GULC v Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school to attend?

Penn
46
88%
GULC
6
12%
 
Total votes: 52

gobosox

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

GULC v Penn

Postby gobosox » Sat May 03, 2014 7:19 am

All things equal now. Penn v Georgetown. 3.4/170. Not retaking. In airport now flying to visit both. Coa approx 35k each, not factoring in part time job or internships, which I will have. Looking for pi-- doj, bigfed, da, maybe a clerkship, as it will help with those. Not sure where I want to live but probably boston.

I know Penn's numbers are higher, but I would love to live in dc for a few years and I think it would be helpful to intern there-- I think establishing ties to the area will help. Also not looking forward to having to move away from philly to get desirable summer jobs, whereas dc will be seamless.

I have heard a lot of anti-gulc bias and have reviewed all the lst data. I keep going back and forth, but it is hard to tell if gulc is really as toxic as many on tls will have you believe.

Can you please explain your rationale to a greater extent than "it's ranked higher" or similar. We all know the semantics of getting a job are much more nuanced than school rank and percentages. Thanks for the help! Tls has been an invaluable resource.

For those that are wondering, both extended the deposit deadline until after my visit next week.

User avatar
goldenboy514

Silver
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby goldenboy514 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:07 am

Assuming COA @ Penn would be roughly 105k pre interest and tuition increase per year, thats a great price. All things being equal between the two schools, COL is cheeper in philly then DC and the class size is much smaller at Penn. It sounds like you are leaning towards GULC and are looking for reasons that GULC is equal to Penn. I wont give you those reasons that they are equal, because I dont see them as being equal.

If your truly targeting DC for employment, Penn places better in DC as well as NYC and all other major markets:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/state/DC/2013/

Targeting Fed Clerkship? Penn places better then GULC

I think the only way I would consider GULC over Penn @ equal costs is if you were dead set on PI work.
(Penn 0L Bias FWIW)

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10277
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 03, 2014 11:44 am

goldenboy514 wrote:
I think the only way I would consider GULC over Penn @ equal costs is if you were dead set on PI work.
(Penn 0L Bias FWIW)


Nah. Penn is just better on every metric.

User avatar
wolf

Bronze
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby wolf » Sat May 03, 2014 12:10 pm

GULC 2L here. Penn is definitely the right choice at equal cost. I would have chose GULC over Penn, but I was unwilling to live in the NE or Cali unless it was for HYS. My choices were always between Duke, UVA and GULC. I ended up here because it was half the cost of the other two. I just can't see any reason, other than family reasons, for attending GULC over the other T-14s at anywhere near the same cost if you want the NE. The employment numbers are just that different.

That said, I have no regrets. GULC is a great school. I spent my 1L summer at DOJ and externed at DHS HQ last fall. This summer I will be at biglaw. However, median and below is a dangerous place to be at GULC.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Sat May 03, 2014 2:09 pm

gobosox wrote:All things equal now. Penn v Georgetown. 3.4/170. Not retaking. In airport now flying to visit both. Coa approx 35k each, not factoring in part time job or internships, which I will have. Looking for pi-- doj, bigfed, da, maybe a clerkship, as it will help with those. Not sure where I want to live but probably boston.

I know Penn's numbers are higher, but I would love to live in dc for a few years and I think it would be helpful to intern there-- I think establishing ties to the area will help. Also not looking forward to having to move away from philly to get desirable summer jobs, whereas dc will be seamless.

I have heard a lot of anti-gulc bias and have reviewed all the lst data. I keep going back and forth, but it is hard to tell if gulc is really as toxic as many on tls will have you believe.

Can you please explain your rationale to a greater extent than "it's ranked higher" or similar. We all know the semantics of getting a job are much more nuanced than school rank and percentages. Thanks for the help! Tls has been an invaluable resource.

For those that are wondering, both extended the deposit deadline until after my visit next week.


