of the school aids in furthering its reputation today. Now, out of state is a different story. Mercer does not have much power outside of the state, and certainly outside the southeast. But unless you go to a top 20, "national-type" school, you will encounter the same problem. People attending Mercer know (or should know) upon entering that their best job prospects will be limited to the state of GA and the surrounding vicinity.


Huge lie. This guy must be a 1L. Mercer's reputation is horrible compared to other schools in the state. These "elitists" the above poster is talking about are the hiring partners. They have a huge bias against all grads who didn't attend their school, and mercer is woefully underrepresented in the good firms in Atlanta compared to the number of grads pumped out of this fly-by-night diploma mill each year. Mercer at one time was indeed considered a good school, which is why there are actually SOME mercer alum at good firms like k&s and a&b. But alas, those were the days before tuition was outstripping inflation by double digits and didn't cost as much as a home to get a legal education. Times have changed. Just because a lot of mercer grads hold judgeships doesn't mean that graduates today benefit from it. All you have to do is look at the median starting salary of mercer grads to see this in action. Compare that to the median at georgia state, uga and emory. Georgia State grads make 17% more each year on average than mercer grads. Georgia state grads only pay a max of 27 K for 3 years of legal education. Mercer grads pay close to 100 K for that same education. Do the math on that. 17% more each year and 73% less debt.

1more wrote:- Tuition. Yes, tuition is expensive. But people who go here did likely get rejected from some of the other schools with cheaper tuition, and as such, don't have a lot of flexibility in that respect. If you don't want to pay the money, then don't come here - simple as that. I will admit that I didn't get into UGA, and if I had, I more than likely would have enrolled there. But perhaps 3 points on my LSAT and a few less beers in my first few years in Athens as an undergrad would have tipped the balance in favor of acceptance to UGA. Admission to a school ranked in the top 35 and a school ranked at #100 hinges on a few crucial points, and employers know that. If I had made a few better guesses on the LSAT or just happened to be a little more accurate that day, I could very well be a UGA student right now. But that's not the case, and as such, Mercer was my best option.


Which pretty much sums most people at mercer. Most people here got a big fat NO from emory, uga, and georgia state. A select few choose mercer b/c of scholarships or family preference. There is one guy I know of that went to UGA (full price) over mercer (woodruff). What does that tell you about mercer's reputation? Go ask admissions about how many people turn down full-rides for uga full price. That is why mercer hands out money like candy-- they have to if they want to remain even slightly competitive.

1more wrote:- Mercer > GA State. That's the truth. I got into GA State, and sure it was very attractice because of tuition (for those who don't know, GA State's tuition is DIRT CHEAP, and that's the sole catalyst for their rise in the rankings). But those same attorneys and judges I know said that just because GA State may be the best deal available, doesn't mean their graduates enjoy the better reputation. Again, Mercer's history works in favor of Mercer grads, and history is not an advantage GA State can boast. I know several students at UGA and GA State, who (like Mercer1L so eloquently put it) "aren't intelligent enough" to be in law school, yet they went to dipshit undergrads, made good grades, and then lucked out and made a decent LSAT score. One of my friends at UGA law (bless her) probably couldn't spell 'jurisdiction.' Again, there are a lot of factors that come into play here, and in many cases, only the slightest difference in test scores or GPA separate Mercer students from UGA students.


Let's cut out the bullshit anecdotes about these elusive "judges" and "attorneys" and get right down to the numbers. Georgia state's median salary is $10,000 higher than mercer's right now; that's 17% more each year. 3 years of law school costs around 27K at State. At mercer? close to 100K. That is 73% less debt. Do that math on that folks-- State grads make 17% more money on average and pay 73% less money back. And when you look at private practice only, the gap becomes much larger, leading one to the conclusion that State grads are landing jobs at better (higher paying) firms-- but I digress. These are cold, hard numbers. Just assume you're an average Joe at the median of each of these schools. Which one would you attend? This isn't a bullshit anecdote. Go look it up on LSAC, US News, or ILRG. You tell me which school is ">" than the other. Plus, if this poster was so correct, then people would be clamoring to get into Mercer more so than State. Yet we all know that isn't true based on the stats of students at each.

1more wrote:All in all, I have no problems with Mercer and even if I were #1 in the class and had abundant transfer options, I doubt I would take them. Sure the tuition is a real drag, and for many people, it's an obstacle that they may not be able to overcome. A lot of people here would also prefer if the school enjoyed a "top 50 type" ranking and reputation, but that's just not the case. If they have such a problem with it, they should have performed better in undergrad and made a 170 on their LSAT - as such, they have only themselves to blame.


