Duke or Defer Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MrSebastian

New

Duke or Defer

Post by MrSebastian » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:54 pm

This is an update for a previous post I made. I applied very late to my schools (most of them in March) and am WL at Penn, UVA, Mich and Gtown. I was also unable to apply to other schools like NYU and Berk because their apps closed before I could apply.

My stats are 170/3.6, and I was previously considering deferring a year and reapplying the days apps open. However, I recently got a Duke acceptance and am strongly considering it. I know its great for BigLaw (better numbers than UVA, Berk and Mich) and I don't mind Durham. I'm still waiting on financial aid/scholly info but I'm confident I'll get something (Dukes pretty good with aid). Oh, and I'm not sure where I want to practice yet but would still like to have the south and texas as options for now.

Anyway, I wanted to know whether you guys think its still worth waiting a year to potentially move up a few spots in the ranking. I know Dukes a T10, but I'm hoping I'm not underselling myself with my numbers.

Thx!

ph14

Gold

Re: Duke or Defer

Post by ph14 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:49 pm

MrSebastian wrote:This is an update for a previous post I made. I applied very late to my schools (most of them in March) and am WL at Penn, UVA, Mich and Gtown. I was also unable to apply to other schools like NYU and Berk because their apps closed before I could apply.

My stats are 170/3.6, and I was previously considering deferring a year and reapplying the days apps open. However, I recently got a Duke acceptance and am strongly considering it. I know its great for BigLaw (better numbers than UVA, Berk and Mich) and I don't mind Durham. I'm still waiting on financial aid/scholly info but I'm confident I'll get something (Dukes pretty good with aid). Oh, and I'm not sure where I want to practice yet but would still like to have the south and texas as options for now.

Anyway, I wanted to know whether you guys think its still worth waiting a year to potentially move up a few spots in the ranking. I know Dukes a T10, but I'm hoping I'm not underselling myself with my numbers.

Thx!
Would you rather spend 3 years at those other schools? Where do you want to work during your summers and after graduation?

Shortterm12

New

Post by Shortterm12 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Do you mean waiting a year? I think most deferrals are binding. Have you been accepted to other schools with $$?

MrSebastian

New

Post by MrSebastian » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Shortterm12 wrote:Do you mean waiting a year? I think most deferrals are binding. Have you been accepted to other schools with $$?
By defer I mean I would decline the acceptance and reapply to schools next cycle. Should've clarified that.

And I don't know where I want to end up/spend summers yet. But def want a school with strong national placement.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:20 pm

Duke is a great place for your goals. That said, we really need to hear about $$ here. If you're close to sticker, I'd say reapply. If you get a fat stack, then go Dook.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”