Alabama ($$) or William and Mary ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
spunkyjoe

New

Alabama ($$) or William and Mary ($)

Post by spunkyjoe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:45 pm

I've done my best, first time creating this style of post. Appreciate you all working with me here.

-Schools being considered- University of Alabama at 15k a year scholarship or William and Mary at 10k a year. The Alabama scholarship requires me to maintain a top 50% class standing. The William and Mary scholarship only requires a C average. (60% retention rate versus 100%)

-Alabama would be 90k total COA OOS, William and Mary 125K COA OOS

-20k saved, Stafford and Gradplus Loans for the rest

-From Georgia, but have family ties to Northern VA (Arlington and DC) and New York

-A decent education, as well as being able to eventually work in lobbying (state-level, not federal). I've worked for 4 years in state-level politics in Georgia and have decent connections to the Metro DC area as well.

-A 155 LSAT (Forgive me...) and 3.82 GPA. I've only taken the LSAT once.

Thanks again for your suggestions all.

KatyMarie

Silver

Re: Alabama ($$) or William and Mary ($)

Post by KatyMarie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:53 pm

spunkyjoe wrote:I've done my best, first time creating this style of post. Appreciate you all working with me here.

-Schools being considered- University of Alabama at 15k a year scholarship or William and Mary at 10k a year. The Alabama scholarship requires me to maintain a top 50% class standing. The William and Mary scholarship only requires a C average. (60% retention rate versus 100%)

-From Georgia, but have family ties to Northern VA (Arlington and DC) and New York

-A decent education, as well as being able to eventually work in lobbying (state-level, not federal). I've worked for 4 years in state-level politics in Georgia and have decent connections to the Metro DC area as well.

You're only going to get sit out/retake advice with that LSAT/GPA combo on here.

Where do you want to work?

spunkyjoe

New

Post by spunkyjoe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:30 pm

KatyMarie wrote:
spunkyjoe wrote:I've done my best, first time creating this style of post. Appreciate you all working with me here.

You're only going to get sit out/retake advice with that LSAT/GPA combo on here.

I'd definitely prefer VA and the surrounding region. I've been in the South for 8 years, getting kind of tired of it haha

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:35 pm

spunkyjoe wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:

I'd definitely prefer VA and the surrounding region. I've been in the South for 8 years, getting kind of tired of it haha
Then you definitely don't need to go to Alabama, which will place you in Alabama.

You need to retake and reapply. W&M may be a decent choice for you but not at 125k.

And if you want to get into lobbying, the traditional method of going to law school to get there is not really applicable anymore. If you go and work for a big firm that has a lobbying group then that's a possibility, but you won't get one of those jobs from these schools. I would recommend a different route if that is your ultimate goal--law school is a terrible way to reach it and will be a waste of money.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Is the $125k including the $20k you have saved or not? If not, you're looking at more like $150k easy at time of repayment for W&M, which as deadpanic said, is way too much for W&M. You absolutely must retake for a reasonable shot at employment that can service your debt successfully.

Neither Alabama or W&M would be a bad choice for $50k-$75k or so, but that'll mean basically full rides at either or close to it. It's hard to picture debt and what payments of $1500/month on standard repayment will feel like, but they can be painful. Really think through this decision and whether you're making the best decision for both your short-term and long-term financial future.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Why is law school the best way to get the job that you want?

eljefe1

Bronze

Post by eljefe1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:40 pm

Moody's here. This is a Aaa for sure. Aa1 at worst. Go ahead.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:07 pm

Retake.

spunkyjoe

New

Post by spunkyjoe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:44 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:Is the $125k including the $20k you have saved or not? If not, you're looking at more like $150k easy at time of repayment for W&M, which as deadpanic said, is way too much for W&M. You absolutely must retake for a reasonable shot at employment that can service your debt successfully.

Neither Alabama or W&M would be a bad choice for $50k-$75k or so, but that'll mean basically full rides at either or close to it. It's hard to picture debt and what payments of $1500/month on standard repayment will feel like, but they can be painful. Really think through this decision and whether you're making the best decision for both your short-term and long-term financial future.
It would not be including the 20k I have saved. That's just available to possibly avoid taking Gradplus the first year (those origination fees are stupid).

I'm leaning towards retake or defer also as I didn't study at all for the LSAT, just took it on a whim, but facing significant peer pressure to commit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Retake and go to a better school and/or get more $$$$ from Bama or W&M. Wasting your GPA on that LSAT would be a horrible, horrible decision.

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:17 pm

spunkyjoe wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:Is the $125k including the $20k you have saved or not? If not, you're looking at more like $150k easy at time of repayment for W&M, which as deadpanic said, is way too much for W&M. You absolutely must retake for a reasonable shot at employment that can service your debt successfully.

It would not be including the 20k I have saved. That's just available to possibly avoid taking Gradplus the first year (those origination fees are stupid).

I'm leaning towards retake or defer also as I didn't study at all for the LSAT, just took it on a whim, but facing significant peer pressure to commit.
If you didn't study for the LSAT at all and got a 155, you are going to KILL it with a proper study routine.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:17 pm

spunkyjoe wrote:

155 w/o studying = easily 165+ if you apply yourself. Unless those people applying the peer pressure are willing to make your loan payments, ignore them and retake. This isn't much of a decision.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:49 pm

BigZuck wrote:Why is law school the best way to get the job that you want?
This

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:16 pm

Retake and reapply and then thank us all next year when you're choosing among T14s with money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”