. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

what to do

reapply next year and profit
23%
take Dillard or hypothetical Columbia/Chicago and run
77%

Total votes: 96

Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: help James Bungles decide what to do

Post by Danger Zone » Wed May 07, 2014 1:11 am

Maui53 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:This is one of the rare circumstances where I think OP will end up kicking himself if he waits out a year. Dillard may not be on the table next year.
Actually I think the OP should just kick himself off the attending law school path for at least one to two years. His indecisiveness is not suited to rational logical thinking.
This is also a completely defensible point of view.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed May 07, 2014 1:16 am

I'm really confused about what Bungle's thoughts coming into the cycle were.

Were YHS and CCN w/ six-figures the only options? If so, why even apply to other schools? There's no negotiation leverage to be gained.

This is one of the absolute best outcomes in the law school admissions game, only beaten by those very rare CCN full-rides.

So confused by this thread.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed May 07, 2014 1:19 am

Like, is it just an ego thing? It's like he got negged by those other schools and so now craves their acceptance above all else.
Last edited by cotiger on Wed May 07, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed May 07, 2014 1:21 am

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Tue May 20, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed May 07, 2014 1:23 am

james.bungles wrote:
cotiger wrote:I'm really confused about what Bungle's thoughts coming into the cycle were.

Were YHS and CCN w/ six-figures the only options? If so, why even apply to other schools? There's no negotiation leverage to be gained.

This is one of the absolute best outcomes in the law school admissions game, only beaten by those very rare CCN full-rides.

the debate was dillard now or try to get half tuition CCN next cycle since I would be able to cover the other half. basically the security of CCN versus lower t14
You keep repeating it like it's defensible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed May 07, 2014 1:25 am

james.bungles wrote:
cotiger wrote:I'm really confused about what Bungle's thoughts coming into the cycle were.

the debate was dillard now or try to get half tuition CCN next cycle since I would be able to cover the other half. basically the security of CCN versus lower t14
Right, I get that. But they're not going to negotiate up from $90k except from other CCN. So, if you're unhappy with a Dillard, there wasn't really a point to applying to anywhere except T6 anyway.

I think people are responding (somewhat outsizedly) badly to your thread because the seeming lack of self-awareness that a T14 full-ride is one of the absolute best outcomes you could hope for. The fact that you got dinged from YHS doesn't change that.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed May 07, 2014 1:29 am

james.bungles wrote: Should I pay $150k for a T6 or settle for a T7 for free? My life is so hard.
So, so hard.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed May 07, 2014 1:33 am

The OP really is faced with a tragedy. Let's all take a moment of e silence.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed May 07, 2014 1:35 am

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Tue May 20, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Maui53

New

Post by Maui53 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:31 am

james.bungles wrote:
cotiger wrote:
james.bungles wrote:

Right, I get that. But they're not going to negotiate up from $90k except from other CCN. So, if you're unhappy with a Dillard, there wasn't really a point to applying to anywhere except T6 anyway.

I think people are responding (somewhat outsizedly) badly to your thread because the seeming lack of self-awareness that a T14 full-ride is one of the absolute best outcomes you could hope for. The fact that you got dinged from YHS doesn't change that.
I don't think it's true that CCN will only negotiate up to 90k from other CCN. I'm sure a Levy would help get 90k from Chicago or NYU for instance (although maybe not NYU this cycle since they haven't given much of anything out).

I do realize I have a great option of course, I never denied that and am very thankful and blessed, but the fear of going this year and then striking out at UVA versus waiting a year and going somewhere with more security seemed like an important enough issue to bring up
It seems that you did not perform your due diligence before applying to law schools. For example I did not apply to the entire top 14. I skipped over the middle of the country which includes, U Mich, U Chicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, U Texas. I skipped Georgetown. I did not bother with Harvard, Yale or Penn. I knew that some of these were schools that I would not attend even with a full scholarship. I would never go to Texas, St Louis, DC or Philadelphia. That goes for Chicago too. I know myself, my profile and my comfort zone.

You are not comfortable with UVA for a variety of reasons. I would go with your gut feel, gracefully decline the Dillard and apply next cycle or the following one to schools that better reflect your taste. I intend to go to school in NY and work in NY. No point in applying to a school just because of a ranking if I do not want to live there, practice there or graduate from a certain school.

