Take the money and Run; YS - CCNH? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cal Trask

Gold

Re: Take the money and Run; YS - CCNH?

Post by Cal Trask » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:52 pm

needs more emu facts.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:16 pm

I guess Yale really is the most preftigious. This 17 year old had the choice and knows best.

FuriousDuck

Silver

Post by FuriousDuck » Thu May 01, 2014 3:58 am

Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue May 13, 2014 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Thu May 01, 2014 4:01 am

:lol:

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Thu May 01, 2014 5:44 am

FuriousDuck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:he is a rancid sperglord
Guys! Guys! Everybody! Listen! This term just gave me the best idea!

Imagine a post-apocalyptic scenario in which everyone without autism is killed off by some mysterious disease, or mystical force, or what have you. A new social order emerges based on the autism spectrum. At the very top sit a ruling class composed of the high-IQ Asperger's set. Drama and intrigue ensue as they jockey for power.

I give you Sperglords: The Television Series. It would be like Game of Thrones, but with less violence and sex, and more long, drawn out arguments about trivial bullshit.
The violence and the sex will still be there, but just not pleasing to look at any more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Thu May 01, 2014 6:21 am

Someone find the Esquire magazine article from 2000 about the HLS class of 1990. It's called who is killing the great lawyers of Harvard.
It's super old, but worth reading for purposes of this thread.
I'm on my way out the door and don't have time.
(Not prestigious just late for cab.)

SnakySalmon

Bronze

Post by SnakySalmon » Thu May 01, 2014 6:41 am

NYSprague wrote:Someone find the Esquire magazine article from 2000 about the HLS class of 1990. It's called who is killing the great lawyers of Harvard.
Found it, stopped reading at "Harvard law desires inner beauty."

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Thu May 01, 2014 6:49 am

NYSprague wrote:Someone find the Esquire magazine article from 2000 about the HLS class of 1990. It's called who is killing the great lawyers of Harvard.
http://www.esquire.com/features/killing ... rvard-0800

(if you're not prestigious then what am i)

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Thu May 01, 2014 7:24 am

heythatslife wrote:
FuriousDuck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:he is a rancid sperglord
Guys! Guys! Everybody! Listen! This term just gave me the best idea!

Imagine a post-apocalyptic scenario in which everyone without autism is killed off by some mysterious disease, or mystical force, or what have you. A new social order emerges based on the autism spectrum. At the very top sit a ruling class composed of the high-IQ Asperger's set. Drama and intrigue ensue as they jockey for power.

I give you Sperglords: The Television Series. It would be like Game of Thrones, but with less violence and sex, and more long, drawn out arguments about trivial bullshit.
The violence and the sex will still be there, but just not pleasing to look at any more.
Why do TLSers find it appropriate to continue to post ableist comments like it's nbd?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:50 am

Balthy wrote:

Greatest thing I've read this year

FuriousDuck

Silver

Post by FuriousDuck » Thu May 01, 2014 8:03 am

Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue May 06, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Thu May 01, 2014 8:10 am

FuriousDuck wrote:
buffalo_ wrote: Why do TLSers find it appropriate to continue to post ableist comments like it's nbd?
People don't take Asperger's seriously; society seems to consider it fair game for comedy for the most part. "Sperg" is just a hilarious sounding syllable. Also, despite being in the "Choosing a Law School" forum, there are a lot of loungers here, who tend to be a lot less PC. For the record, I am actually interested in how diplomatic relations in a world ruled by people with Asperger's would work. I think got the idea from the whole "wrong world" notion that a lot of people with Asperger's have.
I don't think this necessarily makes it okay, or appropriate. Even if there are a lot of "loungers," it sets a precedent for new posters (you know people who need the Choosing board). I see it with "retard" on these board a lot too (though much less common than "sperg" or "aspy"). Frankly it's disappointing to see it tolerated. I get the sense the mods work to control racism (which is why AA is so touchy on these boards). I would hope the mods would do more to curtail this sort of ableist rhetoric as well. It's not even part of a critical discussion, just mean offhand remarks.

FuriousDuck

Silver

Post by FuriousDuck » Thu May 01, 2014 8:34 am

Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue May 06, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Thu May 01, 2014 9:17 am

This convo with the duck and drake got me wondering, can humor even exist without some sort of ridicule? WIthout someone possibly feeling bad? I once chuckled at a fart, the most innocuous subject of humor I can think of, and the girl who had farted started crying. What is the world coming to?

SnakySalmon

Bronze

Post by SnakySalmon » Thu May 01, 2014 9:18 am

Balthy wrote:This convo with the duck and drake got me wondering, can humor even exist without some sort of ridicule? WIthout someone possibly feeling bad? I once chuckled at a fart, the most innocuous subject of humor I can think of, and the girl who had farted started crying. What is the world coming to?
I think that the general rule is to punch up, not down.