That's right, kids. If you were too stupid to get a 170 and get into UVa, you don't belong in law school. You only have yourselves to blame for attending this cholera infested latrine.

1more wrote:Finally, to our classmates bashing the school: if you hate it here, then get out. You're discouraging prospective students and you're dogging your fellow classmates and the education they're paying to receive. You're also insulting the multitude of alums who will one day, likely control your fate when it comes to employment. We know who you are, and this sophomoric diatribes on the Internet are not going to win over the people who already don't like you. Enjoy wallowing in self-pity and spending your entire lives bitching about any and everything. The rest of us are trying to make the most of everyday and we're having fun doing it. I sure don't envy going through life the way you do.


I want all 0Ls to look at this post. Look at the fear mongering ("oh we know who you are! i'm telling daddy!"). Just look at it. Is this really the type of place you want to attend school? Are these the type of people you want to go to class with?

1more wrote:Edit: I took names/handles out of this post because in retrospect, it was poor taste. But the negative posters do need to know that the rest of the class has caught wind of this forum, and is less than pleased with your choice to air any dirty laundry on an Internet forum as opposed to keeping our chat confined within the school.


Spare me. Telling the outside world and 0Ls exactly what it is like here was my full intention with my two above posts. Why would I allow someone to make the same mistake a lot of us made? Who does it help by keeping the "chat" (a euphemism if there ever was one) confined to the school? So that mercer could con the next generation of law students out of 100 K?

To the poor 1L above who got outed: I seriously feel sorry for you. Trust me, it doesn't get better. You think you are miserable now? You only have 30 K or whatever in debt. When you're a 3L like me, you'll have 100 K in debt. To the person who outed you: what a pathetic, low-life, scum thing to do. Look out folks, these are the type of vindictive morons you'll be dealing with if you come to this school. Do not make the mistake of coming here. Paying 100 K to be classmates with jerks who will out you for complaining and to end up with a 40 K/yr shitlaw job is not worth it. Save your money. Do something productive with your lives; don't toil away your life in debtors prison. Become a teacher, an accountant, or simply retake the LSAT and go to a better school where you won't be a slave for years and years to your debt. Take it from someone who has been here and seen it all: STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL UNLESS YOU GET A FULL SCHOLARSHIP.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby 06072010 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Edit: I took names/handles out of this post because in retrospect, it was poor taste. But the negative posters do need to know that the rest of the class has caught wind of this forum, and is less than pleased with your choice to air any dirty laundry on an Internet forum as opposed to keeping our chat confined within the school.


This is easily the most retarded thing I've ever read on the forums. Does the marketplace of ideas scare you so much as to threaten the reputation of a fellow classmate? Further, does the school's reputation hinge on the anonymous post of one law student? Really?

glsd56
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:54 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby glsd56 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:58 pm

1. There are several Mercer graduates working as successful attorneys and Judges in Georgia, mainly outside out Atlanta, so going to Mercer would not preclude you from practicing law and being good at it. A Mercer degree may not help you get a job at a big law firm in Atlanta, but neither does your low LSAT score and GPA.

2. A 100k debt is pretty much like buying house, so should have acted like a home buyer. Before you sign the sales contract, you have look at the house, you have an inspector look at the house, and you do as much research as you can about the surrounding neighborhood, etc. If you committed to pay Mercer 100k without finding out whether the school could provide you with the opportunities that you wanted, then whatever comes your way is completely your fault. I am not sure I would like you as my attorney.

3. I personally would not attend Mercer, mainly because of my BigLaw and political hopes, and the ridiculously high tuition. Yet, I do not look down at people who have or will. I have the utmost respect for several attorneys from Mercer. I feel most people around this area understand that not everyone will score high on the LSAT or will have the opportunity to attend UGA or Emory. However, I am positive that anyone will look down at those who cannot take charge of their future. Now that you know how it will be once graduation comes, start networking and finding ways to level the playing field. Stop blaming the school for your own shortcomings and make it happen for you.

4. Outing people and threatening students who decide to warn others is utterly pathetic. If your school has nothing to worry about, why do you feel you must silence them? Is this how debates in the classroom work? Are people worried that if they express their opinion, they will be outcasted? Not really a way to foster education and an exchange of ideas, is it? This post reminded me of the dictators that take control of the press and media to prevent their people from straying too far.

rickb
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:35 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby rickb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:40 am

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, 1more. I regret not having written my reply more like yours, but at the time I was more worried about retorting promptly to the much exaggerated and inaccurate postings of the critics.