You seem conflicted about attending UVA. If I were this conflicted about a school, regardless of money, then I would sit out and try for a result that better meets my goals and comfort zone. Even with a full scholarship I would never go to Texas, St. Louis, Chicago, Northwestern, U Mich, Vanderbilt or UCLA. You appear to feel about UVA in a similar way. One only goes to law school once, thank god! No harm in regrouping and giving your dream your full effort. Sorry for any offensive remarks in previous posts, but I get frustrated with drama

Through this thread you seemed to be seeking support to sit out. Here you have it.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed May 07, 2014 2:34 am

I'm glad to see this thread was followed up by more stupidity.

Onomatopoeia

Gold

Post by Onomatopoeia » Wed May 07, 2014 2:40 am

maui you would not take a full ride to chicago? did you get a full ride to NYU or Columbia? not applying to these other schools could only have hurt your chances at the schools you want to attend - mainly in terms of getting money

hopefulapplicant2

New

Post by hopefulapplicant2 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:46 am

dele
Last edited by hopefulapplicant2 on Wed May 07, 2014 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 am

Maui do you have an alt?

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Wed May 07, 2014 7:25 am

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed May 07, 2014 9:49 am

yes please, tell us maui, where are you going to school and how much was your scholarship?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 am

james.bungles wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
james.bungles wrote:for some reason i thought this thread would more reasonable than the H v Y threads or HYS v hamilton/ruby threads but I guess i was wrong
That's because you appear to have extremely poor judgment. Perhaps you aren't really worthy of any T10, yet you've managed to fool one of them into letting you go to their school for free. There is a very easy answer in this scenario. Like, really fucking easy. Don't know why you seem unwilling to hear it...
it just seems like in other threads users usually don't crucify someone for taking a higher ranked school at less or no scholarship above a full tuition one (e.g. Yale over a Hamilton), and in this case the gap in job prospects (UVA v. HYSCC) are even more significant, so I thought that warranted some discussion
Actually, this cycle more than most, taking a higher ranked school at sticker over a closely ranked school on full tuition was universally frowned upon. The only people who wound up taking the higher ranked school had significat family money, because that's the only viable justification - one guy took yale over a rubenstein, but he had a very specific jd/mba flexible plan and even then he got a hard time. One guy in this thread wound up taking Harvard over the Dillard & Chicago, surely with the promise of full tuition parental scholarship (or else they were foolish). Several have committed to a lower T14 and then after their parents or grandparents committed their wallets they switched to Columbia or Harvard: this happens all the time, but you can't say these choices aren't still routinely criticized.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

truckstop

New

Post by truckstop » Wed May 07, 2014 10:48 am

james.bungles wrote:
cotiger wrote:
james.bungles wrote:

I don't think it's true that CCN will only negotiate up to 90k from other CCN. I'm sure a Levy would help get 90k from Chicago or NYU for instance (although maybe not NYU this cycle since they haven't given much of anything out).

I do realize I have a great option of course, I never denied that and am very thankful and blessed, but the fear of going this year and then striking out at UVA versus waiting a year and going somewhere with more security seemed like an important enough issue to bring up
Chicago did negotiate up to 90k based on my Dillard offer, but I wasn't accepted off the waitlist. I also picked the Dillard anyway.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Wed May 07, 2014 10:55 am

I wish I had seen the OP before it was deleted, but I gather that James and I are fairly similar applicants aside from my work experience. I had a better cycle, but I applied in October and have decent and relevant work experience.

I'm not sure that reapplying in 3 months is going to change your story very much James, so I'm inclined to tell you to take the Dillard. You have no idea what could happen next year in terms of applicants. Maybe a 173 will be the minimum number for these same scholarships as it seems that the number of LSATs administered and number of high scorers could be bottoming out.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about your options and not be put through the wringer while doing so.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 am

lastsamurai wrote:I wish I had seen the OP before it was deleted, but I gather that James and I are fairly similar applicants aside from my work experience. I had a better cycle, but I applied in October and have decent and relevant work experience.

