Advice for Somone Interested in Legal Academia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell with 150k total aid or NYU 50k total aid

Cornell
44%
NYU
21%
If not off WL, reapply in 1-3 years
35%

Total votes: 34

billydaduck

New

Re: Advice for Somone Interested in Legal Academia

Post by billydaduck » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:24 pm

These posts have made me think I should probably wait and reapply (if for no other reason to get more aid at NYU).

I think I could probably get another article published by the time I would reapply which would hopefully, along with other changes, make a difference in scholarship money.

Thank you all for input.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:26 pm

billydaduck wrote:These posts have made me think I should probably wait and reapply (if for no other reason to get more aid at NYU).

I think I could probably get another article published by the time I would reapply which would hopefully, along with other changes, make a difference in scholarship money.

Thank you all for input.
Law school admissions are largely numbers based, as you probably know, so don't withdraw and reapply on the grounds that an additional published article is going to make a difference in scholarship money.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 pm

ph14 wrote:
billydaduck wrote:These posts have made me think I should probably wait and reapply (if for no other reason to get more aid at NYU).

Thank you all for input.
Law school admissions are largely numbers based, as you probably know, so don't withdraw and reapply on the grounds that an additional published article is going to make a difference in scholarship money.
Yes, I agree - I don't think publishing an article will make a difference in admissions/scholarships. It may help you for developing a research agenda and putting you in a better position to pursue that agenda in school. But law school really isn't geared towards placing people in academia and doesn't weight stuff like publications very heavily (it's almost all UGPA and LSAT). I mean, publications are nice and a reasonable soft, but one more won't make a difference.

billydaduck

New

Post by billydaduck » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:32 pm

Thus the point of "along with other changes". I am presuming my LSAT will increase at least 2 points.

GPA is more or less fixed at this point... I might gain .02... winning at the margin!

I am operating under the presumption that these sort of increases will give me a strong chance of moving from Yale Waitlist one cycle to Yale Admit the next but who knows what will happen in fac review.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:34 pm

billydaduck wrote:Thus the point of "along with other changes". I am presuming my LSAT will increase at least 2 points.

GPA is more or less fixed at this point... I might gain .02... winning at the margin!

I am operating under the presumption that these sort of increases will give me a strong chance of moving from Yale Waitlist one cycle to Yale Admit the next but who knows what will happen in fac review.
Yeah, a 2 point increase in LSAT is worth withdrawing and applying. Hopefully you can get some more scholarship money or otherwise improve your cycle. Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”