I would like to add, for the sake of prospective students, to what 1more had to say. I think a lot of students came to Mercer with the expectation that the caliber of students here would not be equal to the caliber of students at UGA. That expectation was proven to be false. As 1more says, there are of course students from lesser known/lower ranked schools, but those students quickly proved their merit. And for prospective students that do care to know what schools the students are from, I can say that there are NUMEROUS students from prestigious schools around the country, such as UVA, W & L, UNC, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Rhodes, UGA, Mercer, West Point, Kenyon, Emory, just to name a few. That being said, it is unwise to presume that because you have a degree from a so-called “prestigious” university that you will do better in law school than students who do not have such a degree. Nearly all of the students at Mercer, like at most law schools, are intelligent, hard working and competitive. Unfortunately, rankings for undergraduate institutions and law schools alike are based primarily on the amount of professors who publish scholarly writings in academic journals or law review articles. These professors are rarely the professors who do the best, or even the actual, teaching. Although this holds more truth with respect to undergraduate schools than with law schools, the point remains the same: Rankings are misleading. It is for this reason that many major universities' undergraduate schools are ranked extremely high by US News, but the level of learning going on in the college classroom is often a joke. Besides, students who did go to “prestigious” universities already know that the cocky kids who attended top-notch prep schools in the northeast (or even those who went to Westminster in Atl, for that matter) did not dominate the classroom in college. Students from public high schools throughout the south did just as well, if not better, than their counterparts in college who had fancy high school educations.

The second point I would like to make is that, as 1more pointed out, not all the students here came to Mercer because it was their last choice. In fact, I would say most of them came to Mercer because they have family members or friends who are well respected attorneys/lawyers that went to Mercer law and speak very highly of it. This speaks to the outstanding reputation Mercer law holds among practitioners in Georgia. Also, many students at Mercer do not want to work at one of the big firms in Atlanta. They chose Mercer in part because they knew Mercer would prepare them well for practice in small or mid-size firms outside or around Atlanta. Though they wanted the option to work at a big firm, and Mercer provides that option if they graduate in the top of their class, they realized that life in a big firm is hell. Though a 145-160 grand a year sounds nice, I’d rather not work like a peasant 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, even if its only for two or three years. There are simply too many other things in my life that I find more important than work.

In my experience, many of those students who are unhappy with Mercer can be placed into the following category. They graduated from college with little direction and with a crummy degree. Without doing much research into legal job markets, law schools, etc, they said, “hey, all lawyers make a lot of money, so I will go to law school in order to be successful and rich.” And then they immediately applied to law schools and attended the law school they could get into. It is a common misconception, especially among the lower and middle classes in our society, that ALL lawyers and doctors make boat loads of money. To make the big bucks, both lawyers and doctors have to do especially well in grad school and then specialize in an area that makes a lot of money. Unfortunately, some people are not figuring this out until after they spend a 100 grand on a professional degree.

In my mind, all of these postings can be summed up into the following three points.

1. Mercer is a great law school. It has and will continue to hold its own against the other law schools in the state. So visit Mercer and see for yourself before you trust the judgment of one or two discontent whiners.
2. Mercer is expensive (too expensive, I will admit, for its overall reputation), and before attending you should consider well the financial obligations it may impose on you after graduation. In Mercer’s defense, it is a private school and everyone already knows that private schools are going to be more expensive than public schools; however, private schools often offer a lot in the way of community and faculty access that a public school cannot offer. To me this justifies the price.
3. Finally, and most importantly, Connelly said it right: if you want to succeed in life, then you have to kick ass. Degrees get you in doors, but they don’t carry you up the food chain. This is the bottom line. There are too many people in life that are just like the character Andy from The Office: they harp on their awesome degrees while perpetually sucking at life and going nowhere. If your best efforts through life haven’t been anything more than mediocre (and let’s be honest, you probably don’t realize this yet), then don’t expect law school to transform you into something you’re not.

mercer 3l
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:56 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby mercer 3l » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:12 pm

rickb wrote:
Rankings are misleading. It is for this reason that many major universities' undergraduate schools are ranked extremely high by US News, but the level of learning going on in the college classroom is often a joke.


