Duke vs. Emory Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
randawg91

New

Duke vs. Emory

Post by randawg91 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Duke's seat deposit is coming up on Friday, and I'm trying to figure out which one to attend (sadly, Duke makes me withdraw all outstanding seat deposits, which would include the one to Emory). I want some flexibility regarding my eventual location (Atlanta vs. LA vs. maybe DC). I'm from Georgia, and think I may be able to get 100% or close to it to Emory (I currently have about 70%), hence the Emory interest. I have the first year's tuition in scholarship to Duke and loved its campus, but have some concerns about it socially. I would appreciate any input!

KatyMarie

Silver

Re: Duke vs. Emory

Post by KatyMarie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:59 pm

randawg91 wrote:Duke's seat deposit is coming up on Friday, and I'm trying to figure out which one to attend (sadly, Duke makes me withdraw all outstanding seat deposits, which would include the one to Emory). I want some flexibility regarding my eventual location (Atlanta vs. LA vs. maybe DC). I'm from Georgia, and think I may be able to get 100% or close to it to Emory (I currently have about 70%), hence the Emory interest. I have the first year's tuition in scholarship to Duke and loved its campus, but have some concerns about it socially. I would appreciate any input!
What are your total costs of debt as they stand right now for the two schools? Emory isn't going to offer you a full ride unless you're a Woodruff Scholar and that ship has sailed. The most they offer in aid outside of that is 120k I think.

randawg91

New

Post by randawg91 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:07 pm

KatyMarie wrote:
randawg91 wrote:Duke's seat deposit is coming up on Friday, and I'm trying to figure out which one to attend (sadly, Duke makes me withdraw all outstanding seat deposits, which would include the one to Emory). I want some flexibility regarding my eventual location (Atlanta vs. LA vs. maybe DC). I'm from Georgia, and think I may be able to get 100% or close to it to Emory (I currently have about 70%), hence the Emory interest. I have the first year's tuition in scholarship to Duke and loved its campus, but have some concerns about it socially. I would appreciate any input!
What are your total costs of debt as they stand right now for the two schools? Emory isn't going to offer you a full ride unless you're a Woodruff Scholar and that ship has sailed. The most they offer in aid outside of that is 120k I think.
I'm in a lucky enough position to where my debt will be minimal if any after graduation

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Duke.

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:09 pm

randawg91 wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:
I'm in a lucky enough position to where my debt will be minimal if any after graduation
Then go to Duke. I don't get what the question is. I mean, I'm a 0L and on top that don't really get the dynamics of families with money, but why wouldn't you just go to the best school you got into if your parents or whoever is going to be paying?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

randawg91

New

Post by randawg91 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:17 pm

KatyMarie wrote:
randawg91 wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:
Then go to Duke. I don't get what the question is. I mean, I'm a 0L and on top that don't really get the dynamics of families with money, but why wouldn't you just go to the best school you got into if your parents or whoever is going to be paying?
Mostly because I still care about whether or not my family would be paying a significant amount of money or not, along with the fact that I actually live in Georgia. I completely understand why Duke would seem like the obvious choice though, just trying to get some feedback.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:22 pm

randawg91 wrote:Mostly because I still care about whether or not my family would be paying a significant amount of money or not, along with the fact that I actually live in Georgia. I completely understand why Duke would seem like the obvious choice though, just trying to get some feedback.
I am going to Emory in the fall and really wish I had this choice. From what I've read, Duke has the ability to outcompete in Atlanta versus Vanderbilt/Emory/UGA, if that is where you want to end up. Due to your concern for your family, however, I would present both options plus COA to your family and let them make the decision on how much they are willing to finance. Put the financial decision in their hands to eliminate your concern.

eljefe1

Bronze

Post by eljefe1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:22 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/duke/emory/

What do you want to do with your JD? Where do you want to practice? So many other questions to ask and information to be supplied.

