Guide Me Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick one

Go to Berkeley at that crazy COA
5%
Ride them WLs and take one of them (specify school in comments)
4%
Ride them WLs in hopes of negotiating with Berkeley
3%
Pull out and Reapply next year
84%
Retake
4%

Total votes: 74

DportIA

Bronze

Re: Guide Me

Post by DportIA » Thu May 01, 2014 7:50 pm

lol @ $12k scholarship. I am not sure that even counts @ that price.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu May 01, 2014 8:08 pm

I see you managed to include the Retake.

However, i would revamp your essays, and find another LOR ( to replace the composition professor's letter), and send them off asap. Use the summer to write a WHY X essay if you want.

But with those numbers, you should be going for (nearly) free

Wiggly

Bronze

Post by Wiggly » Thu May 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Last edited by Wiggly on Sun May 25, 2014 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu May 01, 2014 8:20 pm

it doesnt really matter if you withdraw or decide to ride the waitlist. But If I were you, I would not consider attending any school this cycle unless you get a substantial scholarship that reduces the cost of attendance to less than 75K for all 3 years.

Wiggly

Bronze

Post by Wiggly » Thu May 01, 2014 8:22 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu May 01, 2014 8:44 pm

JSWright101 wrote:
northwood wrote:it doesnt really matter if you withdraw or decide to ride the waitlist. But If I were you, I would not consider attending any school this cycle unless you get a substantial scholarship that reduces the cost of attendance to less than 75K for all 3 years.
True. And if the H WL turns around, you'd say to forgo that or? I'm pretty debt averse so I would have probably leaned CCNMVPB with $$$ over HYS (though I might possibly be one of the highest grant #s at those).

Yes. Especially since you are debt averse ( unless they give you a great offer)

Wiggly

Bronze

Post by Wiggly » Thu May 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Thu May 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Are you suspected of being a member of Al-Qaeda? I don't get how you got screwed so bad. You should've been a lock for plenty of these schools.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 01, 2014 9:59 pm

I voted for reapplying, along with like 40 other people.

I would also probably go if you got off the WL at Columbia or Harvard and got financial aid (not at sticker).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu May 01, 2014 9:59 pm

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Wed May 07, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Thu May 01, 2014 10:19 pm

Why is Chicago not on your list? Your numbers should make you competitive for the Ruby. I get that your SO hates the cold, but Chicago could very well end up being- by far- the best option for your goals. Also, you applied to Michigan, so cold can't be that much of an issue. I'd ride the WLs just in case a school decides to pay for your numbers late in the cycle, but I think reapplying is definitely TCR in your situation.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Fri May 02, 2014 9:35 pm

apply again for next year.

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Fri May 02, 2014 10:10 pm

AfghanTourist wrote:Why is Chicago not on your list? Your numbers should make you competitive for the Ruby. I get that your SO hates the cold, but Chicago could very well end up being- by far- the best option for your goals. Also, you applied to Michigan, so cold can't be that much of an issue. I'd ride the WLs just in case a school decides to pay for your numbers late in the cycle, but I think reapplying is definitely TCR in your situation.
They don't give the Ruby based on numbers. There's obviously a minimum standard but beyond that it's softs. OP obviously doesn't have the softs given his track record.

I would bet money OPs PS is a mess.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Fri May 02, 2014 11:44 pm

JSWright101 wrote:
james.bungles wrote:Was your last retake in Feb?
Nope it was December. Honestly, it's really the way I did my apps I think: I wrote everything (PS, extra essays, all of that clerical stuff, EVERYTHING) in like 2 weeks so I wouldn't be applying really late and I was pretty burned out after 3 LSATS in a row so yeah - wasn't my best work. Still I didn't realize at the time that my app was so bad that it would counteract my numbers entirely. Oh well better luck next time.
I'm really shocked as well- even if you scribbled an application in crayon you should be getting in almost everywhere with your numbers. Definitely reapply, then take a near full-ride at the T14 of your choosing. Have your friends or hell even your parents help you edit your personal statements.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Sat May 03, 2014 12:23 am

SFrost wrote:
They don't give the Ruby based on numbers. There's obviously a minimum standard but beyond that it's softs. OP obviously doesn't have the softs given his track record.

I would bet money OPs PS is a mess.
This is totally wrong. The Ruby is all about numbers. Where the hell did you come up with this?

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Sat May 03, 2014 12:45 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wiggly

Bronze

Post by Wiggly » Sat May 03, 2014 1:32 am

Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat May 03, 2014 9:18 am

[quote="JSWright101"]Ok I would just like to make it clear that while there are issues with my PS (I tried to be a bit attention grabbing as I did not know my final LSAT score and was running with a 169/165 up until that so it's overly flower-y, the language is a bit unusual, its a bit fragmented and there's definitely a negative narrative that can be seen in it) there are no grammatical/spelling errors in it and I did have it reviewed by two professors who both liked it. It's not like a wrote it in crayon - it just could be better.

that sounds like the root to a lot of your problems. Good thing there's a thread on TLS that will help you with that ( and for your WHY SCHOOL X essays). Use it, and start rewriting your essays now, so you have more time to perfect them and still be able to turn them in on the first possible day.

Unless you get in off the WL with a full scholarship, If I were you, I would definitely reapply next year and forget about matriculating to school now. Especially since you have a serious SO, and need to take as much time to go over location, expenses, opportunities for you and SO, etc.

Wiggly

Bronze

Post by Wiggly » Sat May 03, 2014 9:33 am

Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lewisandclark

New

Post by lewisandclark » Sat May 03, 2014 9:37 am

I'd also be happy to look over the PS/application for you if you'd like.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:01 am

JSWright101 wrote:Ok I would just like to make it clear that while there are issues with my PS (I tried to be a bit attention grabbing as I did not know my final LSAT score and was running with a 169/165 up until that so it's overly flower-y, the language is a bit unusual, its a bit fragmented and there's definitely a negative narrative that can be seen in it) there are no grammatical/spelling errors in it and I did have it reviewed by two professors who both liked it. It's not like a wrote it in crayon - it just could be better.

I'm getting the feeling some people think I'm some super idiot that accidentally has a 174 and a 4.05. I was a music major in college - I should have focused more strongly on 'why law' because with an undergrad degree like that schools are probably thinking 'why law' (I've heard some music majors tend to fair poorly before actually). However, I also probably could have done with emphasizing the academic elements of musical training and how it complements law (make them connect). I applied moderately late. I didn't do additional essays for anyone but NYU and that essay (AnBryce) was also bit of a mess (probably more so - my app schedule was like 'today you must write a PS, tomorrow you must write a diversity statement, the next day you must complete your AnBryce essay'). My work experience is TTTT (I'm a server and have been since graduating and I'm competing with 'I've been consulting at X posh firm for y number of years' types) but that also - perhaps - could have been woven in better: like labor law issues I've witnessed/maltreatment of employees etc. In the aggregate, they were probably enough to F me.
Neither being a music major nor having TTTT work experience should be holding you back. We have plenty of both of those here. Being a music major is actually super cool, as long as you make it clear why you're pivoting to law in your application.

Did you date your recommender's daughter or something? Seriously, the only thing I can figure out is that they wrote something along the lines of "never admit this guy under any circumstance," so I'd check that out if I were you. Not even a terrible PS should be able to screw a 4.05/174 this bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Sat May 03, 2014 10:06 am

I would call a couple schools you are on the wait list at and speak candidly with them about your continued interest and the possibility of any WL action.

This worked for me during my cycle. They will probably give your application a second look and realize a valuable commodity has slipped through the cracks. I'm sure most of the schools you are on the WL at just assume you have great offers, so the best thing is to really let them know about genuine interest.

You don't need to decide to reapply right now as there could be a significant amount of WL movement in the next month and a half - if you get off you still have 2 months or so to figure out the logistics.

Wiggly

Bronze

Post by Wiggly » Sat May 03, 2014 11:40 am

Last edited by Wiggly on Sun May 25, 2014 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustMe83

New

Post by JustMe83 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:29 pm

0L but I thought I;d share my thoughts here. Are we really sure that being a music major isn't a negative soft? I stumbled on http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MIlawhopeful on LSN a little while ago, who struck out pretty hard with a 170/3.93 and music major. Not to be critical of the major, but I think it's definitely something that at least the T6 or so could not like since it's less academically focused than a lib arts or science type major. So, yeah, I would say that your PS really needs to demonstrate your interest in law (esp. if your resume doesn't) and your academic credentials. Did you apply to the lower T-14 at all? I'd imagine at least one of them would have given you some serious $$$ based on your numbers alone

But also, I don't see any reason not to take H if you get in off the WL, especially if you qualify for max need-based grant monies. This is an objectively great outcome and I personally wouldn't hold out another year for a shot at Y or a named scholarship at CCN if I wanted to go this year and got H, just saying...

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sun May 04, 2014 2:33 pm

JustMe83 wrote:0L but I thought I;d share my thoughts here. Are we really sure that being a music major isn't a negative soft? I stumbled on http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MIlawhopeful on LSN a little while ago, who struck out pretty hard with a 170/3.93 and music major. Not to be critical of the major, but I think it's definitely something that at least the T6 or so could not like since it's less academically focused than a lib arts or science type major. So, yeah, I would say that your PS really needs to demonstrate your interest in law (esp. if your resume doesn't) and your academic credentials. Did you apply to the lower T-14 at all? I'd imagine at least one of them would have given you some serious $$$ based on your numbers alone

But also, I don't see any reason not to take H if you get in off the WL, especially if you qualify for max need-based grant monies. This is an objectively great outcome and I personally wouldn't hold out another year for a shot at Y or a named scholarship at CCN if I wanted to go this year and got H, just saying...
There are quite a few music majors at my school. I doubt that's an issue. If anything, I would think it's kind of a plus versus your dime a dozen poli sci major.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”