Indeed rankings are misleading. Just like the Legal Writing specialty ranking, where Northwestern was ranked #8 this year and was beat out by national powerhouses like John Marshall and Mercer Law! The rankings are a joke. Look at median starting salary for a real breakdown of what graduates are doing after law school. Also look at average debt and tuition. Those two numbers are the most important. And mercer is ranked 4th in the state in that regard.

rickb wrote:Also, many students at Mercer do not want to work at one of the big firms in Atlanta. They chose Mercer in part because they knew Mercer would prepare them well for practice in small or mid-size firms outside or around Atlanta. Though they wanted the option to work at a big firm, and Mercer provides that option if they graduate in the top of their class, they realized that life in a big firm is hell. Though a 145-160 grand a year sounds nice, I’d rather not work like a peasant 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, even if its only for two or three years. There are simply too many other things in my life that I find more important than work.


Oh the follies of being a clueless 1L. You realize that you will be working 10-11 hours a day, 6 days a week at a small law firm, right? The difference between large and small firms is not the hours worked. It's the TYPE of work done, TYPE of clients and amount of money earned. If you think you are going to graduate after 3L and land a job at a small firm working a straight 40-50hrs/week, you're seriously delusional. Did you even work as a paralegal before law school? Do you have any idea how it works? Your dream is going to come crashing down really hard when you land your first job if you're at the median. You'll work like a dog. And you'll do it for 40 K/yr while paying back 100 K in debt if you were silly enough to come here without a scholarship. I cannot emphasize enough what the median starting salary is for mercer grads. Baring some miracle (does daddy have a law practice?), you will be making 40-45K/yr at the median. If you want a straight 40, then I suggest you bust your ass and get a government job.

rickb wrote:Unfortunately, some people are not figuring this out until after they spend a 100 grand on a professional degree.


Right. DO NOT come to mercer if you are paying sticker. It is a mistake. 100 K is too much for a legal education when you're dealing with a school like mercer law. 100 K at emory is worth it. 100 K at this sewer is not. Only come here if you get a scholarship.

rickb wrote:2. Mercer is expensive (too expensive, I will admit, for its overall reputation), and before attending you should consider well the financial obligations it may impose on you after graduation. In Mercer’s defense, it is a private school and everyone already knows that private schools are going to be more expensive than public schools; however, private schools often offer a lot in the way of community and faculty access that a public school cannot offer. To me this justifies the price.


Let me also add, as has been said above, that Mercer charges almost as much as Emory and Vanderbilt. Let that sink in for a second. This isn't about mercer being a private school per se. This is about comparing the tuition at mercer to schools which literally have a national reputation. When you have a place like mercer fucking law charging nearly as much as emory, something is incredibly wrong. Where does this money go? Mercer does not have faculty like emory or vandy to pay. Have you ever asked this question?

I'm seriously tired of 1Ls posting on here talking about the reputation of this school when they really don't know what the hell they're talking about. They haven't been on interviews yet. They haven't mailmerged 753 resumes yet. They haven't been working contacts yet. I do have a job lined up, but only through a family connection.

Bottom line: the reputation stinks in the state regardless of what these hapless 1Ls are spewing. Come here if you have a scholarship. Stay out if you don't. Otherwise you are playing a 100 K lotto. Do you want to make 40 K/yr while paying back $1200/mo? If so, mercer law is right for you. Ignore the pathetic anecdotes about "attorneys think the reputation is good!" Ignore all of that. Only look at the numbers I quoted above about median starting salary and debt.

yellow_submarine
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby yellow_submarine » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:04 pm

Thank you, guys!
I am coming to Mercer on a full scholarship. The deal is sealed. Wish me luck. :wink:

1more
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:26 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby 1more » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:24 pm

The negative posters are not a fair representation of the students and how they feel about the school. A forum like this is a great place to express viewpoints, both positive and negative. But my response was elicited because I felt a line was crossed when the posters decided to bash the faculty and their classmates. It's one thing think poorly of the school, complain about tuition, think Mercer is sucking you dry, etc. But what you fail to realize is that like yourself, many of us have a lot of money and time invested in this school and the education we're receiving. You are hurting the value of our degrees when you come on here and exaggerate claims in the manner that you have done in an effort to warn prospective students. Just remember that there are two or more sides to every issue, and when you choose to express your opinions on an Internet forum, you are consenting to opinions of the other side(s) and the potential backlash that accompanies it. "I would not advise a student to attend Mercer" is much different from "PLEASE do not even think about attending this toilet bowl if you have one ounce of intelligence." I for one, and the majority of my fellow students don't appreciate that. And for what it's worth, our class gets along GREAT, and nothing said on this forum will change the relationship we enjoy. No one despises the posters, but we think it was poor taste to go about expressing their views in the manner in which it was done. None of us believe we're at the Harvard of the South - but at the end of the day, we're going to have the opportunity to practice law, which is something that not everyone can attain. We may not reap the financial rewards that many in this field so fervently seek, but believe it or not, for some of us that's just fine.