I'm not sure that reapplying in 3 months is going to change your story very much James, so I'm inclined to tell you to take the Dillard. You have no idea what could happen next year in terms of applicants. Maybe a 173 will be the minimum number for these same scholarships as it seems that the number of LSATs administered and number of high scorers could be bottoming out.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about your options and not be put through the wringer while doing so.
Bolded is accurate.

OP, if you're going to decline a fantastic opportunity that 99.9 percent of the nation's law school applicants would kill for (and accept in a heartbeat), it should be because you want to do something apart from law for a while to Get Ya Mind Right (thank you, Young Jeezy) before matriculation.

If you're only declining the Dillard as part of some feeble attempt to game admissions next cycle in the hopes of securing some extra moolah out of CCN, then to decline is to err.

Bird in the hand, Bird in the hand, Bird in the hand...
Last edited by Power_of_Facing on Wed May 07, 2014 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed May 07, 2014 11:11 am

Take the Dillard- then take your savings account that you have accrued- and invest it. When you graduate 3 years from now, you will have a nice little nest egg- which you will be able to add to immediately when you start working. If you dont like your job, then you can spend a little more time looking for a better job that fits you, and not have to worry about paying down massive student loans.

Law school is risky. If you can mitigate the financial aspects of the risk, why would you NOT want to do that? Waiting for potentially better outcomes is a huge risk. Is it justifiable to pay for law school when you could have gone to a similar school for free? it could be, but that is a heavy burden to overcome- and frankly from what has been posted in this thread, I am not convinced that you will be able to overcome that burden.

Listen, you may not like this- but if you end up taking out loans for school, when you could have gone for free, and end up with the same type of job- you will have taken a risk, and lost. And you will regret that/ not be pleased with yourself over that.

Even if your parent were fortunate enough to pay for some of your schooling, how would you feel if you were in their shoes, and you told them " I had a full ride a a similar school, but turned it down for a school that I have to take out loan for/ you have to pay for". Probably not happy, especially if they were not aware of that fact. Unless they were totally happy with that, then you should not spend their money that recklessly.

If you dont our opinions, you should tell your parents about the UVA offer,and not hold back. If they are cool with it- fine, do what you want. If they tell you that you can go, but you are taking out the loans yourself- then you must be prepared to pay for all of law school, while knowing full well that you could have saved a lot of money, time, and stress by taking the dillard.

TLDR: TAKE THE DILLARD, or do not go to law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed May 07, 2014 12:24 pm

james.bungles wrote:
cotiger wrote:
james.bungles wrote:

So you're Jonesing to pay an extra $80k+higher COL+interest (maybe $110k overall?) because you're deathly afraid of striking out with zero debt?

And you're assuming that despite not even getting ACCEPTED to CC, they'll be willing to throw a half-tuition your way in a couple of months? And that UVA, that highly YP school that it is, will be willing to offer you another Dillard after you chose to not go to law school at all rather than accept it?

If you had gotten a mediocre UVA offer, then sure it would have made sense to sit it out, figure out what went wrong, etc, because someone with your numbers should expect a good admissions outcome. But you did get a good (great!) admissions outcome, and you're willing to throw it away for the CHANCE that T6 will like you better next year and give you a half-tuition that probably isn't actually a better outcome than UVA full-ride.

You've got prestige blinders on, dude, and you're giving the impression that you think your numbers entitle you to a specific admissions outcome. That's why people are freaking out at you. (Also because freaking out at people can be entertaining).

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed May 07, 2014 12:34 pm

cotiger wrote:But you did get a good (great!) admissions outcome, and you're willing to throw it away for the CHANCE that T6 will like you better next year and give you a half-tuition that probably isn't actually a better outcome than UVA full-ride.

You've got prestige blinders on, dude, and you're giving the impression that you think your numbers entitle you to a specific admissions outcome. That's why people are freaking out at you. (Also because freaking out at people can be entertaining).
Thank you for encapsulating what exactly was rubbing me the wrong way. I couldn't put my finger on it.

If UVA full ride (not to mention the fact that Charlottesville is a pretty sweet place to be with cheap CoL) doesn't get you excited then I don't know what to tell you. I'd still probably pick UVA for free over CCN at 50%.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”