If you choose GULC over Penn at the same price you deserve to be taken out back and shot. If they're both the same price would you rather buy a Mercedez Benz or a Toyota Corolla? "I've heard a lot of anti-Toyota Corolla bias on these forums, I'd like to hear cogent reasons why its not better than a Benz." Just LOL.....

1. Penn will give you a MUCH better chance of a good outcome. Firms go WAY deeper into Penn's class than GULC's. Median at Penn = you're FINE. Median at GULC = you're FUCKED.
2. You will be competing with way more students at GULC (class size = ~650) versus Penn (~250). GULC students are a dime a dozen, ESPECIALLY in DC.
3. You can always intern in DC during the summer, or extern during a semester for credits (I'm sure Penn allows this).
4. DC, GULC's home market, is COMPETITIVE AS SHIT. You'll be standing behind a long line of HYS & PVD kids for most of the jobs you want.

There are MANY more reasons why Penn is objectively FAR better than GULC. It isn't just because Penn is "ranked a few spots higher." No one gives a fuck about that here, it's all 'bout dem job prospects. Don't be dumb, play the odds man.

EDIT: Just noticed you are "PI-focused" (though all the jobs you listed are government... semantics, meh). You won't get big fed or DOJ without big firm experience (or comparable). They don't hire law students. You can possibly land a DA gig straight out, but it you'll probably have to go to some podunk town, as most big city DA's want to see a few years of trial experience. Penn will give you a significantly better shot at the prerequisites for these jobs, as well a better shot at landing a clerkship.

User avatar
Nelson

Gold
Posts: 2058
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby Nelson » Sat May 03, 2014 2:16 pm

Honestly, I doubt that Penn is much stronger than GULC for fedgov. You will need to be incredibly luck and have top grades from either. Penn is much stronger for everything else. You're unlikely to get fedgov right out of school but Penn puts you in a much better place to target DC biglaw. You won't be interning during your first two years of law school anyway. You can spend your summers in DC and even extern in DC for part of your 3L year from Penn if you want.

lecsa

Bronze
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby lecsa » Sat May 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Penn is a lot better for NYC biglaw, but for fed gov/clerkships, I'd say it's about equal. If you're PI focused, I think GULC might be better simply due to connections the school may have, but most PI is not school obsessed.

If you don't care about biglaw, then it's not crazy to choose GULC over Penn, although I'd still choose Penn over GULC at equal cost.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Sat May 03, 2014 2:54 pm

lecsa wrote:Penn is a lot better for NYC biglaw, but for fed gov/clerkships, I'd say it's about equal. If you're PI focused, I think GULC might be better simply due to connections the school may have, but most PI is not school obsessed.

If you don't care about biglaw, then it's not crazy to choose GULC over Penn, although I'd still choose Penn over GULC at equal cost.


Hoping for for fed gov straight out of law school is incredibly naive/stupid. Fed gov hires mostly out of big firms. So saying you don't want biglaw is not that different than saying "I won't get fed gov." It's objectively retarded to choose GULC over Penn if they are the same price. If you pick GULC based on "subjective" factors, you are subjectively retarded. (only exception = you are filthy rich and are only doing law school to satisfy your parents so they keep writing you checks).

Penn is not just better for biglaw... It is better for EVERYTHING. Why are people denying this? This is fucking mystifying...

lecsa

Bronze
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby lecsa » Sat May 03, 2014 2:57 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
lecsa wrote:Penn is a lot better for NYC biglaw, but for fed gov/clerkships, I'd say it's about equal. If you're PI focused, I think GULC might be better simply due to connections the school may have, but most PI is not school obsessed.

If you don't care about biglaw, then it's not crazy to choose GULC over Penn, although I'd still choose Penn over GULC at equal cost.