I am sorry for the Mercer students who feel as if they have wasted their time, money, and efforts by attending this school. I wish you nothing but the best in whatever career path you seek, and hope that one day, perhaps you'll view your time here in a different light. I don't have "biglaw" aspirations, so I suppose I can't truly empathize with your feelings and frustrations. But I'm sure that with some hard work and a little luck, you'll reach the ends you seek.

I apologize for my lack of tact in an earlier thread, but stand by my substantive message. I didn't have a "cooling off" period after reading this thread, and did not adhere to my own personal standards of treating others in a cordial and respectful manner. Regardless of how others act, I do strive to take the proverbial "high road," but sometimes slip up.

This my last post on the subject and on this forum. There are different (and strong) opinions on this subject, which is very healthy and contrary to the opinions of some, free and open discourse is something I enjoy and promote.

CaptainDirtyBird
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:22 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby CaptainDirtyBird » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:42 pm

1more wrote: It's one thing think poorly of the school, complain about tuition, think Mercer is sucking you dry, etc. But what you fail to realize is that like yourself, many of us have a lot of money and time invested in this school and the education we're receiving. You are hurting the value of our degrees when you come on here and exaggerate claims in the manner that you have done in an effort to warn prospective students. Just remember that there are two or more sides to every issue, and when you choose to express your opinions on an Internet forum, you are consenting to opinions of the other side(s) and the potential backlash that accompanies it.


I like it...they must teach archaic torts at Mercer as alternative dispute resolution. You hurt the value of my degree, I'll denegrate the ag school you attended and out you TO THE THEY, ALL POWERFUL ALUMNI, AND CLASSMATES OF OUR SCHOOL.

Hey buddy, nothing wrong with getting pissed off b/c one of your own is talking shit on your school and by extension you. But the fact is your arguement is equally damnable. If in fact the school misrepresents the opportunities their degree opens up, or doesn't mention that, for the bottom third of the class, they can get a paralegal certificate and save a $100k, than the school needs to be bashed. I understand you don't want YOUR DEGREE to be upset, but if you and your school are of the opinion that is the "higher road," sounds like y'all are described spot on.

P.S. - I didn't really believe Mercer was that bad a place, until YOU started posting.
Last edited by CaptainDirtyBird on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gengar
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:07 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby gengar » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:51 pm

BoaltTroll wrote:I don't know much about this school, but this post was one of the most threatening posts I've seen on this board yet. You threaten outing people for complaining about a school? Really? If this is what your school is about, then I don't see how anyone would want to go there. Your comment has done more to harm your cause than help it.


TITCR.

I read this thread only because a friend mentioned transferring out, and I think I'm getting a pretty good idea about why she wanted to leave.

candlelight01
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby candlelight01 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 am

Mercer Law 1L wrote:You're always going to have people defending this school and its tuition. It's a very expensive investment and people have an emotional attachment to it. It's actually a textbook case of cognitive dissonance. No matter how bad it is, people will never say they made a mistake. That is tantamount to admitting you've been screwed out of your money and that you failed. No person is going to do that. Therefore, they defend the school like rabid dogs. Like I said in an earlier post: it's like asking who is going to pick up the check at a restaurant; it's just not something talked about. Until now.

The ironic thing with this thread is that the defenders deride people who come to Mercer and pay $100,000 for an education. We're called clueless uninformed consumers who didn't inform ourselves of the costs (a lie); Mercer is never blamed. However, if someone like me comes on this forum and tries to educate 0Ls about the cost of this school, I'm ridiculed, called bitter and people try to out me.

The witch hunt that ensued after these comments is probably the most damning thing about this school. If you think that Jefferson Davis and I are the only two people in this school who feel this way, you are mistaken. We are the only two people who found this forum and decided to post. And if you think that others from Mercer are going to post here about the truth after what just happened, you're also mistaken.

It's really just sad and pathetic. If you are contemplating coming here to Mercer, I suggest you read this thread from the beginning to end. It's not worth it. It's not worth the $100,000. This whole thing just is not worth your 3 valuable years of life for some miserable, low paying job. The investment does not pay off if you pay full price here.


So what are your plans after you drop out of school?