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Thu May 01, 2014 9:49 am

Self-deprecating is always okay (and usually the funniest). There is a difference between someone being offended and bigotry.

Laughing at a fart is okay. She probably wasn't crying because you were making fun of her, she was crying because she was embarrassed that she farted. Everyone farts. You aren't categorically assigning negative stereotypes to an entire class of people by using the word "fart" in a derogatory sense.

"Aspy" and "Sperg" are easily offensive. It is no different than making fun of someone based on race, gender, or sexuality. The disabled are a protected class, as per the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Mental and physical disability are usually present from birth and those who suffer from it cannot choose not to suffer from it. There exist deeply ingrained stereotypes that limit these individuals socially and economically. It is very different from a fart. It is a ridiculous analogy.

Not to mention I took no issue with the "comedy" itself. The issue is with the assignment of the terms "sperg" and "aspy" to explicitly negative things. It's closer to when someone calls someone "gay" as an insult. It isn't a joke about gay people (not that it would be any more appropriate), but it is by associating "gay" with insulting that there becomes an issue.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 01, 2014 10:07 am

buffalo_ wrote:Self-deprecating is always okay (and usually the funniest). There is a difference between someone being offended and bigotry.

Laughing at a fart is okay. She probably wasn't crying because you were making fun of her, she was crying because she was embarrassed that she farted. Everyone farts. You aren't categorically assigning negative stereotypes to an entire class of people by using the word "fart" in a derogatory sense.

"Aspy" and "Sperg" are easily offensive. It is no different than making fun of someone based on race, gender, or sexuality. The disabled are a protected class, as per the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Mental and physical disability are usually present from birth and those who suffer from it cannot choose not to suffer from it. There exist deeply ingrained stereotypes that limit these individuals socially and economically. It is very different from a fart. It is a ridiculous analogy.

Not to mention I took no issue with the "comedy" itself. The issue is with the assignment of the terms "sperg" and "aspy" to explicitly negative things. It's closer to when someone calls someone "gay" as an insult. It isn't a joke about gay people (not that it would be any more appropriate), but it is by associating "gay" with insulting that there becomes an issue.
This is a valid criticism and maybe we should be more careful with loaded diction. it's also more of a spectrum/threshold question. I suppose there needs to be a less offensive way to point out when particular posters are evincing severe social awkwardness, which is a noted problem in law school (most people are perfectly socialized but the challenged set feature as a larger % than their counterparts in the population at large). It's a large part of why some students strike out at oci. Also mostly these people stay in the library/underground IRL so you only have to interact with them when they're holding everyone in for another 10 minutes of class with a stupid question: psa, just because you can retain some anonymity on the internet doesn't mean you can (or more should) go full-blown episodic nervous-delusional tantrum.

I don't want to sound like I'm advocating social exclusion. People just need to control themselves.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Thu May 01, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:07 am

Last edited by jk148706 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Thu May 01, 2014 10:14 am

Lol to be clear I wasn't analogizing laughing at a fart to anything, just giving an example of how a harmless joke can still hurt someone's feelings. Good point though.. that it's not just about possibly hurting someone's feelings but also perpetuating negative stereotypes.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Thu May 01, 2014 10:19 am

SnakySalmon wrote:
Found it, stopped reading at "Harvard law desires inner beauty."
Keep.reading
You missed "you won't find many people, at least those still in law, who love their lives."
Also, tuition was $25,000. and starting salaries were $90,000. And people were considered to be owned by their firms.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Thu May 01, 2014 10:23 am

Cicero76 wrote:
Balthy wrote:

Thanks Balthy.

Cicero: wish there was a current version of this article.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Thu May 01, 2014 10:25 am

Balthy wrote:Lol to be clear I wasn't analogizing laughing at a fart to anything, just giving an example of how a harmless joke can still hurt someone's feelings. Good point though.. that it's not just about possibly hurting someone's feelings but also perpetuating negative stereotypes.
I didn't mean to call you out specifically. Maybe it is just because your 'tar is so deep in thought about the pointlessness of everything. I just wanted to make it clear that I think there is little justification for using language of bigotry.

mono172000

New

Post by mono172000 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:31 pm

NYSprague wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
Balthy wrote:

Thanks Balthy.

Cicero: wish there was a current version of this article.

Really interesting read. Wanted to see what's happened to all of them since it was written, so I did a little digging. Figured I'd share. Ranges from the unbelievable, to the impressive, to the extremely unfortunate.

Victor: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2005/ ... -campaign/ (he lost and is apparently still cab lawyering --LinkRemoved--)

Andrea: http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/dire ... 180/Kramer

Chris: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 85707.html (I think he's working as a freelance attorney now. Clearly had a rough go of it.)

Greg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Giraldo (I imagine most people already knew this).

Robert (author): --LinkRemoved--

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu May 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Interesting, thanks for following that up

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Thu May 01, 2014 5:12 pm

holy crap that was depressing

Seriously? What are you waiting for?