Hoping for for fed gov straight out of law school is incredibly naive/stupid. Fed gov hires mostly out of big firms. So saying you don't want biglaw is not that different than saying "I won't get fed gov." It's objectively retarded to choose GULC over Penn if they are the same price. If you pick GULC based on "subjective" factors, you are subjectively retarded. (only exception = you are filthy rich and are only doing law school to satisfy your parents so they keep writing you checks).

Penn is not just better for biglaw... It is better for EVERYTHING. Why are people denying this? This is fucking mystifying...


Because it's not better for everything. It's better for biglaw.

You can get fed gov straight out, although you likely need very good grades from both schools. And yes fed gov hires often out of firms and clerkships, or through connections.

I guess I just don't see the reason for doing X years in biglaw (it's miserable) if you can afford to avoid it just to have a shot at landing X job. There are a lot of law jobs outside of biglaw that provide much better experience and QOL. Biglaw, at least imo, is for poor grads who are looking for a quick way to get out of debt. If you can afford it, you might as well intern for free in fed gov after graduation and a land a job through connections/internship.

User avatar
goldenboy514

Silver
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby goldenboy514 » Sat May 03, 2014 3:07 pm

lecsa wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:
lecsa wrote:Penn is a lot better for NYC biglaw, but for fed gov/clerkships, I'd say it's about equal. If you're PI focused, I think GULC might be better simply due to connections the school may have, but most PI is not school obsessed.

If you don't care about biglaw, then it's not crazy to choose GULC over Penn, although I'd still choose Penn over GULC at equal cost.


Hoping for for fed gov straight out of law school is incredibly naive/stupid. Fed gov hires mostly out of big firms. So saying you don't want biglaw is not that different than saying "I won't get fed gov." It's objectively retarded to choose GULC over Penn if they are the same price. If you pick GULC based on "subjective" factors, you are subjectively retarded. (only exception = you are filthy rich and are only doing law school to satisfy your parents so they keep writing you checks).

Penn is not just better for biglaw... It is better for EVERYTHING. Why are people denying this? This is fucking mystifying...


Because it's not better for everything. It's better for biglaw.

You can get fed gov straight out, although you likely need very good grades from both schools. And yes fed gov hires often out of firms and clerkships, or through connections.

I guess I just don't see the reason for doing X years in biglaw (it's miserable) if you can afford to avoid it just to have a shot at landing X job. There are a lot of law jobs outside of biglaw that provide much better experience and QOL. Biglaw, at least imo, is for poor grads who are looking for a quick way to get out of debt. If you can afford it, you might as well intern for free in fed gov after graduation and a land a job through connections/internship.


LOL so Biglaw is for like everyone in that case

User avatar
Nelson

Gold
Posts: 2058
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby Nelson » Sat May 03, 2014 4:22 pm

lecsa wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:
lecsa wrote:Penn is a lot better for NYC biglaw, but for fed gov/clerkships, I'd say it's about equal. If you're PI focused, I think GULC might be better simply due to connections the school may have, but most PI is not school obsessed.

If you don't care about biglaw, then it's not crazy to choose GULC over Penn, although I'd still choose Penn over GULC at equal cost.


Hoping for for fed gov straight out of law school is incredibly naive/stupid. Fed gov hires mostly out of big firms. So saying you don't want biglaw is not that different than saying "I won't get fed gov." It's objectively retarded to choose GULC over Penn if they are the same price. If you pick GULC based on "subjective" factors, you are subjectively retarded. (only exception = you are filthy rich and are only doing law school to satisfy your parents so they keep writing you checks).

Penn is not just better for biglaw... It is better for EVERYTHING. Why are people denying this? This is fucking mystifying...


Because it's not better for everything. It's better for biglaw.

You can get fed gov straight out, although you likely need very good grades from both schools. And yes fed gov hires often out of firms and clerkships, or through connections.