CaptainDirtyBird
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:22 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby CaptainDirtyBird » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:20 pm

candlelight01 wrote:
Mercer Law 1L wrote:You're always going to have people defending this school and its tuition. It's a very expensive investment and people have an emotional attachment to it. It's actually a textbook case of cognitive dissonance. No matter how bad it is, people will never say they made a mistake. That is tantamount to admitting you've been screwed out of your money and that you failed. No person is going to do that. Therefore, they defend the school like rabid dogs. Like I said in an earlier post: it's like asking who is going to pick up the check at a restaurant; it's just not something talked about. Until now.

The ironic thing with this thread is that the defenders deride people who come to Mercer and pay $100,000 for an education. We're called clueless uninformed consumers who didn't inform ourselves of the costs (a lie); Mercer is never blamed. However, if someone like me comes on this forum and tries to educate 0Ls about the cost of this school, I'm ridiculed, called bitter and people try to out me.

The witch hunt that ensued after these comments is probably the most damning thing about this school. If you think that Jefferson Davis and I are the only two people in this school who feel this way, you are mistaken. We are the only two people who found this forum and decided to post. And if you think that others from Mercer are going to post here about the truth after what just happened, you're also mistaken.

It's really just sad and pathetic. If you are contemplating coming here to Mercer, I suggest you read this thread from the beginning to end. It's not worth it. It's not worth the $100,000. This whole thing just is not worth your 3 valuable years of life for some miserable, low paying job. The investment does not pay off if you pay full price here.


So what are your plans after you drop out of school?


Probably join the Marines in the hope that candlelight won't pick on him anymore for being a whiney man.

candlelight01
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby candlelight01 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:45 pm

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:
candlelight01 wrote:
Mercer Law 1L wrote:You're always going to have people defending this school and its tuition. It's a very expensive investment and people have an emotional attachment to it. It's actually a textbook case of cognitive dissonance. No matter how bad it is, people will never say they made a mistake. That is tantamount to admitting you've been screwed out of your money and that you failed. No person is going to do that. Therefore, they defend the school like rabid dogs. Like I said in an earlier post: it's like asking who is going to pick up the check at a restaurant; it's just not something talked about. Until now.

The ironic thing with this thread is that the defenders deride people who come to Mercer and pay $100,000 for an education. We're called clueless uninformed consumers who didn't inform ourselves of the costs (a lie); Mercer is never blamed. However, if someone like me comes on this forum and tries to educate 0Ls about the cost of this school, I'm ridiculed, called bitter and people try to out me.

The witch hunt that ensued after these comments is probably the most damning thing about this school. If you think that Jefferson Davis and I are the only two people in this school who feel this way, you are mistaken. We are the only two people who found this forum and decided to post. And if you think that others from Mercer are going to post here about the truth after what just happened, you're also mistaken.

It's really just sad and pathetic. If you are contemplating coming here to Mercer, I suggest you read this thread from the beginning to end. It's not worth it. It's not worth the $100,000. This whole thing just is not worth your 3 valuable years of life for some miserable, low paying job. The investment does not pay off if you pay full price here.


So what are your plans after you drop out of school?


Probably join the Marines in the hope that candlelight won't pick on him anymore for being a whiney man.

Interesting choice. One would think he'd pursue one of those para-fucking-legal jobs.

CaptainDirtyBird
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:22 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby CaptainDirtyBird » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:22 pm

I imagine that you've already got those locked up candlelight. :mrgreen:

project_chronix
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby project_chronix » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:26 pm