What kind of problems do you have with respect to the society of Duke's campus? Just curious.
Last edited by eljefe1 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Duke. Not close.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:31 pm

randawg91 wrote: Mostly because I still care about whether or not my family would be paying a significant amount of money or not, along with the fact that I actually live in Georgia. I completely understand why Duke would seem like the obvious choice though, just trying to get some feedback.
I actually live in GA too, and want to go back to GA to work, and I'm making a somewhat similar choice (except with Debt, not free money), and it's still Duke.

Go to Duke. Your family must be wealthy/stable if they can pay to put you through private law school. Why would you limit yourself for the rest of your career for no financial gain whatsoever?

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Duke for sure.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:09 pm

eljefe1 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/duke/emory/

What do you want to do with your JD? Where do you want to practice? So many other questions to ask and information to be supplied.

What kind of problems do you have with respect to the society of Duke's campus? Just curious.
Comparing schools? Cool new feature from LST.

Emory's school-funded rate is 23%? :shock: And somehow I suspect that Emory's school-funded jobs are not in the same league as UVA's or Yale's.

randawg91

New

Post by randawg91 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks for the help errybody

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:28 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Emory's school-funded rate is 23%? :shock: And somehow I suspect that Emory's school-funded jobs are not in the same league as UVA's or Yale's.
It's a program with $1,500 per month stipend intended to place students with judges, PDs, and prosecutors.

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:34 pm

HRomanus wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Emory's school-funded rate is 23%? :shock: And somehow I suspect that Emory's school-funded jobs are not in the same league as UVA's or Yale's.
It's a program with $1,500 per month stipend intended to place students with judges, PDs, and prosecutors.
That 23% number is a little bit scary in my opinion. But it's a little bit scary out there for everyone I guess.

"If stipend-supplemented jobs are factored out, Emory's employment rate would drop from 94.2 percent to 72.9 percent for full-time, long-term jobs and from 83.6 percent to 62.3 percent for full-time, long-term jobs requiring a law degree. That would drop Emory from having the highest employment rate among Georgia's law schools to fourth-highest."

http://www.dailyreportonline.com/id=120 ... z2zYxnmJJ6

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:41 pm

KatyMarie wrote:
HRomanus wrote:
That 23% number is a little bit scary in my opinion. But it's a little bit scary out there for everyone I guess.

"If stipend-supplemented jobs are factored out, Emory's employment rate would drop from 94.2 percent to 72.9 percent for full-time, long-term jobs and from 83.6 percent to 62.3 percent for full-time, long-term jobs requiring a law degree. That would drop Emory from having the highest employment rate among Georgia's law schools to fourth-highest."

http://www.dailyreportonline.com/id=120 ... z2zYxnmJJ6
Agreed. The $1,500 number is even scarier - I made more than out two weeks out of UG! I am going to give the school a call this week and inquire about how many students from the Class of 2012 are still involved in the program and how quickly the Class of 2013 were hired out of it.

To those who know the market, where are Emory grads being employed? It looks like 10% are in NYC and some are in Atlanta BigLaw, but where do the rest go (particularly the 16% in 2-10 person firms)?

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 pm

duke is a whole nother league than emory.

the folks at emory would have you believe otherwise but theyre mistaken

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrjohnsterman

Bronze

Post by mrjohnsterman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:40 pm

ELS student here, (ELS student who has done well and gotten ([assuming I'm not no offered] the job I wanted). Go to Duke. When it comes down to it you go to professional school to get a job and Duke is far better at that than Emory is at helping its students get jobs.

But like seriously, go to Duke.

unless you are really into walking....
Last edited by mrjohnsterman on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:00 pm

KatyMarie wrote:
randawg91 wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:
There is still an opportunity cost to money that is enormous when we are talking about $100-300,000 that could be invested and grow at 9% annually. E.g., $300k turns into over $6 million pretax over 35 years at 9%.

Now will Yale at sticker open $6M worth of opportunities over a career more than another school at a full ride and stipend? Maybe, but there is an easy cost-based analysis that can be done to analyze the situation properly. If someone is giving you free money, there is obviously a cost to blowing the entire amount on a one-time purchase rather than invest it.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Duke because yolo

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”