I guess I just don't see the reason for doing X years in biglaw (it's miserable) if you can afford to avoid it just to have a shot at landing X job. There are a lot of law jobs outside of biglaw that provide much better experience and QOL. Biglaw, at least imo, is for poor grads who are looking for a quick way to get out of debt. If you can afford it, you might as well intern for free in fed gov after graduation and a land a job through connections/internship.

Your own post contradicts itself. You say "you can get fed gov but you need good grades" and then "just do fed gov straight out." That doesn't make sense. Odds are, OP is not going to be top 5% of his class and able to get a COA clerkship into fed gov right away. This means he's going through OCI with everyone else because the alternative is unemployment.

lecsa

Bronze
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby lecsa » Sat May 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Nelson wrote:
lecsa wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:
lecsa wrote:Penn is a lot better for NYC biglaw, but for fed gov/clerkships, I'd say it's about equal. If you're PI focused, I think GULC might be better simply due to connections the school may have, but most PI is not school obsessed.

If you don't care about biglaw, then it's not crazy to choose GULC over Penn, although I'd still choose Penn over GULC at equal cost.


Hoping for for fed gov straight out of law school is incredibly naive/stupid. Fed gov hires mostly out of big firms. So saying you don't want biglaw is not that different than saying "I won't get fed gov." It's objectively retarded to choose GULC over Penn if they are the same price. If you pick GULC based on "subjective" factors, you are subjectively retarded. (only exception = you are filthy rich and are only doing law school to satisfy your parents so they keep writing you checks).

Penn is not just better for biglaw... It is better for EVERYTHING. Why are people denying this? This is fucking mystifying...


Because it's not better for everything. It's better for biglaw.

You can get fed gov straight out, although you likely need very good grades from both schools. And yes fed gov hires often out of firms and clerkships, or through connections.

I guess I just don't see the reason for doing X years in biglaw (it's miserable) if you can afford to avoid it just to have a shot at landing X job. There are a lot of law jobs outside of biglaw that provide much better experience and QOL. Biglaw, at least imo, is for poor grads who are looking for a quick way to get out of debt. If you can afford it, you might as well intern for free in fed gov after graduation and a land a job through connections/internship.

Your own post contradicts itself. You say "you can get fed gov but you need good grades" and then "just do fed gov straight out." That doesn't make sense. Odds are, OP is not going to be top 5% of his class and able to get a COA clerkship into fed gov right away. This means he's going through OCI with everyone else because the alternative is unemployment.


Paid fed gov straight out you need good grades. I know a few people who interned with the DOJ etc. with subpar grades for free then landed paid fed gov through connections from working there. Same thing with federal clerkships (landed solely through connections).

Are you guys 0Ls though? If so, please STFU. YOu have no idea how terrible biglaw is. And a lot of the exit opps are crap.

hopefulapplicant2

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby hopefulapplicant2 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:35 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
gobosox wrote:All things equal now. Penn v Georgetown. 3.4/170. Not retaking. In airport now flying to visit both. Coa approx 35k each, not factoring in part time job or internships, which I will have. Looking for pi-- doj, bigfed, da, maybe a clerkship, as it will help with those. Not sure where I want to live but probably boston.

I know Penn's numbers are higher, but I would love to live in dc for a few years and I think it would be helpful to intern there-- I think establishing ties to the area will help. Also not looking forward to having to move away from philly to get desirable summer jobs, whereas dc will be seamless.

I have heard a lot of anti-gulc bias and have reviewed all the lst data. I keep going back and forth, but it is hard to tell if gulc is really as toxic as many on tls will have you believe.

Can you please explain your rationale to a greater extent than "it's ranked higher" or similar. We all know the semantics of getting a job are much more nuanced than school rank and percentages. Thanks for the help! Tls has been an invaluable resource.

For those that are wondering, both extended the deposit deadline until after my visit next week.


If you choose GULC over Penn at the same price you deserve to be taken out back and shot. If they're both the same price would you rather buy a Mercedez Benz or a Toyota Corolla? "I've heard a lot of anti-Toyota Corolla bias on these forums, I'd like to hear cogent reasons why its not better than a Benz." Just LOL.....