Hello All,

I'm a 1L at Mercer (I guess as well after skimming the posts...) Well, due to hell and high water this ongoing forum issue has caused raging around the school (which apparantly has been going on for sometime and I just got wind of it), I decided to check it out today (That and the fact someone said they thought I was involved with the ranting... Blame it on the compulsive computer kid). It's.... intresting to say the least.I will say Mercer 1L Guy makes some points... unfortunitly the conclusion doesn't correlate to the facts presented, not to mention I bet some facts might be off (I didn't read it all, just a few.) The view that the school is a waste money has not factual backgorund besides your claim of no work (which I guess your taking from word of mouth?). Your point of being considered lower then UGA and Emory (thus Mercer grads are lower on the totem pole) is skewed as well. Though they all got some relavant points leaning on your contention, your failing to use that Analytical skill that's being tought to you.
If your talking about coming out of Mercer in the low precentile and trying to get a job to pay off your loans sufficently quick and begin making high levels of income... your right. Conversly, that's not due to the school. If you haven't heard, Law degrees and those with them are abundant in society, and more specifically, GA. If your coming out crawling below the 80% marker, without any connections, clueless as to where to begin, seeking a job in a Major City (really any city), and trying to suck on the tit as if it's the schools job to get you one, your going to face a hard reality. Mix that with other schools (UGA, Emory) contending with you, your going to be fighting one hell of a battle. Link that to the upcoming recession, merger of the Credit industries by the reserve (Damn Feds and Rockafellers), high loan costs, gas prices, yadda, yadda... anyhow, it's a hard battle that think called life, and it would seem your losing it.
But welcome to the fight. If this is you coming out of law school... you definitly did not spend your time wisely. Mercer is a private, small Institution, Hence the higher cost and lower ratings then then the others. Mercer doesn't "sell you a job". It gives you what you need to be able to obtain one on your own in the market: Education. As well, Mercer offers something else most other schools do not offer: small, supportive learning enviroment, large and loyal Alumni base, and the abilty to shoot the shit with Doris (that sweet old thing rocks my socks off) This is a small, private institute of education, not a lawyer prodcution facility complete with a briefcase and firm job. And If your at Mercer, spending $100,000 or more and can't find a job in the trade, your not working sufficently at obtaining the needed education. On the same note, I beleive your falling into that catagroy of joining the "trashheap of GA" or whatever relative comment you made. But, Even trash can sucseed, or in the least be valauble. Consider: If your paying ful price for Mercer, and your going to transfer out, judging by the manner you are discussing the institution as you've been doing, it leads me to beleive it was the only one you got into (due to poor test scores or poor grades). If you got the grades to transfer out as you contened, in the least it was a jumping pad for your beignings (most likly your only avalaible jumping pad, thus quite valuable, wouldn't you say?) And if you don't have the grades to transfer out, that as well show's me two things: Mercer was the only school you got into, and your piddling at your studies the same way you did in undergrad or prep for your LSAT. On that note, that's where my point on valuable trash comes into play... Your tuition is, in all reality, paying mine then. (I'm not saying your trash, It just was a analogy to your concept you stated in one of the post you saw) I was lucky to get a "cheeseburger" scholarship handout so all I have to pay is Living expenses. I had the abilty to go to Chappell Hill, but that shit was costly, and my family is small town land rich only. Thus, the true beauty of Mercer Shines thorugh: Kids with ambition and low income get a good deal, and piddlers either get a second chance to reprove themselves and progress foward, or... pay my tuition. Any how, I'm not trying to sound like I'm generating conflict, as I'm well aware of harmful effects such can cause.

hmmm.. im incredibly ADHD, which tends to make me sporadic in my points... let me expliain it this way: By Grandpops told me 3 main concepts every man should live by:
1. "Smile, Act proper, don't call what your waring an outfit, shake hands, don't forget to feed the dogs, and make yourself notable." This was his way of saying the most truth filled statement ever: It's not your degree that makes you money, it's the friends that like you enough to include you... and don't forget to feed the dogs.
2. "If you can't milk the cows or sow the feild, you best get your ass looking around for something else that needs to get done." This one hopefully you got... If it's not lawyering that working for you, then you best find something else. Hey, you might not be cut out for it. I know I'm not... but I thought ahead and know I'm going to teach. If it's not your thing, you best get your ass looking around. If it's ends up being a costly mistake.... Think of it this way: Atleast you didn't stick your junk in a light socket.
3. "Don't hang around a man who complains about something in the first ten minutes of meeting him. It means he's trying to connect with you." Hell If I knew what he meant by this one. But it kinda makes since anyhow.

Anyways, my grandad also had one more, which is relavant here: It was, "If a man is carrying a big stick and smells like shit, don't let him poke you." On that note, I wouldn't advise biting the hand that is offered in friendship and gratitude... express your opinions, but don't continue to try to push your classmates to rage. Your throwing Gasoline on this fire just to watch it burn.. and sadly, it's burning on a public forum that many others see.

Also, Your not the brightest for choosing a PHPbb open source forum format for your stirring. Beisdes PHP information transfers being quickly and easily degenerated and expolited, you posted in HTML format, which has to convert to the lenux PHP string to be able to hit the hostport and post. With that, your Baseline ID number is attached to each post you made. (I'm more amazed you used your school computer and didn't change your IP adress once during the last 3 months from the preset). Even without such damning actions, many websites offer UID code decryption processes for PHPbb, which is ungodly simple. Anyhow, I'm not going to get inolved with all this, but... you need learn to get invovled, not scoff on the side. In the least, apprecaite what you do have...and know your weapons of choice better. Oh yea, thanks for the tuition contributions, and good luck on the transfer. I hope you get your Jumping pad out.

