Rutgers Camden vs. Seton Hall Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pgabra46

New

Rutgers Camden vs. Seton Hall

Post by pgabra46 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm currently torn between choosing Seton Hall or Rutgers Camden. Seton Hall is significantly more expensive, and I don't want to spend more there if my Job prospects are the same coming out of Camden. However, I do have an interest to practice law in NJ or NY. What should I do?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Rutgers Camden vs. Seton Hall

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun May 04, 2014 9:29 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:15 pm

COA?

pgabra46

New

Post by pgabra46 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:56 pm

47,000 for Seton, and 25k for Rutgers

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 04, 2014 11:28 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 05, 2014 12:16 am

I'm afraid those are actually per year COA's. Which means you have to retake the LSAT for a substantially higher score, or decide the practice of law is not for you. Anyone telling you otherwise is straight up disingenuous, although I doubt posters on this board would commit that sacrilege.

If those are total COA's including cost of living for three years, Rutgers. Not a bad price.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon May 05, 2014 2:03 am

Last edited by Danger Zone on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon May 05, 2014 6:47 am

pgabra46 wrote:47,000 for Seton, and 25k for Rutgers
Dude, don't make people guess. Give us all the info needed so you get the best advice.

donewithannarbor

New

Post by donewithannarbor » Mon May 05, 2014 11:11 am

Agreed, this affects the analysis completely. The market and ones ability to get a scholarship especially at schools like these is as pro-applicant as it has ever been. Frankly, it makes Seton and Rutgers very good options. But the difference between 25k/total and 25k/year is notable. I went to R-Newark for 60k total loan debt and was very pleased.

Why is R-Newark not in the mix if you want NYC doors opened too? No scholarship there? The schools' pending merger (probably 1-2 years away) aside, it is still going to be easier to get a career started in NYC or North Jersey if you were in Newark and not way down in Camden, which is really geared towards Philly and south Jersey.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Mon May 05, 2014 11:37 am

I would not go to Seton Hall unless it was free with no stipulation. They are known for section stacking, and misrepping their employment stats even worse than most schools.

brandy13

New

Post by brandy13 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:50 am

When did those of you accepted to Rutgers hear about scholarship money??

liberalartslawyer

New

Post by liberalartslawyer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:56 am

brandy13 wrote:When did those of you accepted to Rutgers hear about scholarship money??

It came in my admissions packet when I was accepted in January. They don't really play ball though - they're top offer is only like 18K a year.

LafayetteJeff

New

Post by LafayetteJeff » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:27 am

For Camden, Newark, or both? They do give full rides (24k/year), but obviously you don't get it just by asking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:49 am

I don't think either of these schools are great options unless you have a great scholarship.

However, to answer your question (instead of just giving you a generic don't go to either); go with the cheaper of the two. The only guarantee about law school is your debt, and that is something you can predict before going. The safer bet is always to take on less debt.

And finally, someone from Seton Hall (or knowledge of NY) would be able to answer this question better BUT I find it hard to believe a Seton Hall grad has many opportunities in NY.

brandy13

New

Post by brandy13 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:02 pm

liberalartslawyer wrote:
brandy13 wrote:When did those of you accepted to Rutgers hear about scholarship money??

It came in my admissions packet when I was accepted in January. They don't really play ball though - they're top offer is only like 18K a year.

In the email or just the mailed packet? How long did the mailed packet take after the email?

LafayetteJeff

New

Post by LafayetteJeff » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:21 pm

@Nick, the OP was about a year ago. This just got resurrected vis-a-vis scholarship administrative matters. Granted, confusing (having said that, what you say about SH Law is correct).

liberalartslawyer

New

Post by liberalartslawyer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:00 pm

brandy13 wrote:
liberalartslawyer wrote:

In the email or just the mailed packet? How long did the mailed packet take after the email?
This is for Rutgers Camden only. They sent me the packet a few weeks after the email- which included the scholarship info.

Was very disappointing since Seton gave out $$$ (just short of a full ride). At any rate, am not going to either school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LafayetteJeff

New

Post by LafayetteJeff » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:38 pm

Out of curiousity what did R-C give you? Obviously 18k there is close to a full ride. In other words $$ scholarship at Rutgers is as good as $$$ at Seton because Rutgers MSRP is $$$ and Seton's is $$$$($?). You get my drift...

Where did you choose, if anywhere?

liberalartslawyer

New

Post by liberalartslawyer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:17 am

LafayetteJeff wrote:Out of curiousity what did R-C give you? Obviously 18k there is close to a full ride. In other words $$ scholarship at Rutgers is as good as $$$ at Seton because Rutgers MSRP is $$$ and Seton's is $$$$($?). You get my drift...

Where did you choose, if anywhere?

Rutgers Camden only gave me 18,000/yr - they claimed in my admissions packet that this is the highest amount they give out. This is not close to a full ride if you are out of state (I'm in a neighboring state at the moment). Out of state tuition is $35,168.

I primarily applied to Rutgers and Seton to try and gain some high $$$ bargaining chips (this sounds terrible, but it really is how you have to play the scholarship game). I've deposited at Notre Dame (with a decent scholarship).

LafayetteJeff

New

Post by LafayetteJeff » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:53 am

Good on you and congrats. Nothing 'terrible' at all there!

Interesting how they represented they don't go higher. R-Newark is what I know better, and they go full ride (24k) for strong applicants. All of this is probably water under the bridge next cycle once they are merged into a single Rutgers Law School w/ uniform admissions (student will choose their campus upon admission).

I assume your plan was living in Philly and not moving to Jersey. In that case, I see your point. At Newark, almost everyone is treated as in-state even when they move directly from elsewhere. Only a very small contingency elects to remain in NYC when you can save 15k off the bat by living in Jersey City/Hob/Newark/etc. Not sure I'd move into South Jersey though ;)

thx for sharing

ijomer

New

Post by ijomer » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:34 am

don't listen to some people giving negative comments from people above about seton hall.... seton hall has better employment stats than even a school like Fordham... most of these guys don't know what they are talking about

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:42 am

ijomer wrote:don't listen to some people giving negative comments from people above about seton hall.... seton hall has better employment stats than even a school like Fordham... most of these guys don't know what they are talking about
Why do you keep bumping old threads to hype up seton hall and type in bold

Also, do you even know what you're talking about? Last year seton hall sent a massive 43.6% of their class (116 grads) to state or local clerkships, which are usually considered bad outcomes, as they are short-term gigs that often lead to absolutely nothing afterwards

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”