1. Penn will give you a MUCH better chance of a good outcome. Firms go WAY deeper into Penn's class than GULC's. Median at Penn = you're FINE. Median at GULC = you're FUCKED.
2. You will be competing with way more students at GULC (class size = ~650) versus Penn (~250). GULC students are a dime a dozen, ESPECIALLY in DC.
3. You can always intern in DC during the summer, or extern during a semester for credits (I'm sure Penn allows this).
4. DC, GULC's home market, is COMPETITIVE AS SHIT. You'll be standing behind a long line of HYS & PVD kids for most of the jobs you want.

There are MANY more reasons why Penn is objectively FAR better than GULC. It isn't just because Penn is "ranked a few spots higher." No one gives a fuck about that here, it's all 'bout dem job prospects. Don't be dumb, play the odds man.

EDIT: Just noticed you are "PI-focused" (though all the jobs you listed are government... semantics, meh). You won't get big fed or DOJ without big firm experience (or comparable). They don't hire law students. You can possibly land a DA gig straight out, but it you'll probably have to go to some podunk town, as most big city DA's want to see a few years of trial experience. Penn will give you a significantly better shot at the prerequisites for these jobs, as well a better shot at landing a clerkship.


I agree. DC is 1.5 to 2 hours from Philadelphia. Not across the world. Far better alumni network and more prestigious name recognition at Penn.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Sat May 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Paid fed gov straight out you need good grades. I know a few people who interned with the DOJ etc. with subpar grades for free then landed paid fed gov through connections.


And this supports your point that GULC is better than Penn for things "other than big law" how? Did those friends graduate from GULC? Were they told something like "had you gone to Penn & not GULC, this opportunity would've never availed itself to you?"

I challenge you to list a single job that GULC will give you better chances than Penn of attaining. Preferably with statistical support.

It isn't Big law: GULC (41.4%) v. Penn (59.8%)
It isn't fed Clerkships: GULC (5.1%) v. Penn (9.3%)
AH HERE IT IS! A school funded job! GULC (12.9%) v. Penn (5%)
OR: NO Job/Starbucks! GULC (7.4%) v. Penn (3.1%)

lecsa

Bronze
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby lecsa » Sat May 03, 2014 5:46 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
Paid fed gov straight out you need good grades. I know a few people who interned with the DOJ etc. with subpar grades for free then landed paid fed gov through connections.


And this supports your point that GULC is better than Penn for things "other than big law" how? Did those friends graduate from GULC? Were they told something like "had you gone to Penn & not GULC, this opportunity would've never availed itself to you?"

I challenge you to list a single job that GULC will give you better chances than Penn of attaining. Preferably with statistical support.

It isn't Big law: GULC (41.4%) v. Penn (59.8%)
It isn't fed Clerkships: GULC (5.1%) v. Penn (9.3%)
AH HERE IT IS! A school funded job! GULC (12.9%) v. Penn (5%)
OR: NO Job/Starbucks! GULC (7.4%) v. Penn (3.1%)


These friends did not go to T-14s, but worse schools.

Biglaw, Penn is better.
Fed clerkships, difference is negligible. I don't see why that offends you. Neither one is HYS and therefore the difference in fed clerkships is negligible.
I'm saying if you don't want biglaw, the difference doesnt matter that much. Some fed gov jobs require biglaw, but if you can go straight through (intern, connections etc) and not worry about money, why bother. I think PI is better than biglaw if money doesnt matter.

I didn't go to either one. I just think you are exaggerating the difference outside of biglaw.

NoChainz

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 10:15 am

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby NoChainz » Sat May 03, 2014 6:05 pm

lecsa wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:
Paid fed gov straight out you need good grades. I know a few people who interned with the DOJ etc. with subpar grades for free then landed paid fed gov through connections.