I had... Briefly for about 5 minutes, put up the process of finding out who you are to those who wanted it. I've taken it down. I'm fairly certain the only person who saw it was the last poster and three viewers, and my educated guess (due to the lack of law students who enjoy code) is your free from retribution. You should be free to state what you want and how you feel. But also, you should be human enough to understand what your stirring is doing to your classmates, (some of which I see you talking to daily and I would assume consider you a friend.) Backhanded antics are counter-productive, and friends are better made then enemies. Similiarly, If you feel like you need help with something, I'm free and willing to help you. (My names not up, but it's not hard to figure out) I'm quite good at teaching/studying learning sessions... Though the image you put forth leads ot beleive your well ahead of me in the point scale, and your just causing grief...

And I'm done with the posting site, reading and posting on it. I've wasted 3 hours of my life today trying to find out who is doing stuff people think I am doing and writting this ungodly long msg post. Plus I got a butt load of Con. Law catching up to do.

P.S. I'm not just the founder of the Anti-Spell Checking on non-graded stuff Organization, but I'm also a Member.
Last edited by project_chronix on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
aguyingeorgia
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:09 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby aguyingeorgia » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:59 pm

3 things and I'll never read nor post in this thread again:

1. I think the education at Mercer is good. I don't think the opportunities coming out of there are what many are led to believe during the admissions process, but I believe you have a responsibility to do your own research. Most of the school won't get the law jobs that many dream of (myself included), but we all know the ranking, location, alumni network, etc. all play a signifcant role in this. Education wise, however, Mercer is a great option for many.

2. I don't think you should dog the school you are at, but I have no problem with someone sharing their personal opinions if it is based on their experiences. I've mentioned previously, in my mind, Mercer is the fourth ranked school in the state (and in many other minds). Again, this is not representative of the education received, because any ABA-approved school is going to give you a great education. This is just the opinion I share with others. However, I think while you are attending an institutiion, it is completely fine to share facts and your personal opinions without "dogging" the school. If you are an outsider like myself, you can share your opinions and thoughts, but really it comes from secondhand information and that should always be kept in mind. Firsthand information is important, and everyone is not going to have the same experience. Some may love it, some may hate it, in a very similar manner to the people you encounter in life, but everyone has the right to speak without fearing threats, vindictive behavior, etc.

3. I communicate with several Mercer 1L's, some on this board, some through other methods. Their experiences are varied, the same way someone's experience would be at Harvard, Yale, etc. This is just a fact of life. People have different thoughts and opinions. I have some friends that love the school, think it is the greatest choice they made, and have no fears about job placement, etc. I've got other friends that love the school and hate job prospects, and still others who hate everything about the school. i've got friends trying to transfer from there to UGA, Emory, etc., and I've also got friends trying to transfer from those schools to Mercer. My point is, people have different expectations, wants, and desires. Clearly Mercer isn't for everybody, but on that same note it is perfect for some people as well.

A legal education is something to be valued, wherever it comes from. I'm honestly a bit disappointed and horrified at some of the words going back and forth on this board, and from some of the things I've heard going on in response to things on this board. When people are worried and considering dropping out of a school because someone found out their thoughts during a particularly stressful time, or just in general, that isn't right. I don't care where you are in school.

I close with the following advice:

If you are considering Mercer, as with everything else on this board, take the good and the bad with a grain of salt. Do your own research, visit the school, and see if it is a place for you. That is the best advice anyone can give you.

If you are a current student at Mercer who hates the school, I feel for you. I don't think there is a student body in the world where everyone is happy, and if Mercer doesn't provide what you want, then I encourage you do something about it. Transfer, re-think the decision to practice law, or just buckle down and find some things about the school that you do enjoy. You are receiving a great education either way.

If you are a current student at Mercer who loves the school and has a lot of anger towards certain posters from your school who have disparaged, insulted, or bad-mouthed your school, I would encourage you to just let it go. Honestly, I think that what some of the posters have said, rudeness and name-calling aside, isn't as far off as you might like to believe. But understand that people come in with different goals and expectations, and at least recognize their right to speak. I don't think that anything that is said on this board hurts your school's reputation. People in Georgia know that you receive a quality education, and any prospective student that wants to read a board and not do their own research is probably not a student that you really want sitting next to you in any case.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Mercer, and I have a lot of reasons behind that. I've made no secret of that. On the other hand, I've had nothing but quality experiences with the people who are involved in administration there, teach there, and attend there. It just isn't for me. That said, I really hate to see people tear into each other, make threats, and in general strongly react to something that in the scheme of life, won't really matter.

Best wishes to you all.

I hope you Mercer folks can work it out, and let it go. I wish you all the best of luck.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest