NYU ($) vs GULC ($$) vs Waitlists? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
shha

New

NYU ($) vs GULC ($$) vs Waitlists?

Post by shha » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:24 am

-The schools you are considering
NYU (10K/year), Georgetown (35K/year), waitlisted at Harvard, haven’t heard back from Stanford.

-Cost of Attendance
NYU: 213K
Georgetown: 111K
Harvard & Stanford (if accepted): probably sticker, so around 245K?

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
Family. Money is not the main concern, but merit based scholly would definitely be nice and might be able to boost my somewhat of a low self-esteem haha.

-Ties
For undergrad, I went to Berkeley. However, most of my family members live in Asia. I have an older brother and a few friends living in NYC. Other than that, no ties anywhere.

-Your general career goals
At this point I’m not too sure, but I want to be able to make use of my foreign language skills (I speak two east asian languages, and I’m working on my third one atm) so definitely something related to international law. An “ideal” position for me in the future is practicing at a foreign branch in one of the firms in the US.

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
169/4.07. Took it twice and I have no plans to retake it.

So that’s the basic outline of my current situation. Here are two questions that I hope some of you may be able to give me some additional advice on:

1) If money is not the biggest concern, is waiting for HS decisions worth giving up the schollys? I’m also considering emailing HS to ask if I can receive a response by next week.

2) Basically a similar question as the one above but more specific… If it comes down to making a choice between NYU and Georgetown for the scholarships, is the additional prestige of NYU, which ranks considerably higher than GULC, worth forgoing the 35K per year? Should I try negotiating with NYU first?

Apologies in advance if this issue has been raised many times before. Thank you so much for reading this long post!

lecsa

Bronze

Re: NYU ($) vs GULC ($$) vs Waitlists?

Post by lecsa » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:29 am

Tough one. I'd lean towards Georgetown but keep in mind less than half the class gets biglaw and fed clerkships. I may consider retaking and reapplying.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:47 am

NYU and it isn't close. With $$ concerns off the table, go to the best school to which you're admitted. I imagine your language skills will be most useful in NYC or LA, so NYU gives you the added benefit of being at the hub for international deals/transactions.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:03 am

Why would you have to choose between a school and the waitlists right now? Just deposit at one of the two and hang on the waitlists til school starts. Between NYU and GULC for me it would depend just how much money isn't a concern. If 100k isn't a big deal to your family, take NYU. If they'll feel it, take GULC. Also absolutely try to negotiate with NYU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”