And this supports your point that GULC is better than Penn for things "other than big law" how? Did those friends graduate from GULC? Were they told something like "had you gone to Penn & not GULC, this opportunity would've never availed itself to you?"

I challenge you to list a single job that GULC will give you better chances than Penn of attaining. Preferably with statistical support.

It isn't Big law: GULC (41.4%) v. Penn (59.8%)
It isn't fed Clerkships: GULC (5.1%) v. Penn (9.3%)
AH HERE IT IS! A school funded job! GULC (12.9%) v. Penn (5%)
OR: NO Job/Starbucks! GULC (7.4%) v. Penn (3.1%)


These friends did not go to T-14s, but worse schools.

Biglaw, Penn is better.
Fed clerkships, difference is negligible. I don't see why that offends you. Neither one is HYS and therefore the difference in fed clerkships is negligible.
I'm saying if you don't want biglaw, the difference doesnt matter that much. Some fed gov jobs require biglaw, but if you can go straight through (intern, connections etc) and not worry about money, why bother. I think PI is better than biglaw if money doesnt matter.

I didn't go to either one. I just think you are exaggerating the difference outside of biglaw.


Were your friends working for free while in school? Or after-graduation?

User avatar
Nelson

Gold
Posts: 2058
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby Nelson » Sat May 03, 2014 6:17 pm

Nelson wrote:
lecsa wrote:Your own post contradicts itself. You say "you can get fed gov but you need good grades" and then "just do fed gov straight out." That doesn't make sense. Odds are, OP is not going to be top 5% of his class and able to get a COA clerkship into fed gov right away. This means he's going through OCI with everyone else because the alternative is unemployment.


Paid fed gov straight out you need good grades. I know a few people who interned with the DOJ etc. with subpar grades for free then landed paid fed gov through connections from working there. Same thing with federal clerkships (landed solely through connections).

Are you guys 0Ls though? If so, please STFU. YOu have no idea how terrible biglaw is. And a lot of the exit opps are crap.

I get that your shtick is "biglaw sucks", but you're doing OP a disservice by telling him to go to GULC for six figures in debt and work for free thereby networking his way into a fed gov job. That's terrible career advice. You should just go back to telling people not to go to law school since that's at least a credible position.

gobosox

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby gobosox » Sat May 03, 2014 7:30 pm

I suppose my point is that those numbers are percentages and indicative of a higher chance on the macro scale, but on the micro scale, they matter much less. Of course, the macro forces obviously help the probability.

I think I'm trying to rationalize wanting to live in DC and not move for 3 years. The idea of moving all over during the summers sucks, but I think it probably is more of an inconvenience rather than a prohibitive factor. Anyone else disagree?

Thanks for the input, all. Even the people that others were jumping all over. Does anyone have access to employment / OCI data for either school? (With much more granularity, like callback interview #s, specific firms and locations, etc.)

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Sat May 03, 2014 8:14 pm

gobosox wrote:I suppose my point is that those numbers are percentages and indicative of a higher chance on the macro scale, but on the micro scale, they matter much less. Of course, the macro forces obviously help the probability.

I think I'm trying to rationalize wanting to live in DC and not move for 3 years. The idea of moving all over during the summers sucks, but I think it probably is more of an inconvenience rather than a prohibitive factor. Anyone else disagree?

Thanks for the input, all. Even the people that others were jumping all over. Does anyone have access to employment / OCI data for either school? (With much more granularity, like callback interview #s, specific firms and locations, etc.)


You are correct. You are attempting to rationalize going to an objectively worse school for the same price because of where you want to live for the next three years. It's not the end of the world if you go to GULC, you are just objectively hurting your chances for a successful outcome in the face of a 6-figure risky investment.

You've already ignored the poll results and the extensive # of posts pointing out the disparity in the numbers. You don't need even more data to dismiss to support your goal of self-justification. WTF does "on a micro scale, they matter much less" even mean? Statistics are statistics man. Are you expecting to find some set of "micro numbers" that demonstrate that you, with your specific personal attributes, will be successful at GULC??

FACT: Penn's employment #'s wipe the FLOOR with GULC's employment numbers EVERY YEAR. Make up reasons to deny/minimize this all you want. Just go to GULC and stop wasting everyone's time.

Here, just for you: GULC is a way better school for what YOU want to do! You should TOTALLY pick it over Penn because it's better FOR YOU!

There. Bye.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10277
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 03, 2014 8:22 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
gobosox wrote:I suppose my point is that those numbers are percentages and indicative of a higher chance on the macro scale, but on the micro scale, they matter much less. Of course, the macro forces obviously help the probability.

I think I'm trying to rationalize wanting to live in DC and not move for 3 years. The idea of moving all over during the summers sucks, but I think it probably is more of an inconvenience rather than a prohibitive factor. Anyone else disagree?

Thanks for the input, all. Even the people that others were jumping all over. Does anyone have access to employment / OCI data for either school? (With much more granularity, like callback interview #s, specific firms and locations, etc.)


You are correct. You are attempting to rationalize going to an objectively worse school for the same price because of where you want to live for the next three years. It's not the end of the world if you go to GULC, you are just objectively hurting your chances for a successful outcome in the face of a 6-figure risky investment.

You've already ignored the poll results and the extensive # of posts pointing out the disparity in the numbers. You don't need even more data to dismiss to support your goal of self-justification. WTF does "on a micro scale, they matter much less" even mean? Statistics are statistics man. Are you expecting to find some set of "micro numbers" that demonstrate that you, with your specific personal attributes, will be successful at GULC??

FACT: Penn's employment #'s wipe the FLOOR with GULC's employment numbers EVERY YEAR. Make up reasons to deny/minimize this all you want. Just go to GULC and stop wasting everyone's time.

Here, just for you: GULC is a way better school for what YOU want to do! You should TOTALLY pick it over Penn because it's better FOR YOU!

There. Bye.


There was a Georgetown law grad handing out fliers today for "StudySongs: Melody to Memory", some bar prep tool set to music. I guess that's a JD Advantage position

Poopface

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:03 am

Re: GULC v Penn

Postby Poopface » Sat May 03, 2014 8:23 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
gobosox wrote:I suppose my point is that those numbers are percentages and indicative of a higher chance on the macro scale, but on the micro scale, they matter much less. Of course, the macro forces obviously help the probability.

I think I'm trying to rationalize wanting to live in DC and not move for 3 years. The idea of moving all over during the summers sucks, but I think it probably is more of an inconvenience rather than a prohibitive factor. Anyone else disagree?

Thanks for the input, all. Even the people that others were jumping all over. Does anyone have access to employment / OCI data for either school? (With much more granularity, like callback interview #s, specific firms and locations, etc.)


You are correct. You are attempting to rationalize going to an objectively worse school for the same price because of where you want to live for the next three years. It's not the end of the world if you go to GULC, you are just objectively hurting your chances for a successful outcome in the face of a 6-figure risky investment.

You've already ignored the poll results and the extensive # of posts pointing out the disparity in the numbers. You don't need even more data to dismiss to support your goal of self-justification. WTF does "on a micro scale, they matter much less" even mean? Statistics are statistics man. Are you expecting to find some set of "micro numbers" that demonstrate that you, with your specific personal attributes, will be successful at GULC??

FACT: Penn's employment #'s wipe the FLOOR with GULC's employment numbers EVERY YEAR. Make up reasons to deny/minimize this all you want. Just go to GULC and stop wasting everyone's time.

Here, just for you: GULC is a way better school for what YOU want to do! You should TOTALLY pick it over Penn because it's better FOR YOU!

There. Bye.



Bro why do you love georgetown so much, get off their diq



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests